• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Journeyman Navy watch cap. The Papa Nui red one that Ethan was wearing at Pitti is wild...don’t think it’s me.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any Aussie retailers or brands sell an OCBD with a decent collar size and roll?

Brooks Brothers. BB shirts have both lined, and unlined collars. The Malaysian-made OCBD shirts have lined collars and cuffs, the US-made (and more expensive) shirts have unlined collars and cuffs.

If you're looking offshore, then try Land's End (although I think that their collars have shrunk a bit over time) or Kamakura Shirts. Kamakura Shirts' OCBD collars have an excellent roll, but their sizing can be difficult to nail down, particularly their sleeve lengths.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any Aussie retailers or brands sell an OCBD with a decent collar size and roll? Or am I gonna have to ship something in from overseas?
I would really just get luxire to make one. You can customize the collar however u want and it’s cheaper than most of the offerings above

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tested out a new mtm operation. Got a lot of things right on the first try

Attachments

• 00520CAD-BC3A-423F-8CEF-9727E776912C.jpeg
    00520CAD-BC3A-423F-8CEF-9727E776912C.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 53F68072-3501-4149-88CD-D5D88CC5D5A6.jpeg
    53F68072-3501-4149-88CD-D5D88CC5D5A6.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 39

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edward McCann. Based in Perth. I’m awaiting two more commissions from him.
The provider of said MTM service. I'm always keen to hear about a new provider, specifically what they managed to achieve for you within the first round.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basically fitted better with more movement room than most of my bespoke suits...decided to try them out after my tailor retired

hschrapel

Reaction score
I see. Good to hear and happy for you.
I'm really keen to get a review from someone who's chosen to go with Open Weaves. I love their look and vibe on with social media and campaigns, but haven't read anywhere what the actual product is like.

For the price, it almost seems like a case of "too good to be true"

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers. BB shirts have both lined, and unlined collars. The Malaysian-made OCBD shirts have lined collars and cuffs, the US-made (and more expensive) shirts have unlined collars and cuffs.

If you're looking offshore, then try Land's End (although I think that their collars have shrunk a bit over time) or Kamakura Shirts. Kamakura Shirts' OCBD collars have an excellent roll, but their sizing can be difficult to nail down, particularly their sleeve lengths.

I've been keeping my eye out for second hand BB, but wasn't aware of the distinction between the Malaysian and US made stuff. I prefer unlined for BD collar so thanks for the tip!

Correct on Lands End having shrunk collars nowadays, checked them out earlier. Haven't looked at Kamakura so I'll have a suss of that as well.

I looked at Spier Mackay as well, but I don't want to pay 30USD shipping on one shirt and not looking to bulk buy. They seem like good value if buying several at once.

I would really just get luxire to make one. You can customize the collar however u want and it’s cheaper than most of the offerings above

Just had a quick look and saw one of their oxford cloths is on sale for a decent price, may have to give them a try. Have you had experience with Luxire?

hschrapel

Reaction score
I've been keeping my eye out for second hand BB, but wasn't aware of the distinction between the Malaysian and US made stuff. I prefer unlined for BD collar so thanks for the tip!

Correct on Lands End having shrunk collars nowadays, checked them out earlier. Haven't looked at Kamakura so I'll have a suss of that as well.

I looked at Spier Mackay as well, but I don't want to pay 30USD shipping on one shirt and not looking to bulk buy. They seem like good value if buying several at once.

Just had a quick look and saw one of their oxford cloths is on sale for a decent price, may have to give them a try. Have you had experience with Luxire?
To touch on S&M, I've been very impressed with my shirts from them. I've purchased a few of their OTR shirts, but have since moved to their MTM service as I'm confident with their OTR Slim fit, but have some specifications that I like altered from their standard fit (i.e. collar length, monogram, slight changes in some areas etc.).

To be frank, I only purchase through their MTM service when they have sales (usually twice a year), and often 20% off. They allow you stack discounts, so they have a 3 or more shirt discount, plus a 20% discount and you have yourself a nice deal. Currently waiting on my last MTM order from them placed in early December, where I've actually asked them to replicate a shirt collar style that @The Chai actually has. We'll see whether or not they can do a decent job with that, but overall, my experience is very positive with them.

Bonus: I currently reside in Stockholm, and the price for a decent OCBD here is somewhere in the range of $200 AUD~ with "unlabeled fabric". In S&M's most recent sale, I was able to get 3 shirts made from 3 different Thomas Mason fabrics discounted to $80 USD a shirt (that's prior to the 3 shirt or more discount and the 20% off) - bargain!.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most of my shirts are made by them

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luxire shirt with a no button unlined button down collar based on the Mercer and son button down collar. I like using unlined linen shirts as my dinner shirts I’m getting two custom polos from them soon

Attachments

• 97B62D37-8AAF-409A-A23D-FB8DBAD02FE4.jpeg
    97B62D37-8AAF-409A-A23D-FB8DBAD02FE4.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 41

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads