• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Upright Man

Reaction score

Give The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss a burl.

That's a good recommendation.

My favourite fantasy series is the Magician series by Raymond E Feist. However, I mostly read non fiction nowadays. Free Will by Sam Harris is a great book/starting point for anyone wanting to challenge their ideas about the subject. It's also very short and can be read in one sitting.

Smudge

Reaction score
Interest check on a Lubiam 1911 incredibly fine (lightweight) beige suit 50L (fits me and I'm a 40R, 33 waist ), SB with 3 buttons. Bought from Harrold's a few years ago and only worn a handful of times. Great for summer. Looking to sell as moving back to UK (unlikely to use in near future :facepalm:). Will put on B&S but thought I'd check here first (hope this is OK, mods). If you're in Sydney conservative business dress, happy for you to inspect.

PM if interested.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
woohoo my first pair of AE's (walnut strands) arrived. They are a tad tight at the top near lacing, but i think sizing is close to spot on.
also any ideas on darkening these? i feel the walnut is a tad too light for my liking.

Grats mate, I joined and got mine a cpl of weeks back. Your strands look quite light although it could be the camera, mine were a bit darker fortunately (personal preference), anyway as others have suggested the walnut polish from AE itself will darken them (I have read some people using the chilli polish as well) or you could try the light brown or cognac. Whilst you need to avoid using it often the Saphir Reno-mat will be your friend if you apply one and aren't happy with the results. Theres some interesting tips in the shoe care thread as well, various oils to darken leathers etc.

Ended up getting the walnut daltons as well, just deciding now whether to go for the Shell Cordovan ones or use the money to buy a cpl of other pairs. Damn the ease of online shopping and these forums :p

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, please. Tolkien did not invent orcs, or elves, or introduce war to fantasy writing, or high fantasy (which is an oxymoron in any case). All of these things were done before and were popular.

At best Tolkien was an early writer if these things in modern English (which is a stretch considering Shakespeare also wrote about many similar things). Let's not invent new history here.

Will write more when I'm not on a tablet.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Strands do look like they are lighter than average. However, it's a fact of online shopping that often what you get doesn't exactly meet your expectations. I find that when this happens, the path to happiness is to change your expectations :)

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys, please. Tolkien did not invent orcs, or elves, or introduce war to fantasy writing, or high fantasy (which is an oxymoron in any case). All of these things were done before and were popular.
At best Tolkien was an early writer if these things in modern English (which is a stretch considering Shakespeare also wrote about many similar things). Let's not invent new history here.
Will write more when I'm not on a tablet.

Best not to go off the tablets suddenly

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

That's a good recommendation.
My favourite fantasy series is the Magician series by Raymond E Feist. However, I mostly read non fiction nowadays. Free Will by Sam Harris is a great book/starting point for anyone wanting to challenge their ideas about the subject. It's also very short and can be read in one sitting.

Agree magician my fave book... Lost interest into the riftwar saga .. I enjoyed the original characters

Robert Meredith

Reaction score
Recently started reading again heavily after a few years off, getting right back into fantasy / sci-fi.

Fantasy
Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson - it's a pretty tough read at first, but definitely worth it.
The Bartimeus Trilogy by Jonathon Stroud is a little lighter, and also very good.
Sabriel and the two others by Garth Nix (I think that's his name, been a few years since I read them).
+1 for the Name of the Wind.
Kingkiller Chronicles (read first two recently, very good).
Sword of Shannara / Redwall series for more 'childy' fantasy.
David Eddings - Belgarath the Sorcerer (and the earlier series).
Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson

Sci-Fi
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Dune series by Frank and Brian Herbert, obviously.
Everything by Isaac Asimov, but especially the Foundation series.
Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sadly no accounting for public taste. Don't see how The Hobbit can be turned into three films sounds as if the book has been turned into a machine for making money.
That said when I was a teenager I did enjoy TLOTR.
TehBunny
I have very ecletic reading tastes. Depends what your looking for I guess. I did enjoy various books from the Culture series Iain M Banks, grand sifi in the space opera tradition.
Just finished Toby's Room the second book in a new series by Pat Barker but would recommend reading Life Class first that is if you enjoy historical fiction about the Great War.
Currently reading Umbrella by Will Self also read Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan also with numerous books on mens fashion.
As for GOT I haven't read the books but do enjoy the series both in terms of the story and its production values. Mind you I also enjoyed the Newsroom this past year.

Geoffrey , sounds like you (and a few others) should join we erudite chaps on the 2013 50 Book Challenge thread. :)

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy New Year!!!!!

Is anyone else broke? I blew all my vacation money in 2 weeks on SF clothing.

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hehe nicely done, what goodies did you end up with from your shopping spree vacation?
Some nice stuff: jeans, cashmere jumper from BB, Fox Umbrella, awesome polos etc.

I tried applying for a 28 degree credit card. Being a student with an annual income less than $6,000, the whole process went down like a lead balloon. At least they were kind enough to send me a rejection letter. What happened to easy credit?

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone looking for driving mocs in the sale should wear a pair of the DJs Milana Fuoco brand (around $90 on sale). Like walking on cushions with no heel shock like other types. Made in Italy. I bought three colours.

Best not to go off the tablets suddenly

:crackup:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads