Are navy chalkstripe trousers OK as odd trousers?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kolecho, Jul 7, 2005.

1. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

I recently made two suits that have jackets that are really uncomfortable. I have decided to put the jackets aside and use the trousers as odd trousers to go with sports jackets, if possibe.

One has a charcoal herringbone fabric. I think that should be fine as odd pants.

The other is dark navy with chalkstripes. I have never obeserved other people wearing chalkstripe odd trousers.

What are the rules?

2. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Striped odd trousers seem to have been rather fashionable lately, so I think this may be a question of whether you are comfortable breaking "the rules" on the altar of fashionability. Or perhaps just a question of where you wear the pants in question. Sartorial Excellence 2 might not be the best venue. [​IMG]

3. dusty

dusty Senior member

I think they look fine with solid sweaters or something (though I'm sure several forum members would disagree), but definitely not with a sportcoat. It would look sort of clownish.

4. Matt

Matt [email protected]

i wouldnt wear em. legs arent meant to be that interesting

5. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

I would do it. However, I would not try to wear it with sportscoats. Wear it with whatever top with casual outter wear. Suede or elegant leather blazers will do too.

But if you must wear sportscoat with it, I would wear it with funky color or textured sportscoat. I would stay away from those boring harringbone patterned grayish sportscoat.

6. Stu

Stu Senior member

I've never been able to pull it off, so I avoid buying chalk-stripe trousers. If you can, all the power to you.

7. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

I have a pair of navy linen chalkstripe trousers that look quite fetching if I say so myself.

8. MilanoStyle

I have 2 chalk stripe pants that is about 3CM apart. One is charcole and the other is dark navy based. I loved them.

9. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

The look is very Banana Republic.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

10. MilanoStyle

Interesting analogy. I really hate what BR is doing these days. They take these attributes from high end sartorial makers and trash them by applying them on their products.

11. auto90403

auto90403 Senior member

Santa Monica, California/McLean, Virginia
    the other day, in a WashDC office building full of old money WASPs, an elderly man got in the elevator with me. he was wearing pinstriped pants, white oxford button down, and a khaki suit jacket.

he looked like an upper-class homeless guy.