• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice for a luxury goods start-up

WoodyStylee

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So i've been tossing the idea around for about a year of starting a high-end bag/luggage company (not purses), and I've finally got to the point where I feel comfortable moving forward with the idea. I have a pretty clear vision of what my product will look like, but will definitely need to collab. with a designer to fine-tune my vision.

Just wondering if anyone has gone through a similar process of a fashion start-up. Do's and Dont's would be great. Also, any advice on locating investors, since capital will be necessary in having samples made, and other start-up costs.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan
[email protected]

Cavalier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WoodyStylee
Hey guys, So i've been tossing the idea around for about a year of starting a high-end bag/luggage company (not purses), and I've finally got to the point where I feel comfortable moving forward with the idea. I have a pretty clear vision of what my product will look like, but will definitely need to collab. with a designer to fine-tune my vision. Just wondering if anyone has gone through a similar process of a fashion start-up. Do's and Dont's would be great. Also, any advice on locating investors, since capital will be necessary in having samples made, and other start-up costs. Thanks in advance, Ryan [email protected]
Spend plenty of time thinking about a business plan before putting it to paper. How much start up capital is needed? The amount needed makes a big difference in how/whom you will be pitching the concept.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OP, aren't you a yatch broker?

I would think that if things were going well in the luxuray world right now, you wouldn't be looking to moonlight, right?

maybe wait a few years, or find a business idea that isn't in luxury? all my friends who are in luxury are suffuring, all my friends in medical devices are doing well.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
OP, aren't you a yatch broker? I would think that if things were going well in the luxuray world right now, you wouldn't be looking to moonlight, right? maybe wait a few years, or find a business idea that isn't in luxury? all my friends who are in luxury are suffuring, all my friends in medical devices are doing well.
It's a bad time for LVMH, but look at the purchasing power of this forum alone. Small start ups like MJK do very well because they focus on creating a quality product. Just because luxury is down whatever % since middle-class suburbanites aren't buying junk at Saks doesn't mean there is no opportunity.

WoodyStylee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
OP, aren't you a yatch broker?

I would think that if things were going well in the luxuray world right now, you wouldn't be looking to moonlight, right?

maybe wait a few years, or find a business idea that isn't in luxury? all my friends who are in luxury are suffuring, all my friends in medical devices are doing well.

Yes, I'm a broker. Our business is down, but staying afloat. I'm not exactly looking to 'moonlight', I love my job, and i want to continue what i do. However, this is something i have a passion for, and the flexibiliy of my job allows me to try an additional venture. The concept of the bags will attract a demographic of boaters, so this will actually be a benefit.

I figure that by the time my product is actually in its finished stage and ready to ship, the economy will be back on the upswing. I'm assuming it will take AT LEAST a year or two (right?).

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WoodyStylee
Yes, I'm a broker. Our business is down, but staying afloat. I'm not exactly looking to 'moonlight', I love my job, and i want to continue what i do. However, this is something i have a passion for, and the flexibiliy of my job allows me to try an additional venture. The concept of the bags will attract a demographic of boaters, so this will actually be a benefit.

I figure that by the time my product is actually in its finished stage and ready to ship, the economy will be back on the upswing. I'm assuming it will take AT LEAST a year or two (right?).

good luck

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Try PMing forum member Eric Glennie. He is working on his own fashion line. As I understand it, he has been largely foiled in the building of his empire by copycats, but it might be worth it to rap with another creative mind.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As part of your business plan make sure you have well thought out your potential distribution network and the costs associated with that. for example, if you plan on working with nationwide chains there are a number of cost considerations that people often don't have the slightest idea about (vendor chargebacks, returns procedures, merchandising/buying processes, advertising requirements, etc).

If I keep going I'll have to charge you
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads