• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Acceptable behaviour? Or "too far"?

Presto87

Reaction score
Curious to know your thoughts on this gentlemen: I'm 22 (graphic design graduate, '08), recently resigned from casual work (call centre) due to management issues (amongst other things). First time unemployed in 4.5 years ... anyway, coming to the point ... Monday morning ... doing the laundry after the weekend ... to find my favorite shirt with BLEACH stains on the collar (i.e. dye removed) ... Back story ... been on an emotional rollercoaster ride all of '09, and even at 22 - have come to realise how trivial something like this should seem ... but can't manage to shake the anger ... REALLY bugging me - I'm guessing partly due to the fact that I'm in no position to replace the shirt ... Reading this back, I don't know what my question really is ... but room for comments/discussion?!

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Presto87
Curious to know your thoughts on this gentlemen:

I'm 22 (graphic design graduate, '08), recently resigned from casual work (call centre) due to management issues (amongst other things). First time unemployed in 4.5 years ... anyway, coming to the point ...

Monday morning ... doing the laundry after the weekend ... to find my favorite shirt with BLEACH stains on the collar (i.e. dye removed) ...

Back story ... been on an emotional rollercoaster ride all of '09, and even at 22 - have come to realise how trivial something like this should seem ... but can't manage to shake the anger ... REALLY bugging me - I'm guessing partly due to the fact that I'm in no position to replace the shirt ...

Reading this back, I don't know what my question really is ... but room for comments/discussion?!

My advice? If you want to complain, buy a diary.

It sucks that your shirt was ruined, but there's a whole thread just for gripes. Starting your own thread just to ***** makes you look like a special flower.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
My advice? If you want to complain, buy a diary.It sucks that your shirt was ruined, but there's a whole thread just for gripes. Starting your own thread just to ***** makes you look like a special flower.
And when you do buy that diary make sure your first entry is about the internet prick that suggested you buy it.

x26

Reaction score
Curious to know your thoughts on this gentlemen:

I'm 22 (graphic design graduate, '08), recently resigned from casual work (call centre) due to management issues (amongst other things). First time unemployed in 4.5 years ... anyway, coming to the point ...

Monday morning ... doing the laundry after the weekend ... to find my favorite shirt with BLEACH stains on the collar (i.e. dye removed) ...

Back story ... been on an emotional rollercoaster ride all of '09, and even at 22 - have come to realise how trivial something like this should seem ... but can't manage to shake the anger ... REALLY bugging me - I'm guessing partly due to the fact that I'm in no position to replace the shirt ...

Reading this back, I don't know what my question really is ... but room for comments/discussion?!

Nothing more than Free-Floating Anxiety due to job loss and the Concommitent Anger that comes along. You'll be Fine!!
smile.gif

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Egdon Heath
And when you do buy that diary make sure your first entry is about the internet prick that suggested you buy it.

Please follow this advice. It could be my ticket to immortality. One day, decades from now, his children's children can read about the day gramps encountered a snarky internet poster named MrG.

FWIW I wasn't trying to be a prick. My point is simply that there is a thread for griping about things that are bugging us, and there wasn't any reason he couldn't use it.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a situation at work this week where another organization f'ed up, twisted the facts to make me culpable, and had been contacting the client privately just to throw me under the bus. I found out Sat morning and was literally shaking mad til about sunday afternoon. Some people are just such f'n scumbags.

dl

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
FWIW I wasn't trying to be a prick.
I believe you, now. I don't think the kid is bitching about his shirt. Or bitching at all. He just graduated from design school and he's working in a call center. Or was. He quit that. Maybe. Maybe he was asked to quit. Whatever. I was 22 once. Girl ran off. Car crapped out. Other **** too. I kicked my cat. I actually kicked my cat. I don't think the cat was the problem.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're suffering from an agitated depression. Talk to your physician or see a shrink.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** dude...quit college to run your family business, marry your college sweetheart, have your dad die 6 months later leaving you without a job or an education. After picking yourself up have your wife who never smoked or did drugs and basically did everything right...exercise, diet, etc get breast cancer, have her Dr tell you it's non-hormone receptive cancer, get her pregnant, have her cancer metastacize because the cockfuckers never even did the test, induce labor so you can let your 18 week old son die in your hands, watch the love of your life agonize through 7 years of chemo and radiation to die at the age of 34...and know that there are others that have it worse off than you.

Presto87

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
My advice? If you want to complain, buy a diary.

It sucks that your shirt was ruined, but there's a whole thread just for gripes. Starting your own thread just to ***** makes you look like a special flower.

Originally Posted by MrG
Please follow this advice. It could be my ticket to immortality. One day, decades from now, his children's children can read about the day gramps encountered a snarky internet poster named MrG.

FWIW I wasn't trying to be a prick. My point is simply that there is a thread for griping about things that are bugging us, and there wasn't any reason he couldn't use it.

To be honest with you, I wasn't aware of the "Things that are pissing you off" thread ... but even if I was - my post truly wasn't meant to come across as a gripe! I guess the point I'd like discussed is what I mentioned - the fact that these trivial "mistakes" (or whatever you'd like to call them) should NOT be a point for stress? right? agree/disagree? discuss! I mean, there is so much more to "life" etc. ... why do so many allow these things to bother them? AND, more importantly, how do we overcome it?!

Originally Posted by x26
Nothing more than Free-Floating Anxiety due to job loss and the Concommitent Anger that comes along. You'll be Fine!!
smile.gif

Cheers buddy! I guess I'm more angry - not at the situation - but at the fact that it's getting to me! Again, when I KNOW it's so trivial (i.e. really not important, replaceable etc.)

I believe you, now. I don't think the kid is bitching about his shirt. Or bitching at all. He just graduated from design school and he's working in a call center. Or was. He quit that. Maybe. Maybe he was asked to quit. Whatever. I was 22 once. Girl ran off. Car crapped out. Other **** too. I kicked my cat. I actually kicked my cat. I don't think the cat was the problem.

Spot on! (I think) ... to make a long story, short - worked at the call centre for 4.5 years ... got pulled aside in Jan/Feb of '09 for "poor sales / phone manner" etc. I cleaned up my act - then got pulled up again about 2 weeks ago ... took some hard thinking to realise it's because of things going on on the home front that have affected my performance on the job - and felt that it was better to leave on my own terms - as opposed to being fired after so long (would like to receive a good reference for future employment) ... won't go into details ... but guess it is a culmination of events that have led to my (over) reaction (re: the shirt).

Originally Posted by willpower
You're suffering from an agitated depression. Talk to your physician or see a shrink.

I've had a close friend also suggest that ... but in truth, I don't find it comforting that they (the shrink) are paid to listen to my problems (no offence to any psychologists) ...

Originally Posted by Faded501s
**** dude...quit college to run your family business, marry your college sweetheart, have your dad die 6 months later leaving you without a job or an education. After picking yourself up have your wife who never smoked or did drugs and basically did everything right...exercise, diet, etc get breast cancer, have her Dr tell you it's non-hormone receptive cancer, get her pregnant, have her cancer metastacize because the cockfuckers never even did the test, induce labor so you can let your 18 week old son die in your hands, watch the love of your life agonize through 7 years of chemo and radiation to die at the age of 34...and know that there are others that have it worse off than you.

Truly sorry about your situation. And again, apologize if my post came across as a vent ... it is clear that someone like yourself would understand the true value/meaning of "life" - and would be a better man for it ... and that is essentially the point I'd like further discussed by the older members.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
My general rule toward personal conduct is that if I have to ask whether something is acceptable or not, I already know the answer.

Presto87

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
My general rule toward personal conduct is that if I have to ask whether something is acceptable or not, I already know the answer.

Agreed. I think I acknowledged in my previous post that I know what I'm doing is "wrong" (unacceptable) ... question being - how does one overcome this inane behaviour?!

Side note, really loving the quotes in your sig.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
That's a rough road 501 relates about his wife and child, but I'm not sure this is meant to be a contest over who has it rougher.
The reason I'm in a clothing forum is a fall from a rooftop left me lopsided for life and have had to adust clothes accordingly. The fall I never much fretted about. But I went nuts for a while the next day when I was told my shirt ripped beyond repair. Odd what you take things out on.
How does one overcome this inane behavior?
Not sure you do. You're Presto87, I'm Presto45 and, in this regard, I've got nothing on you.​

Presto87

Reaction score
That's a rough road 501 relates about his wife and child, but I'm not sure this is meant to be a contest over who has it rougher.
The reason I'm in a clothing forum is a fall from a rooftop left me lopsided for life and have had to adust clothes accordingly. The fall I never much fretted about. But I went nuts for a while the next day when I was told my shirt ripped beyond repair. Odd what you take things out on.
Not sure you do. You're Presto87, I'm Presto45 and, in this regard, I've got nothing on you.​

- Definitely not meant to be a contest! Again, was never meant to come across as having a ***** ... I mean, seriously?! At 22, I've got nothing on most members ...

- I find sarcasm very difficult to identify online ... I'll just leave it at that ...

- Presto45? Assuming you are 64? Again, not reading the sarcasm in your post (if that's what it is)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads