• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No picture, but a friend broke out a bottle of Glengoyne Teapot Dram for NYE. It's only available from the distillery, and has a neat story. The distillery workers used to be allowed three samplings of whisky throughout the day, a three finger pour straight from the cask. They'd rotate expressions throughout the week. Any excess would be poured into a large teapot, the resulting blend would eventually be offered up as well. The modern version is a blend of five different agings, bottled at cask strength. Terrific depth of flavor, and a really big whisky. Drinkable at cask strength (~59%), but opened up nicely with a little water.

I've never had any other Glengoyne to compare it to, unfortunately. Worth a sample if you get a chance.

Last edited:

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No picture, but a friend broke out a bottle of Glengoyne Teapot Dram for NYE. It's only available from the distillery, and has a neat story. The distillery workers used to be allowed three samplings of whisky throughout the day, a three finger pour straight from the cask. They'd rotate expressions throughout the week. Any excess would be poured into a large teapot, the resulting blend would eventually be offered up as well. The modern version is a blend of five different agings, bottled at cask strength. Terrific depth of flavor, and a really big whisky. Drinkable at cask strength (~59%), but opened up nicely with a little water.

I've never had any other Glengoyne to compare it to, unfortunately. Worth a sample if you get a chance.
My wife and I visited their distillery during our honeymoon in 2011. Their 10-year is forgettable, but their 17-year and 21-year offerings are sublime (and harder to find in the US).

Wish I'd known about this -- I'd've used up our entire customs allowance of liquor right there. It sounds delightful. Guess I'll have to go back sometime. Thanks for the tip!

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can ever find an old Glengoyne Scottish Oak kicking around jump on it. Really interesting stuff.

The Phog

Reaction score
Got into Scotch recently, and this thread has been a huge help. I now have a small collection that includes Aberlour A'Bunadh, Highland Park 12, Cragganmore 12, and just today added Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

joelscott7

Reaction score
That's a great start! Another that I would recommend is Glenmorangie original, it is fairly cheap and a sweeter expression that I think is worth having. I also really like the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, it is port finished and a bit different than other expressions.

ronnewman

Reaction score
Any time is a good time for scotch and the port is an excellent choice.

Torsion

Reaction score
I had a dram of Dalwhinnie 15 followed by HP 12 tonight as a break into the weekend.Stocked up on 3 bottles taking advantage of the Xmas sales in UK before coming back to NY.

henrikc

Reaction score
Picked up a bottle of Dalmore 15 today going through duty free. The 70 cl bottle retails for $110 here, I paid just over $60 for the 100 cl bottle. Pretty decent deal.
Looking forward to tasting it!

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had Lagavulin "Double Matured" Distiller's Edition today. Very good if you like that smokey stuff.

Also had JW Blue Label and was not impressed.

Also had Oban (Distiller’s Edition). Was good but wasn't blown away.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got into Scotch recently, and this thread has been a huge help. I now have a small collection that includes Aberlour A'Bunadh, Highland Park 12, Cragganmore 12, and just today added Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

That's a great collection! All fine whiskys.

I envy you guys that get to travel for work...duty free can be awesome!

Even better than that is just being able to buy from another jurisdiction!

Had Lagavulin "Double Matured" Distiller's Edition today. Very good if you like that smokey stuff.

Also had JW Blue Label and was not impressed.

Also had Oban (Distiller’s Edition). Was good but wasn't blown away.

I enjoy the Lagavulin DE a lot, but really enjoy the Oban DE -- it's like my 'everyday' single malt. The saltiness balanced against the sweetness is lovely to me!

~ H

agoldf

Reaction score
I love Laga!!!

I'm not too big a fan of the DEs, I think they too far alter the Laga character.
The Older oogies (04.05) are really good the most recent bottlings (11- ) are not so impressive

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads