• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Rimowa polycarbonate suitcases worth the money?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there better alternatives at similar or lower prices? This would be for occasional air travel (and I check my bags).

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Are there better alternatives at similar or lower prices? This would be for occasional air travel (and I check my bags).

You can buy suitcases at TJ Maxx for $30. These are better alternatives since nobody gives a **** about checked bags, and you'd be stupid to spend money on them.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
nobody gives a **** about checked bags
confused.gif
Isn't that the point of buying sturdy luggage?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...Or he means that Rimowa isn't going to get you any stewardess action? ; )

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
confused.gif
Isn't that the point of buying sturdy luggage?

Pretty much all luggage is "sturdy." You can buy a $50 nylon bag that will last for a decade (or longer). People buy the expensive **** for attention, which just means it will get stolen faster.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pretty much all luggage is "sturdy." You can buy a $50 nylon bag that will last for a decade (or longer). People buy the expensive **** for attention, which just means it will get stolen faster.

If you practice this philosophy, then you will learn the hard way that it's completely false.

chas

Reaction score
I am a bit torn on this. I currently use cheap luggage and my main issue is that while I do covet nice luggage; it seems to me that it is better that your luggage doesn't stand out, for obvious reason.

A-Style

Reaction score

If you are still looking for high-end luggage, I went thru the same process and can share my two cents if interested.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd much rather carry expensive carry-on luggage. But I would understand expensive, but durable and not flashy check in luggage.

kaiserkarl

Reaction score
my luggage are the gold rimowas. they are way easy to spot. have not had them stolen yet and i travel a lot.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score

This type of prudence has no place on SF.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
No direct experience with Rimowa polycarb but my regular carry-on roller is a Zero polycarb unit.

There is a place for hard-sided, quality check-in luggage. I used to think that a $50 nylon duffel bag would suffice, until I started bringing back some fragile stuff from my trips. You want something that can protect your gear!

On my last trip to California, I brought back four bottles of wine/whiskey in my check-in luggage. They weren't expensive by SF standards ($70-90/bottle), but they were items I could not easily find in Philadephia. I used a "cheap" nylon roller, after wrapping them with two layers of bubble wrap, putting each bottle in a ziploc bag AND surrounding each bagged bottle with clothes. When I got home, I was stunned to see that one of the bottles had leaked around the cap!

Fortunately the ziploc bag had prevented the leak from damaging the clothes or other bottles, but this goes to show that a "cheap" nylon check-in suitcase cannot do the job, even when the cargo in question is bubble-wrapped and cushioned with clothes.

As a result of this incident, I am buying a decent hardside case for check-in use. I don't think I would go with another polycarb case because frankly they scratch very easily. I love my Zero roller but it generally gets carry-on treatment only. I haven't decided yet but I think I will go with a hardsided 28" spinner of some variety. I don't want to have a repeat of the above incident the next time I go on the road.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads