• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mind if I re-ask: anyone able to help with tailoring advice and dry cleaners around the Melbourne conservative business dress?

Foxy, and others, have in the past recommended Katrina's in Docklands. I have no first-hand experience.

Gents , please share your view on non white/ pale blue shirts. This includes all the other shades and stripes and such.

More difficult, but can be done. So-called "butcher's stripes" can work well with conservative business dress attire i.e. dark suits. Pale pink, lavender and such can be OK with darker complexions. Palefaces like me should generally avoid them. I note that you rarely if ever wear ties (at least in the fits you post), so patterned shirts might work with plain jackets - but they should be cut to work without a tie. For instance, button-downs.

OK, so that's my advice dispensed for the day. Now I would like to solicit some.

ATTENTION SYDNEYSIDERS:

Can anyone recommend a good deli or supermarket focused on Italian groceries, preferably in the inner-city area? I used to shop at Norton Street Grocer in Bondi Junction, but they have tragically closed. It's hard for me to get to Leichhardt as I don't have a car.

I've searched high and low in the conservative business dress for delicacies such as cotechino sausage and papardelle, and simply can't find them. Even David Jones food hall was of no use.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe Katrina's isn't in Docklands...I might be confused. Wouldn't be the first time.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Katrina's is in Flinders Lane, Sam is in Docklands.

Much support for Sam in Docklands, Katrina's less support than in previous years.

Have used both and found them to be fine for basic alterations. One key differentiator is that Sam is a very nice bloke, the guy at Katrina's can occasionally be brusque.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION SYDNEYSIDERS:

Can anyone recommend a good deli or supermarket focused on Italian groceries, preferably in the inner-city area? I used to shop at Norton Street Grocer in Bondi Junction, but they have tragically closed. It's hard for me to get to Leichhardt as I don't have a car.

I've searched high and low in the conservative business dress for delicacies such as cotechino sausage and papardelle, and simply can't find them. Even David Jones food hall was of no use.

Does Salts Meats Cheese fit the bill? http://www.saltmeatscheese.com.au/

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ATTENTION SYDNEYSIDERS:

Does Salts Meats Cheese fit the bill? http://www.saltmeatscheese.com.au/  
Or Fratelli Fresh? Think there's one in Bridge St now and Macquarie. Or Potts Point.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ATTENTION SYDNEYSIDERS:

Lite rail? Does stop in Taveners Hill.

Potts Point down the Reno Drive end of Macleay St has a couple of good Delis.

Also Edgecliff did/does have a proper Deli.

Last edited:

JayH

Reaction score
In addition to the above - Bottega del Vino on Macleay Street, Potts Point or Fratelli Fresh are my locals, definitely recommend. I think the butcher here has a good range of Italian sausage from time to time.

I also heard Fratelli Fresh is opening in Westfield conservative business dress where Jones the Grocer was..

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sam has recently moved. He is now at 10Guest Lane in the conservative business dress, around the corner from Ludlows. It's called Master Alteration and Dry Cleaning. Much nicer shop outfit. Dropped off a shirt there on Wednesday.

Has anyone gone across Siberia? Just booked tickets to go from St. Petersberg to Beijing via Mongolia.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to know Sam is in conservative business dress now. Very happy with Katrina's myself and get along with the owner but nice to know there's other quality options around.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gone across Siberia? Just booked tickets to go from St. Petersberg to Beijing via Mongolia.

You got the bug, mate.

I'm currently in Guyana - visiting some places were less than 100 people go a year. Very lucky :)

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes - only discovered Fratelli recently via its Macquarie St location. That is definitely just a bar/restaurant. I guess the new Westfield outlet might be more deli-like.

I can also check out the recommendations in Potts Point.

Not sure what/where Tavener's Hill is - anywhere near Norton St Grocer? I didn't realise the light rail went that way.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes - only discovered Fratelli recently via its Macquarie St location. That is definitely just a bar/restaurant. I guess the new Westfield outlet might be more deli-like.

I can also check out the recommendations in Potts Point.

Not sure what/where Tavener's Hill is - anywhere near Norton St Grocer? I didn't realise the light rail went that way.

Mrs GF has corrected me the Station you want is Marion, it the stop past Tavener's Hill, then a short walk to Leichhardt Market Town Plaza.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads