• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander Kabbaz shirts

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
$475 for a shirt is way too much. MTM / bespoke T&A shirts (from the NYC store) start at about $290. I find that a bit more reasonable, but it is still way too high.

The best way to purchase shirts in my opinion (without diving into the trial and error territory of Jantzen) is to buy shirts from H&K's sale by mail (they fit me quite well, but your mileage may vary), for around $125 each (depending on the Euro to Dollar ratio, of course), and have your tailor alter the sides of the shirt and length of the sleeves, which should run another $35.

Will it be bespoke? No. Will it be MTM? No, but close. Plus, all the patterns match; the shirts have single-needle stitching, and real shell buttons (and unlike T&A, the buttons don't fall off), plus the standard H&K fabric is nicer and silkier than what T&A uses in their MTM shirts.

So for a total of around $160, I can have a shirt that would cost about twice as much with T&A. Yes, I understand it is not bespoke (does anyone know how much H&K charges for a MTM / bespoke shirt?), but I rather have 3 shirts for $480 than one shirt for $475. Of course, that's just me.

Jon.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I've purchased several of those T&A shirts, and my buttons have never fallen off. I've had the most problem in that regard with Zegna. In fact T&A were my favorite shirts until I ran into these. Good, sturdy construction. Laundered well even at my old dry cleaners who could really be hard on a shirt. And Simon Hobbs is an absolute delight to deal with.

Shirts used to be "my thing" before you guys got me into shoes. Lest you guys think I have unlimited funds, this was in the old days of bigger money in the dot com era here in the Bay Area, and the health care field, which is where I used to work. Still, I rarely pay retail for anything unless I REALLY like it- 2-3 items a year. My clothing budget is miniscule compared to what it used to be. Had Alex and I not agreed on a trade I'd have never got my hands on these beauties. I greatly appreciate his willingness to do so.

And as much as I like T&A, these shirts really are worth that much more IMO.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the user, ken, said. Also, don't forget, you're probably broadening your back and chest area in addition to your shoulder. Â I hope your suits have room to let out....
Well, at least now I'll be able to wear a standard 36. As it is now, I get most of my clothes custom-made because there's virtually nothing in my size... Also, I hate department stores. I used to love them, but now I don't. Too much money for too little. My arms seem to be back to normal. I don't know what caused this. Am I going crazy? If I got a shirt from Mr. Kabbaz, it had better fit perfectly despite whatever strange and weird fluctuations my body goes through.
biggrin.gif

andreyb

Reaction score
Steve B.: Do I understand you correctly? Are you've ordered your bespoke shirts from the distance? Just like one would order from Jantzen?

Mr. Kabbaz's shining image as an uncompromising craftsmen has just sligtly dampened in my eyes...

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Nope- He asked for measurements which I sent. These are some of his fitting samples, which he uses on a trial basis
for new clients. That's why I was surprised they fit so well. Mr. Kabbaz IMO is someone who truly knows his craft.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Andrey:

They are fitting samples, not custom or MTM.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Andrey:

They are fitting samples, not custom or MTM.

regularjoe

Reaction score
My arms seem to be back to normal. I don't know what caused this. Am I going crazy?
The muscles that you work will swell for a period of time after your workout and then subside somewhat as they heal themselves.

Keep working out and the size change will gradually become permenant.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
$475 for a shirt is way too much. MTM / bespoke T&A shirts (from the NYC store) start at about $290. I find that a bit more reasonable, but it is still way too high.
Well, maybe for you, and probably for me. However, if you have the money, if it's important to you, if the result is just what you want, and if you can't get the same result for less, who am I to say that it's way too much?

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, maybe for you, and probably for me. However, if you have the money, if it's important to you, if the result is just what you want, and if you can't get the same result for less, who am I to say that it's way too much?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Respectfully, I doubt Mr. Kabbaz cares if people think his shirts are too expensive. He goes to great lengths to ensure that they are the very best money can buy, and he sells to people who want that attention to detail, regardless of cost. That price may be a poor investment to most of us, but that doesn't mean that Mr. Kabbaz's customers don't find his shirts an excellent value.

naturlaut

Reaction score
but I rather have 3 shirts for $480 than one shirt for $475. Of course, that's just me.
I am at the other extreme end. I would rather spend as much as I could afford on a perfect item than to have a quantity of imperfections I might regret later on. The problem is, once you have something made perfectly for you, you will never want to go back to off-the-rack. I don't think one would even cast so much as a glance at another Borrelli ready-made shirt if he has his best fitting shirt from Mr. Kabbaz (or any others, not that I am equating Mr. Kabbaz with others). Drooling over Borrelli's Royal Collection fabrics, maybe, but certainly wouldn't even dream of buying another off-the-rack.

naturlaut

Reaction score
but I rather have 3 shirts for $480 than one shirt for $475. Of course, that's just me.
I am at the other extreme end. I would rather spend as much as I could afford on a perfect item than to have a quantity of imperfections I might regret later on. The problem is, once you have something made perfectly for you, you will never want to go back to off-the-rack. I don't think one would even cast so much as a glance at another Borrelli ready-made shirt if he has his best fitting shirt from Mr. Kabbaz (or any others, not that I am equating Mr. Kabbaz with others). Drooling over Borrelli's Royal Collection fabrics, maybe, but certainly wouldn't even dream of buying another off-the-rack.

naturlaut

Reaction score
I am at the other extreme end.  I would rather spend all I could afford on a perfect shirt than to have a quantity of less-than-perfect shirts which I would regret later on.  The problem is, once you have had a perfect shirt made for you, you will never want to go back to off-the-rack.  If one were to have a shirt from Mr. Kabbaz, I doubt if he would even cast so much as a glance at another ready-made Borrelli.  Drooling over the Royal Collection fabrics, maybe, but certainly wouldn't even dream of getting their ready-made.

naturlaut

Reaction score
I am at the other extreme end.  I would rather spend all I could afford on a perfect shirt than to have a quantity of less-than-perfect shirts which I would regret later on.  The problem is, once you have had a perfect shirt made for you, you will never want to go back to off-the-rack.  If one were to have a shirt from Mr. Kabbaz, I doubt if he would even cast so much as a glance at another ready-made Borrelli.  Drooling over the Royal Collection fabrics, maybe, but certainly wouldn't even dream of getting their ready-made.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads