• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice/Opinions on a sport coat

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_0086 copy.jpg

I picked it up on eBay, and I love the fabric - the color, the texture and the weight. Some how the shape doesn't seem right. I'm the bottom part of the coat looks too wide.

I'll wear it to work which is more casual than formal.

I would very much appreciate feedback. Thanks.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you mind showing us a picture of you with the jacket off (just in shirt and trousers), front and side views? Same perspective/viewing angle. I have some thoughts but don't want to jump to conclusions based on this single photo.

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So your build is not unlike mine -- fairly narrow shoulders and smaller upper torso.

The conundrum is how to get that platonic ideal of the inverted triangle (wider shoulder/chest tapering to a narrower waist) when your body isn't shaped like that.

We talk about whether clothes "fit" here on SF but not enough about how well a particular cut/style complements your particular build. Lots of people seem to want 'slim' cuts but that's not always (in fact, often not) the right choice for their build.

The problem I see is that the sportcoat 'fits' you but doesn't flatter you. It is fairly narrow-shouldered and very lean in the chest. I think you'd benefit from a jacket with a more extended shoulder and a little more room in the chest to provide the illusion of more mass in your upper torso.

In my experience even seemingly small changes can have big visual differences. A 1/2" more shoulder width and another 1" in the chest can look very different. The Armoury Model 3 might be a jacket to check out, for example.

Just my opinion FWIW.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is really good analysis. I think eBay is probably not going to work. It's tough to discern the shape of a coat without a model. It's best for me to actually try it on.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to take it to a tailor to see what adjustments he can make based on a jacket that fits really well. If he can't do it, I'll sell it.

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you will see that our builds are somewhat similar but you have squarer shoulders than I do. But this is a jacket that has a little more room in the chest than yours.
IMG_7090.jpeg

IMG_7129.jpeg

IMG_7149.jpeg

This is an Armoury Model 3. It is just barely OK in terms of jacket length and I probably could shorten the sleeves slightly

Last edited:

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you - super helpful.

I went to the tailor and he said that he can easily fix the coat. He absolutely loved the fabric, which is why I bought it.

He'll have it ready in a week. I'll let folks know how it goes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads