• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice for Quick NYC Shopping Trip!!

kenny6468

Reaction score
Hi, I'll stay at NYC for the 2 weeks.

Recently, I'm very interested in classic italian style and bought lots of items in my country(Korea).

( for example, Boglioli 3button suits, Crockett and Jones, loake, Magnanni, Tricker's shoes,

Incotex, GTA pants, Bruer(I;m not sure about spell;
wink.gif
tie etc. (Shoes are almost England..^^)

I think this vacation will be great chance to get beautiful wardrobe at reasonable price.^^

Is there anyone to recommend me stores which sells rather classical items (Surely, I prefer on sale store / Outlet)

I've been to Saks, Soho shops, Barney's co-op etc, mostly they have designer's line.

I'll visit Bergdorf goodman, NM, Barney's.

Thank u for reading my poor thread.

TC11201

Reaction score
I know this has been covered elsewhere, but here goes:

- Saks main men's floor has plenty of names which would not be considered "designer" - lots of Zegna, Isaia, Oxxford, Brioni, Cucinelli, Ralph Lauren (purple, black and Polo), Corneliani, Canali, Hickey Freeman, etc., etc., etc., plus the shoe section - basic Edward Green, JM Weston, AE, etc., etc.

- Barney's will have Isaia, Battistoni, Brioni, Kiton, Lanvin 15 Faubourg, may or may not still carry Oxxford, Hickey Freeman, Burberry, Zegna, Canali, along with plenty of other more designery names (Etro, Armani, etc.). Those will be upstairs (6 and 7 I think), shoes, shirts and ties are on the ground floor closest to the 60th st entrance (the Borrelli store willbe across the street). Barney's also has the best jeans selection of the big stores

- NM will carry Brioni, Oxxford, Zegna, Castagnia, Boglioli, etc. Suits and jackets on the second floor of the men's store (east side of fifth ave), ties, shirts, shoes on the 1st floor past the vintage watches, the Loro Piana section and the Charvet mini-store

- Other places to try - Jay Kos on Park near 57th, Oxxford store on 56th between Mad and Fifth, Paul Stuart (Stuart's choice made by alternatively Isaia and St. Andrew's), the main Brooks Brothers store on Madison near Grand Central, the Alden store (one of the few Alden retailers that will let you do your own custom specials - Madison also near Grand central), Turnbull and Asser on 57th for the shirts if you want that and for C&J, Ascot Chang on CP South, John Lobb on Madison just a few doors up from Barney's, pretty much next door is JM Weston and you could also check out the Robert Talbott store in that same block. I've left out all the high end boutique names - Brioni, Borrelli, Domenico Vacca, etc.

- Areas to try - upper Madison (70s and 80s) for the Ralph Lauren mansion, Loro Piana, Berluti, etc., etc. - much more boutiquey and very high priced, but good window shopping; West Broadway in west Soho - again boutiquey, but you have things like Morgenthal Fredrics for own-design eyewear, Vilebrequin, etc.; Noho just east of Broadway (Mott and Elizabeth) for places like Duncan Quinn and Seize Sur Vingt; the Lower East Side for more edgy stuff; Soho if you must for lots and lots of international brands (get coffee at Dean and Deluca and then head into the Prada store just to see it)

- Faconnable (if you like that - good value on sale IMO) at Rock Center

For discounts - Century 21 downtown (near the Fulton / Broadway subway), Daffy's (locations all over, primarily for Incotex), Filene's Basement, TJ Maxx are national discounters, but for some reason their NY stores tend to suck. If you have a day to spare, either rent a car or take a coach / bus out to Woodbury Commons (abt 1.25 hrs outside Manhattan) - tons and tons and tons of high end outlets with sometimes superb deals - too many high end names to list - do a google search. mob scene on weekends, but much more manageable on weekdays

That's the basic, big name version of NY shopping. Once you're tired on those places, post again and perhaps people will share their finds in some of the other less trafficked areas (Williamsburg, Dumbo, etc., etc.). Hope you plenty of time and money!

mr. magoo

Reaction score
For Italian, I would focus on the following stores:

*Eredi Pisano (New York outlet of Italian chain) on Madison between 53rd and 54th Streets,
*Borrelli on 60th Street between Park Ave and Madion Ave.,
*Domenico Vacca at any of its 3 locations at Broome Street and West Broadway, Fifth Avenue between 60th and 61st Streets or Madison in the 60s,
*David Censi (New York outlet of Roman Dept. store) on Madison Ave. between 67th and 68th Streets, and
* Venanzi (if it's still open) on 56th Street between Fifth and Sixth Aves.

You'll also find several stores for Brioni, Kiton, etc., but the prices will be rather high. With regards to the above post, there is no Neiman Marcus (NM) in New York and many of the recommendations are not very Italian (e.g., Paul Stuart).

TC11201

Reaction score
Sorry, my bad on Neiman - it's obviously Bergdorf and is owned by Neiman - brain fart (I tend to conflate them since so much product is shared). Thanks for catching that.

A few other clarifications - Paul Stuart isn't Italian, but SC is made either by Isaia or St. Andrew's (depending upon when it was made) both are which quite definitely are Italian and the SC pieces are cut in a more "Italian" style (to the extent that designation is anything other than a statement of geographical origin) than, for instance, many of the Samuelsohn pieces in the regular line. Paul Stuart also sometimes has an entry-level line that is, I believe, made by Isaia butis similar to the old Gianluca line (not full-canvas, etc.) and is not something anyone would mistake for fusty PS stuff. Also, given OPs listing of C&J, Loake, Magnanni, Breuer and Tricker's (none of which are Italian or even aspire, stylistically, to such), seems he likes also stuff other than Italian, so thought he might be interested in places which carry brands of that ilk. Finally, Venanzi is closed. Happened about a month ago - was there one day, tumbleweeds the next.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
when are you here? davide cenci's sale is going on now. they always have nice stuff....

thewallychamp

Reaction score
Do check out Gabays on 1st ave between 12th and 13th I believe.
Apparently they stock things from Bergdorf Goodman.. and I definitely saw some big markdowns on what they had.. think a lot of it was Censi too as well - although sizes are kind of tough to find here

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thewallychamp
Do check out Gabays on 1st ave between 12th and 13th I believe.
Apparently they stock things from Bergdorf Goodman.. and I definitely saw some big markdowns on what they had.. think a lot of it was Censi too as well - although sizes are kind of tough to find here

wally wtf! I don't think gabays has been mentioned here for a couple of years! this was my private stock, dammit!

what wally says is true. they get a shipment and then the stuff sits forever. i'm pretty sure these are remainders - helps if you're on the large size, although shirts seem to be better. if you hit it right, i.e. when the new shipment comes in, you'll find some great deals. have seen a lot of loro piana sweaters & shirts.

jon5986

Reaction score
If you are looking for shoes then swing by Leffot or duncan quinn. Both have a nice selection of shoes.

Toorman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
For Italian, I would focus on the following stores:

*Eredi Pisano (New York outlet of Italian chain) on Madison between 53rd and 54th Streets,
*Borrelli on 60th Street between Park Ave and Madion Ave.,
*Domenico Vacca at any of its 3 locations at Broome Street and West Broadway, Fifth Avenue between 60th and 61st Streets or Madison in the 60s,
*David Censi (New York outlet of Roman Dept. store) on Madison Ave. between 67th and 68th Streets, and
* Venanzi (if it's still open) on 56th Street between Fifth and Sixth Aves.

You'll also find several stores for Brioni, Kiton, etc., but the prices will be rather high. With regards to the above post, there is no Neiman Marcus (NM) in New York and many of the recommendations are not very Italian (e.g., Paul Stuart).

I'll second these suggestions but Venanzi is now gone.

kenny6468

Reaction score
I'm very impressed about your kind and detailed advice. It will be great helpful to me. I'll visit above-mentioned store nextweek. I've been to Century 21 and could get TRENDcorneliani glen plaid jacket at 320 bucks.Also, I bought two beautiful Incotex jeans at 40 dollars each. I'll report my shopping list whenever I buy more items. Thanks a million, brothers!

jcc123

Reaction score
Some of you giving the advice are way off the mark. I think his goal is to get Italian stuff at great prices. Some of the stores you named have prices that would pay for a trip to Italy and a suit in Italy for the price of the suit alone.

I think he's looking for value.

The only thing I can think of is to try Daffy's and Century 21 in NYC for bargains. It may be worth it for you to take a bus ride up to Woodbury Commons.

TC11201

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcc123
Some of you giving the advice are way off the mark. I think his goal is to get Italian stuff at great prices. Some of the stores you named have prices that would pay for a trip to Italy and a suit in Italy for the price of the suit alone.

I think he's looking for value.

The only thing I can think of is to try Daffy's and Century 21 in NYC for bargains. It may be worth it for you to take a bus ride up to Woodbury Commons.

Tricker's, Magnanni, Loake, C&J and Breuer from the OPs original list aren't Italian...only Boglioli and Incotex are...most of the stores listed will have Italian and others, so he can choose what he likes regardless of country of origin...plus, most of the big, full price stores are having lots of sales, so there are certainly bargains to be had if he looks around...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads