• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

http://www.nonjatta.com/2014/12/Suntory-Price-Hikes.html

Pretty sure these price increases will be implemented in the USA as well.

Oooh that sucks!

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Macallan, I received two bottles of Macallan 12 (from two different people) this Xmas, so it's time to drink some tonight.

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tonight I put Lagavulin's regular ol' 16 up to the DE. Maybe it was just because I had the 16 first, but the DE paled in comparison -- not nearly as much smoke or sweetness. I need to open up the 12 next time too and see how all three compare.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had Yamazaki 18 and Yoichi 20 yr single cask the other night at home with my cousin. While the Yamazaki is really good, it really paled in comparison to the Yoichi

guccihomme

Reaction score

Tonight I put Lagavulin's regular ol' 16 up to the DE.  Maybe it was just because I had the 16 first, but the DE paled in comparison -- not nearly as much smoke or sweetness.  I need to open up the 12 next time too and see how all three compare.  

Lagavulin has nothing compared to Laphroig if you love smoke! None equal the wet leaves smoke

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have yet to open my DE but I'm very interested in your opinion of the 12.

Last edited:

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yeah, Suntory got Laphroaig when it bought Beam.  I think it only has a 25% stake in Macallan (if it still has that).  

As an edit, I didn't know who owned Balvenie, but it appears to be William Grant & Sons, a privately held company which also owns Glenfiddich (and, apparently, now owns Hudson Whiskey too).

I don't think the WG&S whisky's are taking a price increase in 2015 last I heard in MA. Pricing in America is variable from state to state. WG&S also owns Kininvie. I don't think Kininvie is for sale in the states. You can buy it in duty free shops. They also use it in Monkey Shoulder. I tasted the 23 a couple months ago and enjoyed it, it came in a 375 ml.

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My local TotalWine is always out of the Japanese stuff, so i jumped on the one bottle of Hibiki 12 they got in:

Beautiful packaging, and the taste just explodes in your mouth, fantastic stuff. I think i like it a bit more than the Yamazaki that helped make it...

Last edited:

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody try the infamous Yamazaki sherry cask? Been seeing prices and it's just going crazy.
sorry, little late to the thread

this one?

I bought 2 bottles from England back a couple years ago when it was crazy cheap. I'm talking like $95 a bottle or something. I drank one and it was very good. I still have this one and 2 bottles of yamazaki 18 waiting in the stocks

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no, he's talking about the Yamazaki 2013 NAS
Eh, its only going through the roof because people began realizing what a bargin most of the japanese stuff was. It is great stuff but is now getting blown up too quickly

The only difference is the year bottled. (well and the stray note here and there) My NAS is from like 2010 or something

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads