• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wowee Zowee

Reaction score
I bought my first pair of GY Welted shoes from Double Monk a few months ago - a pair of C&J double monks. I'm in my very early 20's so this was a significant investment for me. It ended up being almost 900 after the shoe trees, brushes, and polish. I justified it by the fact that I work in a law firm, and I will be wearing these for hopefully many years to come.

At the time I thought going to DM was a decent price after comparing the prices on the C&J website. DM is relatively new in Sydney so I wanted to support them. But I didn't know about the 20% VAT discount at the time. I have recent found out that if I use the mail-order C&J service, even with 50 pounds shipping, the cost is significantly cheaper.

I'm looking to buy the brown (Forest) Jodphur boots from Carmina in the next few months. I'm probably going to order straight from Carmina rather than buying from DM. I simply can't justify the $300 markup of DM in the interests of supporting local business.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
If possible, pay with PayPal, and in the event you need to make a return they'll refund $45 of the return shipping.
With Carmina's free shipping, this is a low risk option.
Checkout The Tannery - currently 20% off a lot of C&J, plus you'll get the further 20% VAT reduction. Shipping is expensive though.

JCL

Reaction score
If possible, pay with PayPal, and in the event you need to make a return they'll refund $45 of the return shipping.
With Carmina's free shipping, this is a low risk option.
Checkout The Tannery - currently 20% off a lot of C&J, plus you'll get the further 20% VAT reduction. Shipping is expensive though.

Thanks for that. I had no idea abou the paypay shipping refund. That makes it very easy to return to Carmina.

C&J do make a deduction for non-MTO. It is about 16.6%. Unfortunately im a size 7 or 8 so nothing on The Tannery fits me!

JCL

Reaction score
I've not had experience with Carmina, but with EG and C&J MTO programs they do not offer the VAT free as they have some sort of no compition agreement with DM (though it still is a better price than DM). For general stock I'd guess this is the same. Carmina might be the same.
To by-pass this I shop from UK and European resellers. Try Skoaktiebolegat for Carmina.

I've checked out Skoaktiebolegat in the past. Are they are reputable seller? (sorry for the stupid question but I have had no experience with them). They are about 10-30$ cheaper than Carmina's site, which gives the already discounted VAT price next to the shoes.

I've heard of some QC issues with Carmina in the past. Perhaps Skoaktiebolegat might have a better stock in that regard.

zjchen11

Reaction score
I bought my first pair of GY Welted shoes from Double Monk a few months ago - a pair of C&J double monks. I'm in my very early 20's so this was a significant investment for me. It ended up being almost 900 after the shoe trees, brushes, and polish. I justified it by the fact that I work in a law firm, and I will be wearing these for hopefully many years to come.

At the time I thought going to DM was a decent price after comparing the prices on the C&J website. DM is relatively new in Sydney so I wanted to support them. But I didn't know about the 20% VAT discount at the time. I have recent found out that if I use the mail-order C&J service, even with 50 pounds shipping, the cost is significantly cheaper.

I'm looking to buy the brown (Forest) Jodphur boots from Carmina in the next few months. I'm probably going to order straight from Carmina rather than buying from DM. I simply can't justify the $300 markup of DM in the interests of supporting local business.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

i bought shoes from them back in 2015 and remembered (in addition to claiming back GST because i was travelling) thinking that i got a bargain because it was cheaper than the ex VAT prices on the C&J website. I am guessing that practice wasn't sustainable...

anyways good job in buying your first pair of C&Js and it will definitely last. My pair is still in pretty good shape (although i do only wear them once a week or fortnight).

Decreased

Reaction score
I've checked out Skoaktiebolegat in the past. Are they are reputable seller? (sorry for the stupid question but I have had no experience with them). They are about 10-30$ cheaper than Carmina's site, which gives the already discounted VAT price next to the shoes.

I've heard of some QC issues with Carmina in the past. Perhaps Skoaktiebolegat might have a better stock in that regard.

Skoak are very reputable, I've contacted them re sizing and they were informative. I'm sure others from this thread have bought off them?

Carmina offer AUD as a display option, and this is more or less what you will pay after vat and including shipping (skoak do too).

The J

Reaction score
I've not had experience with Carmina, but with EG and C&J MTO programs they do not offer the VAT free as they have some sort of no compition agreement with DM (though it still is a better price than DM). For general stock I'd guess this is the same. Carmina might be the same.
To by-pass this I shop from UK and European resellers. Try Skoaktiebolegat for Carmina.

Just made an order for the C&J Oxford in Cordovan with their shoe trees. Can confirm that they do deduct the VAT indeed. :)

Article 26

Reaction score

Skoak are really helpful and very reputable!

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Skoak, I'm currently that Carmina x Uniqlo trackie collab. Picked up a pair of black adelaides oxfords from Skoak a month or so back, but only tried em on now.

Heading up to Sydney in a month for a weekend with the down female, staying locally. Recommendations for trendy restaurants requested.

JCL

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Looks like ill be going with Skoak.

Speaking of Skoak, I'm currently that Carmina x Uniqlo trackie collab. Picked up a pair of black adelaides oxfords from Skoak a month or so back, but only tried em on now.

Heading up to Sydney in a month for a weekend with the down female, staying locally. Recommendations for trendy restaurants requested.

I'd highly recommend Longrain in Surry Hills. Thai cuisine with hints of changes for the Australian palette. Atmosphere is great - dim lit and lovely wooden tables. The only down side is that there is only one massive table that spans accross the room, so you will have to share with others (if you're not into that sort of thing). Alternatively you could sit at the bar. The food is similar to Chin Chin in Melbourne, but I'd say its slightly more upper end of things.

The 5 spice pork hok and egg net salad is to die for.

Decreased

Reaction score
Hi all,

My girlfriend is looking at getting a new leather handbag for under $500.
Are there any brands with the SF stamp of approval?
She was looking at Michael Kors, which I figured could be blindly following the masses. They have a few bags listed as having full-grain leather (e.g. https://www.michaelkors.com/mercer-large-leather-tote/_/R-US_30F6SM9T3L?color=0560) which is at least a good sign?

Thanks for any tips!

Went through something similar with wallets for the better half, went to qvb, strand, Pitt st mall etc, picked through all the wallets, opened them and checked for creasing, checked the lining etc... in the end she liked the styling of a ferragamo one and the leather seemed at least as good as the others so we grabbed that. It was during the sales in June or July, so a lot cheaper than normal.

After 6 weeks or so it looks brand new. Not sure if this would hold for bags too?

robbieshaw1992

Reaction score
Although personally I've sworn off buying any wearable items since she wears precisely none of the previously purchased.

This is one of my greatest fears. I'd like to steer her clear of anything where you're simply paying for a brand name, but ultimately the decision will be hers as to what she gets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads