• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden in London

ShaneB

Reaction score
Quick question -

Does anyone know of any place at all that sells Alden shoes / boots in London?

The only place that I can find on the internet is the Belfast Berueo, but they sell Aldens at quite a premium (about £600), this to me seems to be an inflated price considering their retail value in the States. It's essentially the same price as G&G or Vass...

Lear

Reaction score
This info from October 2010:

Browns, South Molton Street (and used to see them in 59 Brook Street branch) London, W1.

Trunk, 8 Chiltern Street, London W1

Both had very limited models, but said they could order pretty much anything. Problem being that if they don't fit, you're stuffed. Both shops whack up the price
cry.gif

While you're in Chiltern Street, drop into the new John Simons shop at 46.

Hope that helps

Lear

ShaneB

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I think it'll probably be best to find a proxy - go to Browns and get a general idea of fit and proceed from there. I like Alden's but I don't think they're worth £600.

mrstarks

Reaction score
I finally bit the bullet and got my pair from Browns, South Molton Lane. Nearest tube stop - Bond street y. £485 really. Just got tired of trying to find a means of getting it cheapest plus I was worried about fit.

Tres Bien shop do a wicked price on them plus you get free postage but I was worried about getting the right fit - don't want to be sending shoes back and forth to America and dealing with tax and custom whacks.

I am happy I was able to buy it from the store because I was able to decide properly on the perfect size. Spent a bit of time deciding if I should go for 9 or 9.5. Settled for 9.5 after quite a lengthy deliberation. These shoes are wayyy too expensive to get a wrong sizing/fit.

Poshak Man

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers in London should also carry Alden. And if they have sales similar to those in the US the pricing would get more reasonable.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are priced too high in the UK to be reasonable. They're awful quality shoes, anyway, what are you doing ShaneB?

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They are priced too high in the UK to be reasonable. They're awful quality shoes, anyway, what are you doing ShaneB?

In Italy even Allen Edmonds is considered premium brand and sold at crazy prices.
:facepalm:
:D

Last edited:

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Harrods shoe department (Kurt Geiger) stocks a few Alden models.
(Like everywhere in Europe, only in E width.)

Last edited:

mrstarks

Reaction score
It is annoying we are subjected to incredible price hikes in UK for some clothing and footwear makers that cost a fraction of the price in US. Sadly it is something that one will have to put up with especially in the case of some stuff like Alden where getting the right fit will help you enjoy your footwear to the max. From most of the forward thinking menswear retailers I have spoken to in London, the biggest reasons they have given for this is Postage to UK and our sales tax of 20 percent. I mean, just knocking of the sales tax saves you a lot of money already but that will be illegal now. Anyway, in regards to your claim of Alden being poor quality, I do not know what to say to that. Personal taste definitely I will put it. I happen to think they are definitely well made - although I was a bit baffled it came with no shoe bags. Oh well, I have enjoyed wearing my Aldens so far and look forward to adding a next pair at a more competitive price now that I have settled on my exact fit and size.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Plenty of awful Italian made shoes too, Ich_Dien. A 'Made in Italy' tag is no guarantee of quality. :fence:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads