• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Huntsman prices fully justified?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Huntsman is the most expensive on the Savile row...
What are your views on this tailoring house?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Short and contentious answer: no.

Slightly longer answer: their designs are a bit more innovative (often not in a good way), so of course there is some overhead from that. But I don't see why it should make a difference for bespoke, even if you stick to their house style.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I haven't. I use a provincial Italian tailor and I'm happy with the results and value. But I've seen lots of SR suits from a number of houses, both online and in real life, and I don't detect any superiority in Huntsman's offerings, unless you think their house style is superior. But then again, many less prestigious tailors would be able to replicate that.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We're buying a bit of history and a certain silhouette that the house cutter will dowith experience and not only reproduce it...
I love the atmosphear of the Row and the magic around it..
I have tried a smaller tailor and I didn't like it...
The choice of cloths was limited....
Do you prefer Anderson&Sheppard?Are you a drape man?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This thread would be more useful if people with actual and substantial experience of Huntsman commented in it. I am aware of one message board poster that has meaningful experience with Huntsman. As I recall, he was very happy with them (and with Sedwell, too), but now uses a firm based in one of the Gulf States (I forget which State or firm).

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great post, Dopey.

One thing justifies price: whether or not people will pay it.

1) Huntsman's prices are high
+
2) Huntsman is in business, meaning people are paying for it, thus
=
3) Their prices are justified.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is the final product ,here the suit , is delivered with high standards?
I don't mind paying if the suit is exceptional...
Andy Warhol or Jason Pollock were selling for millions of paintings ,it doesn't make them more palpable or interesting but art is more an intelectual-based domain compared to tailoring..

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
We're buying a bit of history and a certain silhouette that the house cutter will dowith experience and not only reproduce it...
I love the atmosphear of the Row and the magic around it..
I have tried a smaller tailor and I didn't like it...
The choice of cloths was limited....
Do you prefer Anderson&Sheppard?Are you a drape man?

Cloth choice is a problem, admittedly. But lately I've been sourcing my own material, mostly through the London Lounge.

As for drape, yes, but not as much as seen in recent A&S or Mahon work. I like to see some gentle dimples and waves in the cloth, but I'm not a fan of conspicuously extended shoulders etc. I suppose I don't mind a fairly neat cut, so long as it's reasonably soft. And that's probably why I'm not a huge fan of Huntsman.

As for the atmosphere of the Row, well, I just don't think it's worth the overhead. Certainly not for someone on my budget.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The atmosphere is getting better...
The old guard is getting friendlier now the orders are going south...
The Beotians , like me, are well-received and not only tolerated in these sartorial temples...
I like structured tailoring therefore I will be more comfortable with Huntsman than Anderson...
I like drape but not to the extent seen of some pictures...

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You probably should check out askandy forum on this, believe I saw some thread where people were commenting on Huntsman.

pejsek

Reaction score
I can only comment as a secondary consumer of Huntsman. I buy used pieces--and have for quite some time. Having had the chance to see a wide range of SR tailoring I would have to say that, yes, Huntsman prices are warranted (which is not to say they are worth it). Everything I have seen from Huntsman has been incredibly well-made and well thought out. Some of their proprietary tweeds are very nice. If you have the money and are willing to make a commitment I can't imagine that you would be unhappy with Huntsman. But it probably would be a lot of money.
I think Flusser mentioned that he couldn't imagine a stitch or button ever coming loose on something tailored by Huntsman. That's a good point. If you're looking to pass a wardrobe on to your heirs it's probably hard to beat Huntsman.

Iceball

Reaction score
I wish I could really add a detailed addition to this thread on Huntsman since lasbar's question is one I have been cogitating over myself, given that while I do like more relaxed drape styles I do also like Huntsman's style a great deal. However, my father has several Huntsman items which are clearly excellent quality in cloth and fit. Huntsman also do several of their own Tweeds every couple of years and have an interesting selection of cloths in general.

Construction is again, clearly of high quality. I will have to try Huntsman at some point, currently it is too pricey and not really my general style but has to be done I would think - it would be great to have a few more 'constructed' fit commentators on SF particuarly with Huntsman so, please Lasbar go for it!

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At times I have liked the "Huntsman" single button jacket look too

But am unable to become a customer due to their prices and do not travel to London frequently to get in enough fittings

However there are others who have branched out on their own who have trained/worked there for years.

Our own Edwin DeBoise's brother is one of these alternatives...and he does travel to a few U.S. cities...FYI

Its best to contact him personally (those interested can PM me) per prices...which should be considerably less than those of Huntsman

If you are a pure label whore...then ignore my post

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics