• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JayH

Reaction score
I have heard from a mate that if you ask the sender to declare the item as a "repair" duties and tax won't be payable on items valued at $1,000+. However I have never tired it....

OzWino

Reaction score
Thanks gents for the import duties info. Very helpful. I was contemplating a vintage watch from Europe, so i will definitely need to take it into account. (Or try the 'repair' approach.)

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OTOH if you get caught lying on the documentation that's not a good time either. I mean it's unlikely someone will know that the item isn't being repaired, or is worth more, or whatever. But if they call to say "hey we've googled this, it's worth X but it's declared at Y could you forward us a receipt please?" then you're stuffed.

...and if something goes wrong (item damaged or lost in transit) you'd want the forms to be filled out perfectly.

Someone upstream said the prices were extortionate, well that may be, in England if I get anything shipped I am liable to pay import duties. My Mum shipped a suit over (mine, I just forgot to bring it with me when I left) and guessed a value, I had to pay close to $100AUD (from memory it was £50 and this was before the £ dropped) to collect an item declared at $300 AUD.

Last edited:

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does anyone have any Adele tickets for Sydney for sale (and non extortionate prices)?

jlasya

Reaction score
I would be careful with the 'repair' approach...if you are caught lying you will be up the proverbial creek

Also the repair approach makes the assumption that the item is coming to the country to be repaired and then being exported again or it will be held in under bond

In my line of work we have used this approach for actual repairs on a drill bit coming from a mine site. They asked us to pay the duties/GST and it can be redeemed once the repairs are done and the item is exported

all that just to say...its best not to lie to the authorities

Bravo Sierra

Reaction score
...(edited)

Someone upstream said the prices were extortionate, well that may be, in England if I get anything shipped I am liable to pay import duties. My Mum shipped a suit over (mine, I just forgot to bring it with me when I left) and guessed a value, I had to pay close to $100AUD (from memory it was £50 and this was before the £ dropped) to collect an item declared at $300 AUD.

Ah yes, that dubious honour is mine. My comments were fairly tongue in cheek, though I do have to work on my delivery
smile.gif

I do think we actually get a pretty good deal.

In the spirit of a good debate...
I know why import duties exist. They are supposed to protect a local industry and ensure that our government doesn't miss out on a tariff opportunity.

It is however hard to justify paying such a fee/tax when that industry doesn't exist or is about to be phased out completely a la automotive manufacturing. Considering this event is happening right now, is it therefore likely that we will see a price adjustment in the car industry?

In the short term, definitely not. Everyone is in it to make as much as possible. Once the penny drops within the enlightened customer masses who may protest via the streets or their local MP's, we may see an 'adjustment' of sorts. I know, those rose coloured glasses may need new lenses and we may never see such an event occur but one can hope.

What does this have to do with the price of shoes?
Let me start by saying that I'm a patriot and I always like to buy made in Oz (or wherever it is I am travelling) as much as possible. It supports the local talent and keeps most of the money in the country. I am generalising a lot here and I'm not covering the whole aspect of where the source materials come from but hopefully you get my drift.

I looked at the local (Sydney) bespoke/custom industry before I went overseas to see if I could get anything made onshore due to my specific foot (years of football/soccer, basketball and the wrong shoes having had their impact). The closest thing I saw via Google and pounding the pavement was Andrew McDonald in The Strand but his style is not entirely office friendly and personally does not suit my style preference or needs. My only avenue would be to visit Melbourne as there seem to be more choices at a quick glance. Disappointed, I made a choice to save my money and get something made overseas.

Having visited Alessandro Stella in Italy, and another shoe maker in Poland (Tadeusz Januszkiewicz - also a genius and former podiatrist who charges $750 for a custom made shoe, with shoe trees) I considered taking up the trade and getting out of IT altogether. That is of course once I win the Powerball jackpot.

Being back in Oz I was 'happy' to pay the import duty to protect the local industry (of one shoe maker in Sydney - based on my limited search and knowledge) and will keep looking further afield.

To the group: Do you distinguished gentlemen have any recommendations? Preferably someone with a Podiatrist background or someone who takes into consideration the arch of the foot in their shoe designs? Sydney or Melbourne?

Thank you in advance,
B.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...(edited)

I know why import duties exist.  They are supposed to protect a local industry and ensure that our government doesn't miss out on a tariff opportunity.
I looked at the local (Sydney) bespoke/custom industry before I went overseas to see if I could get anything made onshore due to my specific foot (years of football/soccer, basketball and the wrong shoes having had their impact).  The closest thing I saw via Google and pounding the pavement was Andrew McDonald in The Strand but his style is not entirely office friendly and personally does not suit my style preference or needs.  My only avenue would be to visit Melbourne as there seem to be more choices at a quick glance.  Disappointed, I made a choice to save my money and get something made overseas.  
Having visited Alessandro Stella in Italy, and another shoe maker in Poland (Tadeusz Januszkiewicz - also a genius and former podiatrist who charges $750 for a custom made shoe, with shoe trees) I considered taking up the trade and getting out of IT altogether.  That is of course once I win the Powerball jackpot.
Being back in Oz I was 'happy' to pay the import duty to protect the local industry (of one shoe maker in Sydney - based on my limited search and knowledge) and will keep looking further afield.  
To the group:  Do you distinguished gentlemen have any recommendations?  Preferably someone with a Podiatrist background or someone who takes into consideration the arch of the foot in their shoe designs?  Sydney or Melbourne?
Thank you in advance,
B.
@LonerMatt I'm pretty sure if your mum shipped your (existing) suit over to UK you shouldn't have to pay import duties + VAT. I send various "stuff" to my brother in UK all the time and I'm pretty sure he doesn't have to pay. I must double check with him.

b@Bravo Sierra My mate shooey has had shoes made by Cleverly etc and has had some with built in orthotics. I think he's had mixed results compared to custom inserts etc. From what he says and others who have tried it - it is not always a success and it depends on what you want for your foot. Some things - say a bit wider on one foot @ ball are easier and more successful than others - perhaps say a build up under foot. (Disclaimer: I have a custom hard orthotic insert but I am nether a podiatrist or a high end shoe expert - although on the internet with enough bluster I can be an expert on anything - just ask) Depending on what you need a custom orthotic is useful as you can use it in different footwear. You can also get super thin, super light (and super expensive) carbon inserts made now . Although they can't be altered as conventional ones can.

There are places where you can get a custom last made through orthopaedic shoe places - Bruce Miller from Melbourne is certainly the only (last!) last maker of any volumes and experience in Australia. He used to make (and perhaps still does) lasts for RMW. I don't know if he is still making one off orthopaedic lasts - they were/are not cheap. There's no problem getting an orthopaedic shoe made for you - at least in Melbourne but they will look like orthopedic shoes from the depression era in most cases. There is a couple of young cordwainers who have developed a lot (by that I mean fine work and styling in dress shoes) over the last few years imnsho and if you visit Melbourne they would be be worth chatting to.

Tariffs (barriers/ subsidies) are another thing - they were gradually disappearing, slowly after Hawke and PJK's initial rush, but still on the way out. And imo their removal helped us to be robust enough to cope, better than many other countries, with many of the economic changes over the last 20 years. But now in the Trumpish Zeitgeist are likely to be re-introduced in many cases as a tit for tat but mostly to pander to the feelpinions of the populists on the hard left & right in an ungodly coalition.

Last edited:

Bravo Sierra

Reaction score
Let's get to the important stuff first, where did you play and who do you follow?

In my early years, Poland, Sweden, Germany competitively and finally here in local comps / Summer 7s and Futsal. On and off for about 30 + years.

As to who do I follow...I'm not taking that bait!
Honestly I don't have any favourites in the EPL, Bundesliga etc anymore as I don't have the time with a young family. I don't mind keeping up to date with how Bayern Munich (waiting for the flying bottles) are doing though.

Locally no favourites but I am quite excited about what Melbourne City, Wanderers and Sydney FC have done in terms of the games exposure and crowd numbers (investment, marquee players, branding and identity). Much better than in the early days of Sydney United, Marconi etc and when I tried to find teams to join.

Yourself?

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally my small package from Chicago arrived. Never mind that it arrived in Sydney on the 6th November.

I could say something obscene about the effectiveness of Australia Post but why bother.

Last edited:

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In my early years, Poland, Sweden, Germany competitively and finally here in local comps / Summer 7s and Futsal.  On and off for about 30 + years.

As to who do I follow...I'm not taking that bait!
Honestly I don't have any favourites in the EPL, Bundesliga etc anymore as I don't have the time with a young family.  I don't mind keeping up to date with how Bayern Munich (waiting for the flying bottles) are doing though.

Locally no favourites but I am quite excited about what Melbourne City, Wanderers and Sydney FC have done in terms of the games exposure and crowd numbers (investment, marquee players, branding and identity).  Much better than in the early days of Sydney United, Marconi etc and when I tried to find teams to join.

Yourself?

That's a fantastic involvement in the game. Good to hear. How high up did you play?

I played at school and socially, never reached any great heights. Have followed the game here since the mid seventies, used to watch NSL games all the time and have been a member at Victory since day one. Have coached juniors for about five years and had other involvement in the game. Basically your average tragic.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did your small package at least bring you a gift from Japan?

Sigh, no. Think it discreetly went to Dublin to celebrate with the Irish. Waiting for the photos to show up on Facebook.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's a fantastic involvement in the game. Good to hear. How high up did you play?

I played at school and socially, never reached any great heights. Have followed the game here since the mid seventies, used to watch NSL games all the time and have been a member at Victory since day one. Have coached juniors for about five years and had other involvement in the game. Basically your average tragic.

Yes but have you ever worked the sausage sizzle?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads