• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Affordable shirts with longer cut? (Barrel-chested man.)

rob118

Reaction score
Hi. I have a problem finding shirts and sweaters that are the proper length. My "problem" is that I have broad shoulders and a large chest. This means if I wear large shirts, they are long enough but too big and billowy, and actually make me look like I'm hiding a belly; mediums fit in the shoulders and stomach, but my chest tends to take up room that would otherwise hang down a bit more, resulting in sleeve and body lengths that are a bit too short for my comfort-- they usually just cover my belt, and if I bend over or reach up, I end up flashing skin.

While I'm not actually tall (only 5'8"), tall size shirts would seem to be the answer-- but nobody sells medium tall in-store, and they are often out of stock online. I suspect Euro cuts would fit me better, but they're a bit expensive. Anyone know of any affordable (as in, Old Navy or JCPenney-type prices-- I'm in college and have no money) chains that would sell longer cut shirts in-store?

Also, can I pay a tailor to make my existing shirts longer?

kjm

Reaction score
I can definitely identify with your struggle. I'm somewhere between 6'1" and 6'2", and finding shirts that are the proper length is a challenge. For dress shirts, I have been using mytailor.com. You can generally count on Banana Republic and Old Navy for medium talls, but I'm not a big fan of either. J. Crew also has medium talls, but not as consistently.

J. Crew is actually having a pretty good sale right now - 30% off all markdowns. I just bought a couple jersey polos (in medium tall) for $7 each. They have more traditional knit polos in medium tall for $18 each. Those prices are after the discount. Here are links:

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...2319/82319.jsp

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...5930/67465.jsp

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kjm
I can definitely identify with your struggle. I'm somewhere between 6'1" and 6'2", and finding shirts that are the proper length is a challenge. For dress shirts, I have been using mytailor.com. You can generally count on Banana Republic and Old Navy for medium talls, but I'm not a big fan of either. J. Crew also has medium talls, but not as consistently.

J. Crew is actually having a pretty good sale right now - 30% off all markdowns. I just bought a couple jersey polos (in medium tall) for $7 each. They have more traditional knit polos in medium tall for $18 each. Those prices are after the discount. Here are links:

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...2319/82319.jsp

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...5930/67465.jsp

This may not be popular with many SF members, but Macy's is having a 50% off sale on Hillfiger and other dress shirts this weekend. After the discounts, they come to $30-$40 each. I am not sure how slim they are though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads