• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

And the Groom wore Brioni...

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to share this with someone else who would understand....

I'm getting married, and was going to do so in a Morning suit I'd picked up in a thrift store. It fitted well, but not perfectly (quite a heavy fabric that didn't drape well).

I popped into Beale & Inman on Bond Street today on a whim, because they had 'up to 70% off' posters in the window. It looked a bit sad in there, very few clothes dotted on the hangers. A lot of it was very high quality - Brioni etc at what were relatively reasonable prices (Brioni shirts from £89). They had a rail at the back of the store with one-off merchandise. I didn't expect to find anything, but there was a full set of Brioni morning dress at almost 90% off. I thought it'd be too small, but when I tried it on it fitted perfectly - perhaps the sleeves were 1/4" too short but that's it.

So I'm now getting married in a stunning Brioni suit, purchased for a bargain price!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

CoryB

Reaction score
Morning dress always looks stunning, and Brioni that much more. You must post a picture.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Camera is charging as I type....

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's awesome to hear. Can't wait for the pics. What exactly constitutes a morning suit anyway?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This sounds like it will be awesome. I await pics with bated breath.

jsk40oz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
That's awesome to hear. Can't wait for the pics. What exactly constitutes a morning suit anyway?
morning suits are worn typically anytime before 7pm the jacket is a single breasted peak lapel cutaway front worn with a hickory stripe pant and ascot tie

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Congrats!!!

You were originally thinking of getting married in a Thrift Store Morning coat and ended up with a new Brioni!

Sounds like a good omen and auspicious start to the wedding.

Pictures would be great!

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the fairly poor quality - it shows nothing of the quality of the garment, and relatively little of the fit. I'll try and get some better pictures over the weekend

http://images.fotopic.net/?iid=ylr37e

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heavier fabrics usually drape better...
This was made bespoke for a pupil at Eton College, and appears to have been made of something that could have doubled as cardboard....

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I can't really see the stripes of the trousers, but they are non-pleated I hope?

You may want to see if you can get those sleeves lengthened a bit.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweet! Congratulations on the wedding as well as the clothes!

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Yes, wear it in good health. This Brioni should last you for years with how well made it is.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments - I'll look into getting the sleeves done - I just need to find a *good* alterations tailor in London! I think the trousers are pleated - am I to presume this is against the rules?

This Brioni should last you for years with how well made it is.
It's not as though I'm going to wear it all that often! However, it's an incredibly lightweight / delicate garment - I feel as though I could put my hand through it if I make a wrong move. The upside of this is it feels like nothing else - gently constricting but it moves with me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads