• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Baume and Mercier good watches at $1200?

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a Baume and Mercier watch in the classima line. Looking for a good mid luxury watch at or under $1300.. I ran across a Baume and Mercier watch at $1,075 after various discounts.. I'm a watch novice and did some research on here from some old threads and I found that it might not be the greatest quality and not worth a 2k price tag. My question is it worth a 1k price tag and if not what is it worth? Also what other mid market luxury watches are worth a 1k price tag? Thanks for the help guys!

ellsbebc

Reaction score
Look into Omega. Hamilton offers selections ranging from $500-$1,000. The Jazzmaster is their most popular watch. Add Stowa to the list

Last edited:

RedLeg

Reaction score
I like Baume et Mercier as long as you get an automatic at the right price. They have the same ETA movements as many others, including Hamilton. I'm guessing that $1100 classima is a quartz though, unless you're looking at something used.

What kind of watch are you looking for? Dress watch, diver, sports etc...

If you go with Hamilton, check out their Jazzmaster Maestros.

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Omega Seamaster yes. Sinn and Longines also.

I was looking into Longines as well but I was not able to get a lot of info off the forum... what can you compare it too in terms of quality? Is it better than Baume and Mercier? Or is it better than a Hamilton Jazzmaster because I have seen a couple of those that are good..

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Baume et Mercier as long as you get an automatic at the right price. They have the same ETA movements as many others, including Hamilton. I'm guessing that $1100 classima is a quartz though, unless you're looking at something used.

What kind of watch are you looking for? Dress watch, diver, sports etc...

If you go with Hamilton, check out their Jazzmaster Maestros.

Looking for a dress watch for work Red

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are OK at $500=600 but carry a bargain basement stigma even at that price. So, spend more and consider an entry level Omega, Breitling, Sinn

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are OK at $500=600 but carry a bargain basement stigma even at that price. So, spend more and consider an entry level Omega, Breitling, Sinn

yea but you are talking another 1.5k to 2k.. totally out of my budget right now.. the most I can probably pay is 1800... and I dont want to go to ebay (which seems to be the only online venue that will provide those specific watches at those prices) because I have heard most of those deals are shams...unless someone can recommend an ebay seller that is reputable that will provide said deals..

ellsbebc

Reaction score
I haven't checked on watch prices in several months. At $1.8k you might be able to snag a omega speed master professional used. Put that beauty on a brown croc strap = pure sex

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was looking into Longines as well but I was not able to get a lot of info off the forum... what can you compare it too in terms of quality? Is it better than Baume and Mercier? Or is it better than a Hamilton Jazzmaster because I have seen a couple of those that are good..

Really depends on the watch itself. The column wheel is nice but out of your price range. I also really like the Legend Diver but not really a dress watch.

FYI I saw a Stowa Marine in great shape on Timezone for $675. Came with 2 unused OEM straps as well. Might want to check that out.

Last edited:

RedLeg

Reaction score
The problem with watch shopping is people will always tell you to jump up in price to get that extra quality.

Check out Nomos. German made with all in house movements.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads