• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice for My First Work Wardrobe

SYQ

Reaction score
Hello SF,

I will be graduating this coming June and starting my first full-time job in the Greater Philadelphia area. I will be working in a role with a financial firm that is relatively conservative and will likely be wearing a suit 5 days a week. I am looking for some advice in putting together my first work wardrobe on a reasonable budget.

The basic items I'm planning on purchasing so far are:
2 Suits - <$500; Suit Supply or Spier and Mackay
6 Dress Shirts - <$50; CT
2 Dress Shoes - <$350; Kent Wang or AE
3 Ties - <$25; Tie Bar or Spier and Mackay
Pocket Squares and Cufflinks - Kent Wang?
Leather Bag - SBL or Linjer?

I already own one cheaper navy suit and an overcoat.

Questions:
1. Is sharkskin noticeably less formal than plain navy? Would sharkskin be acceptable in relatively conservative work environment? (http://www.spierandmackay.com/product_information/2844_medium_blue_sharkskin___slim_fit)
2. Is it a bad idea to start with 2 pairs of brown dress shoes?
3. What about 2 blue suits?
4. All blue shirts?
5. Can I fit in wearing French Cuff shirts?

Any advice on anything I can improve or I might have overlooked would be super helpful! Thanks :)

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Depends on how shiny it is. The pictures give no hints whatsoever. Between that and ordering a suit online (e.g., too tight would look too casual and/or bad), it seems too risky.
2. Yes. Why start without black? What if there's a formal event soon that requires it?
3. Not ideal, but not a crime. This assumes there are some style differences between the two.
4. Bad idea. Any business wardrobe should include white dress shirts. Lack of variety might be interpreted as wearing the same shirt regularly and in turn poor hygiene.
5. Probably sometimes but not 5 days a week.

Also, don't buy a bunch of dress shirts from one brand. Too many things could go wrong. And pocket squares likely would be detrimental to a junior employee's work wardrobe.

brokencycle

Reaction score
1. That is a bad choice if you are going with only two or three suits. If you had 3 or 4 already, I could see adding it.
2. Yes. Start with one black and one brown, but I would add a couple pairs in the near term. Don't forget shoe trees!
3. That is fine, but they should both be solid. You may be better off going one navy and one charcoal. Wear the brown shoes with navy and black with charcoal.
4. Do at least one white shirt.
5. Yes, but you seem to be on a tight budget. Focus on increasing your shoe and suit rotation before worrying about french cuffs and links.

I don't agree with the above about having all shirts from one brand. If you find something that fits well, and you like the quality and price, go for it.

I also don't agree about the pocket square. It is something I would have worried about a few years ago, but I enjoy wearing squares and feel better about my appearance when I do, so I just go with it.

Macallan

Reaction score
1. depends on cloth, seems fine
2. one black, one brown
3. one charcoal or med/dark grey, one navy
4. you would need at least one white shirt , probably maybe even more, consider lilac as well - 2 white, 2 blue, 2 lilac
5. if you want

TO NOTE:
1. You will need at least 5 ties
2. When buying suits, consider spare trousers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads