• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are the decorations in the Ralph Lauren stores authentic?

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just in the Ralph Lauren store in Chicago this weekend and noticed a beautiful chesterfield sofa made of worn brown leather. My friend and I started to wonder whether all the vintage decorations they have in their stores are fabricated to look old or are actually antiques. If they are real I'd love to know where they get them because I love that esthetic.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think they are authentic, at least to me they look like they are. I was in the Chicago store today and noticed once again some of the fine pieces they have.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have read of Ralph Lauren employees going to antique shops and clearing out all their equestrian-related pieces.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many of the antique dealers in London, especially along Portobello Road, have stories of selling to Ralph or "his people". There are two dealers in particular who specialize in sports related items and leather goods that like to point out what "Ralph likes".

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
No, they are faked like Ralph Lipshitz, I mean Lauren.
teacha.gif

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess they are real I just can't believe the number of pieces they have. The leather in the sofa seemed too rough and old not to have ANY cracks which made me wonder about its authenticity. It sure would be a fun job to be one of Ralph's "people".

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nate10184
I guess they are real I just can't believe the number of pieces they have. The leather in the sofa seemed too rough and old not to have ANY cracks which made me wonder about its authenticity. It sure would be a fun job to be one of Ralph's "people".

The guy is a billionaire, his company is one of the most successful American brands in history. They have boat loads of money to throw at image accessories.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
teacha.gif

eh.gif

As posted above, RL's minions are infamous for buying up old lifestyle accessories from flea markets and antique markets, driving the price for old trunks, sports equipment, etc. way, way, up.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of the old shoes they have as decoration are really nice.

jkennett

Reaction score
There is an office dedicated to acquiring these types of items for Ralph Lauren called the Vintage and Antiques Department based off of Madison Avenue in NYC.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
How does someone get a job like this?

Who determines the qualifications for a position of this nature?

Do these people start as regular employees, and then at some point POW! It becomes known they have good taste and should be buying things up?

I would love to have a job where I scoured Garage Sales,antique malls,flea markets, and thrift stores 40-60 hours a week.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score

A working class Jewish boy from the Bronx, dreamed of being an aristocratic, Edwardian WASP.

And now he is.

Good for him (I guess). I'm just not a big fan of "The American Dream".

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A friend of mine worked for RL for a few years buying vintage items. Some of it was for display, and some was for sale (I guess they have vintage departments at the Beverly Hills and NYC stores?)

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's an old guy who is the "head buyer" of vintage items for RL. The Sartorialist photographed him a few times.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads