1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

X-post selfie

First morning of proper Autumn weather (down under 5 deg C)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Coat: Herringbone Sydney
    Shirt: Cottonwork
    Tie: Henry Carter 7 fold
    Trousers: Light grey HY flannel
    Shoes: Herring Reading
    PS: Random

2. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

Nope.

3. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

I'm with you 100 percent on this PoP... Apart from it looking cleaner, I also think a placket is a quite common detail (a bit like double-cuffs now days) hence a clean front can also be a subtle point of differentiation from the pack. At the end of the day I imagine that its only going to be the clothing enthusiasts that will really notices this sort of thing.

4. Romp

Romp Senior member

I think first paragraph of fxh is very job and situation dependent. I agree with the vertical line but sometimes the pocket stuffed with receipts and pen can look a bit "professor"

2nd para is something Ive always adhered to as well - rarely cufflinks, no tie bars, suede shoes and mixing texture and material for interest. I even want a sleek pair of black suede shoes for business use.[​IMG]

5. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

6. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Me too. I'm thinking of ordering a pair from Zee's. Just plain Jane, black suede captoe oxfords. My only worry is fading.

7. Robert Meredith

Robert Meredith Well-Known Member

Had a great chat with Richard from Ludlow's when he was down here last week measuring people up for legal wear. Nice guy.

Definitely have to get around a Melbourne trip soon to pop into the store. It's been about 3 years since I was up that way, so I think there's a lot of new places I'd like to check out (Double Monk for one).

8. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

This talk of black suede shoes is madness, MADNESS I tell you

9. Orchie

Orchie Well-Known Member

Can you only purchase HY online?

Grant

10. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Coincidentally, Richard has a pair of black suede chukka boots (C&J Tetburys) that look great with his suits and odd trousers.

11. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

The 18th of April could be a fitting time :). As I mentioned on my thread, invites will be emailed out this week week if you've bought off me before, but all of SF is invited. Al I ask is you RSVP so we can get an idea of numbers for the night.

[​IMG]

12. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I think we may be talking slightly across purposes here - by French front I don't mean hidden buttons. This is what I understand is a "French front":

[​IMG]

This is as opposed to a hidden placket, which is really most suitable for black tie IMO:

[​IMG]

A French front shirt does look more refined (which - depending on your disposition and trade - may be good or bad). As Checkstar mentioned, 99% of store bought shirts - even the nicer ones - have a regular placket, so a Ffront is a little detail that sets you apart from the herd but not in a showy way. Same with rounded cuffs (whether they be double or single) as OTR shirts usually have square or diagonal-cut cuffs.

As for pockets in shirts, I agree they are practical but when you actually use them how you're meant to (i.e. stuff them full of your cards, pens, 8c/L fuel discount dockets, bank passbooks etc.) it looks messy, or as Romp said, (nutty) professor. Wallets, card holders, and jacket / trouser pockets all do the job of holding and concealing your crap better than your shirt does..

As for pens in pockets: not even once. They leak and it's game over for your day and the shirt.

13. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

My understanding of French fronts was the same as fxh's.

I dislike pockets in my shirts. Looks sleaker without IMO.

14. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

So, this is not a French front?

[​IMG]

I suppose I still have a lot to learn.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  15. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

I presume you mean these Mr Nelson.

http://shoemakersofmelbourne.com/christian-kimber-launch/
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cary Grant was also known for his black suede shoes.

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2008/09/black-suede-shoes.html
    [​IMG]

Jason - i am definitely in for the Trunk Show, esp. given that I have placed an order, but I will RSVP appropriately to (via email) so you can easily work out numbers. Looking forward to it.

16. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

The famous French-Italian shirt front:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I think the term French Front has dropped out of circulation to be honest. When I initially replied to TBM question I thought of using the term. I then went and consulted a number of mens wear books and no mention of was made in sections on shirts. Another term for hidden buttoned dress shirts is 'Fly front' and a formal or soup and fish dress shirt was known as a 'boiler' due to the washing requirements to remove starch.

18. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

I have only one dress shirt with a placket, a 'Keaton' model by RLPL. I don't really like the placket, as I tie asymmetrical knots (double four,
    Prince Albert), and have to fuss over positioning the knot so the placket doesn't show unevenly.

19. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

I prefer plackets, in general. A French front looks asymmetical to me, as the only vertical line is off-center.

20. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.