• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would agree with the few that have responded saying there is no brand bashing. The previous comment was questioning the validity or justification for the higher priced JL/EG/GG over the AM.

Stating the fact that the AM is less expensive than those other brands is not bashing. It is just stating facts. AM GYW construction also minimizes gemming which can be viewed as superior construction. So again, no bashing. Just a statement of fact.

Along with what others have said, I still love my GYW shoes. In fact, speaking about facts, I frequently commented about the Dover as my absolute favorite Split Toe Derby over any SpT Derby offered by AM.

I guess I, amongst others, wanted to illustrate the value aspect of the lower priced AM vs the higher priced English brands. Which for the price, IMO, is the better buy. When you start adding the Vass and EB into the equation, that's where things get more interesting; since both offer amazing construction and leather for the price.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea the tight waist, when GG first came out I was like wow, then I receive my first AM (AW) waist was tighter than GG

I think most of us who owned JL or GG were astounded at the price of the AM when you saw the shoe first hand. The finish, the fit, and leather quality made you ask, "wait how much did I pay for these AM?!?!".

RishaStyle

Reaction score
When comparing, i would suggest to compare only the objective values such as Leather quality (which includes number of pairs per hide), construction (HW,GYW,BLAKE, etc) (it could become subjective if people begin to think interms of softness of construction, but lets leavr that aside for now) Stitches per inch (more does not necessarily mean better). Having said that, i do understand that we all have personal preferences such as last shape, types of finishing, brand value, type of leather (this does not include quality but different leathers that may be available with one brand and not with the other), etc, which are all subjective values and should not be compared as they are extremely individualistic. One can surely prefer buying one shoe over the other if they feel the subjective value a brand provides is far more important to them than the higher objective value provided by the other brand. However, for the purpose of comparison, it is only fair to consider objective value as that allows everyone to see the object for how it really is without coating them with personal and individual tastes and preferences.

Last edited:

peanutbutterjellychoo

Reaction score
guys guys guys....this is a subjective thread about what we like and don't like. We have all the right to like some brands more than others. i follow and contribute to this thread regularly and there is no "bashing" of other brands going on....

I like many others here have owned just about every mainstream brand out there and all brands offer a different product for a different need and at a different price point. The regular contributors here have just experienced all the brands and think AM is good value for what you are getting. My take is that the regular's input on this thread is not to convince others on this forum why AM is better but we are using this forum as a platform to share our appreciation for this particular maker. I trust that our discussions have been of great benefit to the random reader/lurker's benefit.

Such comments as this accusing us of "bashing" other brands is the exact reason why great contributors to SF such as Thundermarch is no longer contributing. They were once happy to share but constantly get accused of hidden agendas and all kinds of bullshit.

I just wonder why is it only in this thread bashing other brands to enhance AM brand? I dont see other thread bashing other brands like in this thread. It looks like more propaganda then anything else. I dont have any experience with AM myself, but its seems obvious that constantly some of you are bashing other brands to make AM look great.

Last edited:

cliffordcaucus

Reaction score
The difference between bashing and otherwise is that any negative aspects of another brand are only said when someone jumps on the thread wanting a quick answer to “How is AM compared to brand X. I’m thinking of getting a pair...”. There are objective truths tied to the price of some shoes so should we not offer that person a comparison to save them money at least?

It’s not often that happens either. The thread feels homey because there are a handful of us who watch the thread and post, if irregularly. Mostly we’re talking about how we take care of our shoes, sizing, and current/future AM shoes we do or will own (sounds funny when I say it but it’s a hobby). I think someone who wears EG, JLP, or any brand in between, is still a friend because I can walk up and down my city and see maybe one guy wearing a quality pair of leather shoes.

However, people who ask will get an answer. Whether everyone realizes the quality difference between two brands doesn’t affect me other than if they dont agree there might be more of my favorite shoes in my size.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Such comments as this accusing us of "bashing" other brands is the exact reason why great contributors to SF such as Thundermarch is no longer contributing. They were once happy to share but constantly get accused of hidden agendas and all kinds of bullshit.

Funny because I often chat with ThunderM about that very same thing. He, hesitantly, gives me grief about still wearing GYW'd shoes haha.

The difference between bashing and otherwise is that any negative aspects of another brand are only said when someone jumps on the thread wanting a quick answer to “How is AM compared to brand X. I’m thinking of getting a pair...”. There are objective truths tied to the price of some shoes so should we not offer that person a comparison to save them money at least?

It’s not often that happens either. The thread feels homey because there are a handful of us who watch the thread and post, if irregularly. Mostly we’re talking about how we take care of our shoes, sizing, and current/future AM shoes we do or will own (sounds funny when I say it but it’s a hobby). I think someone who wears EG, JLP, or any brand in between, is still a friend because I can walk up and down my city and see maybe one guy wearing a quality pair of leather shoes.

However, people who ask will get an answer. Whether everyone realizes the quality difference between two brands doesn’t affect me other than if they dont agree there might be more of my favorite shoes in my size.

I feel like everyone who purchases higher end shoes from your Meermins, Alden, AEs, AMs upwards to Bespoke are part of a niche community.

I completely understand someone being passionate about their preferred maker. A perceived slight against that maker is essentially an insult towards your purchase decision. Considering it was your money that bought your shoes, we (the thread contributors) seem like we are critizing that decision. Unfortunately, like @cliffordcaucus mentioned when you are asked your opinion, you tend to provide the best possible answer to ensure the questioner has the most useful information.

Sometimes comparing a product to another has that inherent feel of this is better than that. Where the non- selected product is the wrong choice. However because these purchasing decisions are based on preferences and opinions (subjective), the objective answer/action is yours. You found that the higher priced item suited your style better, or the shoe just fit better.

Ultimately, we are all attempting to maximize our purchase potential. Unless of course you have unlimited funds, so just go with whatever floats your boat.

As already mentioned, I believe a minority of us (the "I want to try that brand out" guys) own myriad shoes across a spectrum of different makers. I certainly have seen many of the same names commenting here also comment across EGs threads or StC's threads etc etc. Heck I was able to comment over on the Sons of Henrey thread since I finally picked up a pair (incidently I was more than pleasantly surprised).

At the end of the day, it is just someone's opinion. The only one that counts is yours.
Enjoy wearing your shoes regardless of brand. You are still part of a niche community that appreciates a finely crafted shoe.

Just don't ask me which I like better... I may just tell you ?

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny because I often chat with ThunderM about that very same thing. He, hesitantly, gives me grief about still wearing GYW'd shoes haha.

I feel like everyone who purchases higher end shoes from your Meermins, Alden, AEs, AMs upwards to Bespoke are part of a niche community.

I completely understand someone being passionate about their preferred maker. A perceived slight against that maker is essentially an insult towards your purchase decision. Considering it was your money that bought your shoes, we (the thread contributors) seem like we are critizing that decision. Unfortunately, like @cliffordcaucus mentioned when you are asked your opinion, you tend to provide the best possible answer to ensure the questioner has the most useful information.

Sometimes comparing a product to another has that inherent feel of this is better than that. Where the non- selected product is the wrong choice. However because these purchasing decisions are based on preferences and opinions (subjective), the objective answer/action is yours. You found that the higher priced item suited your style better, or the shoe just fit better.

Ultimately, we are all attempting to maximize our purchase potential. Unless of course you have unlimited funds, so just go with whatever floats your boat.

As already mentioned, I believe a minority of us (the "I want to try that brand out" guys) own myriad shoes across a spectrum of different makers. I certainly have seen many of the same names commenting here also comment across EGs threads or StC's threads etc etc. Heck I was able to comment over on the Sons of Henrey thread since I finally picked up a pair (incidently I was more than pleasantly surprised).

At the end of the day, it is just someone's opinion. The only one that counts is yours.
Enjoy wearing your shoes regardless of brand. You are still part of a niche community that appreciates a finely crafted shoe.

Just don't ask me which I like better... I may just tell you ?
I am not gonna tell you AM ranks the top on my list. :)

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Incidently, I am still on the boat about purchasing a pair of RTW AMs haha. So anyone interested in selling off a pair of black grained captoe derbies (or in a best case scenario GREY) let me know.

I honestly am finding every excuse to throw away my, now, 5 year old beater Black Oak Street Allen Edmonds shoes. They have become my guilty pleasure. Comfortable as hell. They have gone from black to grey (God Bless creams and waxes). I even have weird grey laces on them.

Soooo there you go folks. Have them sitting between my Aurum AMs and Hiro Yanagimachi haha. Talk about giving kudos to a GYW company.

Thilgela

Reaction score
Did AM go to DTC now? There doesn’t seem to be a retailer for it any more (both Sabot and Yeossal dropped).

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Did AM go to DTC now? There doesn’t seem to be a retailer for it any more (both Sabot and Yeossal dropped).

In a way, he has always been ?

However, not quite yet in Japan (Isetan) or China (Medallion).

In China he would still ship to you (although the dealer’s range and minimal shipping cost within China makes the dealer’s offers attractive as well). In Japan I think there are contracts prohibiting him going full-blown DTC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads