• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on flipping borrelli ties on ebay

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have flipped two items on Ebay now -- a Samuelsohn suit and the Borrelli shoes -- and am starting to see how this makes a lot of sense.

I was thinking about trying to flip some ties, and was wondering at what price point you think Borrelli ties could be easily flipped. Also, do you think flipping is ethical?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure flipping is ethical. Why not? No one is harmed in my view. EBay is the ultimate laissez-faire marketplace.

As for the price, I assume you've done a search for Borrelli ties to see what they usually go for. There are always Borrelli ties for sale on EBay -- they mostly seem to sell for @$40-45 for ugly brown ones, up to $75-80 or so for classic colors/designs. Kiton 7-folds are the only ones that seem to consistently garner $85-$120+ sales. As with all EBay auctions, having lots of really good pictures with close-up pictures is crucial, as is having the tie's dimensions listed.

aybojs

Reaction score
I've recently got into this on a casual basis, and the real question seems to be whether it's economical. On one hand I watched a someone eBay for $80 the same Kiton tie that I had paid $20 for (bought for my own use) a year ago, on the other I made a grand total of only $5 by flipping a pair of hastily bought PDC jeans that turned out to be women's (TJ Maxx had them in the men's section, I was in too much of a hurry to try them on). I'd say the latter is more likely, especially with lower ticket items like ties than with high dollar items like suits and shoes.

So the caveat is that unless you have a really cheap source or plan on doing a lot of volume, you shouldn't expect to be more than a "just for fun" seller, which is basically where I am now. The only ethical issue I can see is if you just start buying indiscrimnately and returning everything that doesn't sell on a frequent basis so the stores get stuck with the loss. My personal rule of thumb is that I only buy obvious gems or stuff that I might actually want for my own use.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's sort of what I'm thinking. I may have the opportunity to pick up about four or five of the ties in pretty nice colors/designs for about $30 a piece. I figured if I could sell them for $55 - $60, that could give me post fee profits of about $85 - 100. Not a ton, but good spending money. My summer job ended today, so I'm out of work for about three months (although I'm not hurting financially). Maybe I'll just go buy one for myself.

Incidentally, I was thinking of getting into women's clothing (flipping, not wearing), because I saw a bunch of Polo Black Label pant suits that are going to be REALLY cheap soon. But, it turns out that women's dress clothing doesn't do nearly as well as men's clothing does on Ebay. I wonder why?

aybojs

Reaction score
Yeah when I picked up those PDC's, I paid $40 under the assumption that I could get $60-70 on eBay if I decided I didn't want them after all. Then I saw that they were women's jeans and learned that I'd be lucky if they even got bid on at $40.

I had your same tie quandry yesterday. I saw a bunch of Kiton's on sale and thought about buying them all in the hopes of making a little profit on each. Of course I thought it over and decided that I didn't have the balls to try to return a dozen ties if they didn't sell well (most of them were in ugly brownish colors). I ended up just buying a few that I thought I might like; I may very well end up selling/ebaying one or two of them anyway (the ones I'm back and forth on are a cream/ecru with small dots, a green on green pattern, and a 14 micron charcoal wool).

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I sold one of those 14-micron charcoal wool ties for bucks last year...

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
$80 I think, you could probably get more, as I didn't put it up for bid.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whats the difference between flipping and arbitrage? Isn't Ebay just a small scale version of corporate capitalism? (and considering Ebay fees its a elephant unto itself.)

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
profit is profit...
...spoken like a true Ferengi.
biggrin.gif
koji

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads