• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alterations

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to start an alterations thread as I see very few information in this forum for anything other than shirts.

I am very familiar with alterations on shirts, usually i get the shoulders to fit and I'll have my tailor take in sides/arms and dart the back for a slim look.

On heavier fabrics, I am not so sure this can be done. My tailor altered this sweater that I gave her to take in the sides, it came back warped. Does anyone have more knowledge on alterations for sweaters and knits? Can you dart a sweater?

Also, what kind of alterations can be done on heavy fabrics like peacoats. I plan on buying the MK2 Jacket from wings and horns this season. I tried it on and there is about 1.5 inches of extra fabric i want to get rid of from each side, can this be done easily?

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a pretty big alteration for something you are gonna drop a big chunk of change on.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats true, I wanted some input from the forum on this. It looks sweet but the small is too small on the shoulders for me.

I mean for button up shirts 1.5 inches from each side wouldn't be that big of a deal. Is it for coats like this one or peacoats?

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagthesam
Thats true, I wanted some input from the forum on this. It looks sweet but the small is too small on the shoulders for me.

I mean for button up shirts 1.5 inches from each side wouldn't be that big of a deal. Is it for coats like this one or peacoats?

Yeah I wouldn't buy it. If it didn't say Wings + Horns on the label you wouldn't buy something that was that off in fit.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok. So for anything like coats, I shouldn't have to have it taken in the sides? Just waist suppression right?

Thanks for the advice.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm.

Finding a good tailor is the equivalent of finding a good relationship. Someone who understands you, doesn't laugh at your silly ideas, and intuitively knows what's right for you. It's a trial end error search, and like marriage, the process of finding a tailor can be a very expensive proposition if it fails. But find the right one and ya gotta nurture that relationship, baby!

Ask those you trust their opinion of that tailor - or ask shop owner who they send their customers to. A shop owner won't make the same referral twice if it bites them **********.

To everyone's point here:
a) spend more for a properly fitted, well designed item, pay less in alterations

b) if it needs drastic alterations, keep walking (unless it's a must-have one of a kind vintage item).

c) woolens and most knits should never need or recieve alterations. Period. Your tailor should have told you that. It'll never wear right. Might as well wash it in the machine.

d) find and keep a tailor who will be honest with you point-blank. If their reputation is worth more to them than a $40 alteration, buy them flowers and learn their name. (tip: if their alterations are done in the front-of-house and near the counter, they have pride in their work, and you can examine how tidy and organized their work is. Also note the machine they use).

e) always make a point of adding alteration costs into the price of an item, and mentally tallying what percentge of the garment price that cost will be.

f) cuff a pair of Gap pants, hem a pair of $300 jeans. Don't waste time and money altering disposables, or just buy them right.

spreadcollar

Reaction score
Knit alterations are a completely different, unapproachable beast from shirt/suit alterations. If someone was even willing to try that, it would cost as much or more than the sweater, I'd guess.
Originally Posted by blynch
Along similar lines, I have a J. crew sweater jacket(last years model, got it for $40 final sale) that could use 1" off the sides. How would that handle tailoring, and what would be a reasonable price to expect?

spreadcollar

Reaction score
You want 1.5 inches gone all the way from the armhole down? Keep looking. At best you can get the waist nipped in. Anything more is major surgery, as far as I know.
Originally Posted by wagthesam
I'm going to start an alterations thread as I see very few information in this forum for anything other than shirts. I am very familiar with alterations on shirts, usually i get the shoulders to fit and I'll have my tailor take in sides/arms and dart the back for a slim look. On heavier fabrics, I am not so sure this can be done. My tailor altered this sweater that I gave her to take in the sides, it came back warped. Does anyone have more knowledge on alterations for sweaters and knits? Can you dart a sweater? Also, what kind of alterations can be done on heavy fabrics like peacoats. I plan on buying the MK2 Jacket from wings and horns this season. I tried it on and there is about 1.5 inches of extra fabric i want to get rid of from each side, can this be done easily?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yelp can also be helpful for finding a good tailor (although most reviews are for women's clothes [which could actually be beneficial since they seem to be more challenging?] it's good for narrowing it down)

And the coat is probably sized for layering, if you didn't try it on with a sweater or something underneath you may not have done it justice

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've never heard of knit sweaters being altered. I would think that would be insanely difficult. Sweaters can have some leeway in fit--you can get away with them not being as precisely fitted as other things.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard of some specialized knit alteration shops, particularly in the Pacific NW.

Here's one, for example, that not only handles alterations but also repairs... http://knitalteration.com/

JaPo

Reaction score
How easy to tailor the sleeves of t-shirts?

Got a few motherfuckers with blousey *****-ass sleeves, which otherwise fit well.

Want to make them considerably tighter so they hug the 13.5" pythons a little closer. Would appreciate the advice before summer truly kicks in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics