1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by pnewelljr, Feb 22, 2015.

1. pnewelljr

pnewelljr Senior member

I am posting this in Streetwear & Denim section, and NOT the Culture section, specifically because I want to start a thread that looks at the Apple Watch from a fashion/style perspective.

I am curious to see where is goes in this community, because watches seem to hold a very interesting place within timeless style, and the Apple Watch may or may not significantly change the way many people look at watches (even expensive ones).

To start, what do people think about the sizes? 38mm and 42mm seem to both be common sizes in Men's watches. Do you think it was Apple's intention that men would get the 42mm (I personally think some of the size exclusive strap choices point to this)?

2. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

No thanks. I'll continue with traditional watches. I prefer 40mm or below.

3. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

I definitely think the gender dichotomy is there, but I would get the 38mm (of course, I have tiny wrists).

That said, I don't have any desire to wear any kind of watch and the Apple Watch isn't likely to change that for me.

4. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

i presume most people will be buying the larger 42mm size since they will want more real estate for pinching and viewing and using

seems pretty large though. i wear a submariner at 40mm which is already huge on my wrist :(

5. pnewelljr

pnewelljr Senior member

Yah, my gut is go big or go home (I have a 6 plus), but I am definitely worried it will look silly on my thin wrists. The fashion/style part of my brain and geek part of my brain or fighting.

6. pnewelljr

pnewelljr Senior member

What do people think about the two metal bands for the Apple Watch (stainless steel)?

Link Bracelet

[​IMG]

Milanese Loop

[​IMG]

7. clotheshorse69

clotheshorse69 Senior member

I will be getting one of these. Nothing like homeless chic while flashing one of these.

8. randomkoreandude

9. pnewelljr

pnewelljr Senior member

Yah, I feel like that one is kind of unique, but can't decide if it looks classy or cheap.

10. ultravisitor

ultravisitor Senior member

Seems dumb. I don't want to buy a disposable watch at Apple prices--and it will be a disposable gadget after a year or two unless Apple makes the very rare move of offering upgradable internals.

I'll stick with my Rolex or occasional Swatches.

11. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

36mm to 38 mm for me. I also have smaller wrists.

Milanese Loop looks cool

12. randomkoreandude

im sure you will be able to flip

i sell my macbook pro's every 2-3 refreshes ... holds amazing value and i think of it as renting/leasing

i hope the watch will be the same

i def wouldnt go for the gold more exp versions if you have a rolex, but i think the midtier (i think at the 1k pricepoint) will be a solid everyday watch. lol you could rock two watches like maradona :embar:

13. GodAtum

GodAtum Senior member

Absolutely ridicuous! I'm sure Brieting and Rolex's are cheaper!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  14. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

I don't see much Apple Watch love here on SF, but I have one and I like it. I think the 42mm works better for me, and I like how easy it is to change the strap. I have the black rubber/sport strap for running, this stainless steel strap I bought on amazon for like $35, and getting a Horween brown leather strap for casual wear.

What I like about the watch is the 'notifications' so I can see text messages, likes on IG, and not have to pull out my phone. I use it for exercise/running which is fine, but would be a lot more useful if it had GPS built-in. And in general, I've received more compliments on this versus my Rolex I wear from time to time; which I guess to the general public it's just more eye-catching

With that said, i'd still gladly trade it for a Rolex Submariner :satisfied:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  15. marvaments

marvaments Senior member

Do you have the ability to look stuff up via siri? Looking to see its utility when I'm in the hospital.

16. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

Yeah, you can prompt Siri by pressing/holding the digial crown (turn wheel) or saying "Hey Siri". I haven't used Siri much but it's pretty responsive. Might depend on what you're asking her. I usually just ask about directions, call someone, weather... Haha

Here is a good link showing the apple watch features: http://www.apple.com/watch/guided-tours

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  17. marvaments

marvaments Senior member

Haha gotcha. Thanks. Oh well went ahead and purchased one, we'll see how it goes. Any potential leads for leather bands?

18. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

Haven't located too many stores that had leather bands, but I actually bought this one on Etsy to give a try: https://www.etsy.com/listing/239071468/apple-watch-band-kit-horween-leather

Should get it later this week so i'll see how it is. Etsy seemed to have a lot of Horween leather options (which i wanted) but it's always a slight gamble on quality/longevity. So, we'll see how it goes!

19. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

I recently got an aftermarket very Herm├ęs like leather cuff strap for my Apple Watch. Here's a short video on it. I really like it consider the cheap price:

[​IMG]