• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
I know people have asked about where to buy denim on here before but it seemed mainly brick and mortar stores. A combination of covid and my being in Adelaide limits options...

Can anyone recommend somewhere good to purchase online? Looking to pick up my first pair of selvedge.

I have one pair of RM Williams jeans with my ideal rise and fit, so I can reference the measurements of that pair when choosing. I can't just buy another pair of those in a different wash because they're a decade old and the maker changed the fabric for that particular model from a 100% cotton to an elastane blend, and changed the cut.

boot_owl

Reaction score
I know people have asked about where to buy denim on here before but it seemed mainly brick and mortar stores. A combination of covid and my being in Adelaide limits options...

Can anyone recommend somewhere good to purchase online? Looking to pick up my first pair of selvedge.

I have one pair of RM Williams jeans with my ideal rise and fit, so I can reference the measurements of that pair when choosing. I can't just buy another pair of those in a different wash because they're a decade old and the maker changed the fabric for that particular model from a 100% cotton to an elastane blend, and changed the cut.

If you truly want to replicate it you can always send it to luxire to copy

zhenjie

Reaction score

Flux in Melbourne do excellent mid-rise selvedge denim. Free shipping right now too.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have one pair of RM Williams jeans with my ideal rise and fit,

These two things make it a bit difficult to purchase online, as it's obviously much more difficult to get a good idea of rise and fit online, and fit is a personal preference.

I've worn quite a few different brands of jeans but about a decade ago found that Uniqlo's jeans tend to fit me really well so I've stuck with them ever since. They use Japanese selvedge cloth and used to make jeans in Japan but (for reasons of cost, obviously) changed to places like Pakistan and China some years back. However, their jeans still fit me really well and have a decent rise, too.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These two things make it a bit difficult to purchase online, as it's obviously much more difficult to get a good idea of rise and fit online, and fit is a personal preference.

I've worn quite a few different brands of jeans but about a decade ago found that Uniqlo's jeans tend to fit me really well so I've stuck with them ever since. They use Japanese selvedge cloth and used to make jeans in Japan but (for reasons of cost, obviously) changed to places like Pakistan and China some years back. However, their jeans still fit me really well and have a decent rise, too.
I'm the same. When I (rarely) buy new jeans, I head straight for the Uniqlo selvedge range. Sometimes hard to get the colour and size I want though.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Fixed now. I think. I don’t know what it was all, about. Probably a bot? Or a Nigerian scam selling shoe polish.
Generally, these are used for internet campaigns, think click farm rather than bots. Copying a real profile ensures realism and thus spam filter avoidance with low effort, especially if the new profile can "friend" your friends (who are confirmed real to Facebook). The profiles are sold in bulk, and used for anything from political propaganda (think coordinated comment section mobs or just seeding Groups with the "right" links) to "liking" businesses and otherwise promoting their products.

You can see the task side of the marketplace by logging on as a "worker" on any of the microtasking websites where often almost all the tasks are something like "log in with these credentials, navigate for 2 minutes, then click on this, share this, etc.".

ovlov

Reaction score

It's a shame we lost Right Hand Distribution. One of the best denim stockists in Australia. I'm not sure what their deal is now because I know the Hindley Street store closed over a year ago but their online store seems to be up and running (but also makes no mention of the B&M closure. Maybe check if there is anything to your liking there and reach out to the owners. If they're still moving stock it could be nice to shop local.

samtalkstyle

Reaction score

My plan was to take the measurements of my RMs and send an enquiry to the stores to see if they had anything with similar rise and cut. I had checked Uniqlo but there was nothing in my size available in a 100% cotton cloth.

Flux's jeans look good but they don't seem to have anything bigger than a 36.

I checked out Luxire on @boot_owl 's recommendation and they're running a special on selvedge cloths for sub-$200, seems like that could be the way to go since I can just get them made to the same measurements.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had checked Uniqlo but there was nothing in my size available in a 100% cotton cloth.

I know that Uniqlo's selvedge is not 100% cotton but it still has a nice, solid, quite dense hand. If you have a Uniqlo store near you and you can bear to wait until shops open up again, I'd say that it's still worth trying on a pair because they're really hard to beat in terms of value (and fit, at least for me).

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
I know that Uniqlo's selvedge is not 100% cotton but it still has a nice, solid, quite dense hand. If you have a Uniqlo store near you and you can bear to wait until shops open up again, I'd say that it's still worth trying on a pair because they're really hard to beat in terms of value (and fit, at least for me).

No Uniqlo stores in Adelaide, unfortunately.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics