• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on Loro Piana storm system cashmere coats or alternative warm coats

Bingo Little

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a warm, more contemporary-styled coat that can be worn with a suit. I recently tried on the Loro Piana Icer coat, as well as the new Glenwood (at Bergdorfs). Can anyone speak to the warmth of these coats and general quality and actual wind resistance of the Loro Piana storm system? Are there any worthwhile alternatives at a similar price point (or lower price point, as no reason to spend more than necessary...). For example, while the style is clearly different, I tried a traditional Burberry trenchcoat with liner, which seemed very warm.

Bingo Little

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I picked up the Glenwood, but did not alter it yet - want to try it first on a colder, windy day. It is not as heavy as the fully length Icer, but has a hood, which could be worth quite a bit. And the styling of the Glenwood is very nice and slim fitting; the Icer has little form (by design). Some chance I exchange it for an icer, will see... Also looked at what Burberry had to offer, but nothing in my size with warmth available

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're going to "test drive" a very expensive coat on a windy day in NYC... when all the stuff is blowing in the streets and will get embedded in the fabric... and then if you don't like the coat you are going to return it?

Bad style, in my opinion. If it doesn't fit or you don't like the style, fine. But don't wear it out on the street for awhile and then change your mind.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred
You're going to "test drive" a very expensive coat on a windy day in NYC... when all the stuff is blowing in the streets and will get embedded in the fabric... and then if you don't like the coat you are going to return it?

Bad style, in my opinion. If it doesn't fit or you don't like the style, fine. But don't wear it out on the street for awhile and then change your mind.

lol

Bingo Little

Reaction score
Thanks for the color on the hood in the Icer - will take a look.

When I say try the coat, I mean wear it outside of my house for a few minutes, not actually take it around the city for any period of time! I have ethics and would never return a properly worn item.
smile.gif

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the particular coats you are considering, but I've had a Loro Piana storm system coat (wool cashmere blend) for quite a few years, and like it a lot. Completely windproof.

In heavy rain, the wool eventually wets out, but it doesn't get wet on the inside. In use, it works pretty much like a gore-tex membrane for wool fabrics.

I'd recommend the storm system fabrics. I have no complaints with the performance, and I like the look better than typical trenchcoats and the like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads