• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbosaurus

Reaction score

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like braces, but I worry that braces look very affected on younger gentlemen. I think they are a bit "flashy" day to day for wear in a lot of professions.

Older men can get away with it a lot easier.

it all depends on whether you're looking to make a statement and stand out I suppose.

Thoughts?

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I had all my trousers (that are part of a suit) converted a couple of years back and have never looked back. So much more comfortable than wearing a belt.

Considering that no one is supposed to see them I wasn't overly worried about it. Also I was about 29 at the time.

npvpositive

Reaction score
+1. I've seen the unrefinery piece before, and tend to agree!
I like some of Patrick Johnson's style, but really didn't like the plaited cord that he used to hold his glasses (as shown in the pic above) - particularly as, just as in the pic above, it seemed to be connected to the wrong arm of his glasses.
I've noticed that Alan See, of The Armoury, has unfortunately started wearing a cord from his lapel buttonhole recently, which he apparently uses as a keychain.
Then again, there have been some other egregious things going on at The Armoury lately, too: http://lnsee.tumblr.com/image/35333310035
His co-worker/employee really needs to do something with that tie - and why on earth is he wearing clip-on braces? (Although, having said that, I was surprised to see Ethan wearing clip-on braces in one of the photos on his "Rugged Old Salt" blog a month or two back.)

Couldn't agree more about the Armoury . . . the clip-ons must go!!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like braces, but I worry that braces look very affected on younger gentlemen. I think they are a bit "flashy" day to day for wear in a lot of professions.
Older men can get away with it a lot easier.
it all depends on whether you're looking to make a statement and stand out I suppose.
Thoughts?

I suppose that it depends on what sort of braces you wear, and what sort of outfits you wear them with.

I wear braces sometimes, as I've got several suits that are made for them, and I usually wear pretty conservative shirts, ties and pocket squares when I'm wearing braces. I also have some friends who are in their twenties who wear braces a lot, and again they both dress conservatively - grenadine or silk print ties, relatively plain pocket squares, relatively unobtrusive shoes.

Also, the braces that I tend to wear are quite conservative and quiet - plain burgundy, plain navy, or navy with wine stripes and so on.

I agree that you could, if not cautious, come across as affected and as trying to emulate Gordon Gekko, but if you choose conservative colours and patterns, I think that it looks good. Also, as others such as appolyon have noted, wearing braces with a well-cut pair of trousers feels very comfortable.

Last edited:

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like opinions on this too please
smile.gif

On leather goods, does anyone have any recommendations of brands/stores to look at for a decent leather folio? Just looking for something to hold a note pad and a couple of A4 reports.
No specified price range at the moment, just trying to get an idea of what is out there.
In terms of actual stores, I use these guys:

http://www.huntleather.com.au/business/leather-folios.html

They are pretty damn good. Aside from that, there are all the American leather stores.

EDIT: Beaten by Dartagnan Red.

Rob - the il bisonte is glorious.

I ended up getting the zip around, because I am a cheap skate: http://www.huntleather.com.au/hunt-zip-around-envelope.html

Looks like a few people have tried Hunt Leather.

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
ive got an il bisonte leather folio i picked up in florence. Only to find that Hunt leather sold the same thing for about the same price!

so ill back hunt leather here for my fave store.

this is mine http://www.huntleather.com.au/il-bisonte-zip-folio.html ... in cognac although i regret not getting natural.

I find that its probably not big enough - needs another slip

Last edited:

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They are that much more comfortable? Tempting.
Do you need to order the pants with any special dimensions or adjustments (other than, obviously, getting no belt loops, side tabs and internal buttons for the braces)?

If you can, a fishtail back is very brace-friendly.

I suppose that it depends on what sort of braces you wear, and what sort of outfits you wear them with.
I wear braces sometimes, as I've got several suits that are made for them, and I usually wear pretty conservative shirts, ties and pocket squares when I'm wearing braces. I also have some friends who are in their twenties who wear braces a lot, and again they both dress conservatively - grenadine or silk print ties, relatively plain pocket squares, relatively unobtrusive shoes.
Also, the braces that I tend to wear are quite conservative and quiet - plain burgundy, plain navy, or navy with wine stripes and so on.
I agree that you could, if not cautious, come across as affected and as trying to emulate Gordon Gekko, but if you choose conservative colours and patterns, I think that it looks good. Also, as others such as appolyon have noted, wearing braces with a well-cut pair of trousers feels very comfortable.

And if you keep your jacket on, as I do, no one will even notice. :D

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
+1. I've seen the unrefinery piece before, and tend to agree!
I like some of Patrick Johnson's style, but really didn't like the plaited cord that he used to hold his glasses (as shown in the pic above) - particularly as, just as in the pic above, it seemed to be connected to the wrong arm of his glasses.
I've noticed that Alan See, of The Armoury, has unfortunately started wearing a cord from his lapel buttonhole recently, which he apparently uses as a keychain.
Then again, there have been some other egregious things going on at The Armoury lately, too: http://lnsee.tumblr.com/image/35333310035
His co-worker/employee really needs to do something with that tie - and why on earth is he wearing clip-on braces? (Although, having said that, I was surprised to see Ethan wearing clip-on braces in one of the photos on his "Rugged Old Salt" blog a month or two back.)
Some style blogs seem to present it as one of two choices. You can either go the oversized black suit with trotters look pioneered by Australian men, or the bloggerblue-superpeaklapels-doublebreasted-bracelets-doublemonks-lapelpin look. There is indeed an in between, which is I imagine where most of us fit in.

Clip on braces I can understand partially. They might not be traditional, but they still remain functional. That extra long tie blade thing I've been seeing a bit of, it is ridiculous. To tie your tie like that and get a blade that long, you must be a pretty short guy, and accentuating this just makes you look shorter.

The bracelet thing just reminds me of this, which if you haven't seen is just indescribable : http://richkidsofinstagram.tumblr.com/

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Im not sure i understand the "function" of braces on MTM/bespoke trousers that have side tabs. Unless its for the look?

You need fishtails for braces... or an OTR fat-man suit :)

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a fishtail back is something that goes a bit far (ie I don't think I would feel comfortable wearing a pair of trousers with this) - so it's not 100% necessary for wearing braces?

And yeah - do you need side tabs as well if you get pants made for braces? Do they just then enable you to wear them without the braces if you need to?

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
MTM/bespoke pants are suppose to be your size ... so you dont need a belt.. why do you need braces?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads