• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

About to Order a Tie from Sam Hober. Suggestions?

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm about to take my first plunge into custom ties by ordering one from Sam Hober.

For the fabric, I'm going to use a Grenadine silk in Lavender. http://www.samhober.com/store/italia...lk-tie-32.html

I'm going with a 4" width and a 64-66" length. (I'm 6'4" with a broad chest and shoulders, so I think these dimensions should work well).

I usually tie a half-windsor, but I think I may switch to a four-in-hand with this tie.

For the construction, I haven't decided whether to have a plain 3-fold or whether to try the lined 6-fold.

Any thoughts/suggestions or anything I should be aware of before ordering?

Thanks

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you currently own any 4" ties?

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by magogian12345
Hello all,

I'm about to take my first plunge into custom ties by ordering one from Sam Hober.

For the fabric, I'm going to use a Grenadine silk in Lavender. http://www.samhober.com/store/italia...lk-tie-32.html

I'm going with a 4" width and a 64-66" length. (I'm 6'4" with a broad chest and shoulders, so I think these dimensions should work well).

I usually tie a half-windsor, but I think I may switch to a four-in-hand with this tie.

For the construction, I haven't decided whether to have a plain 3-fold or whether to try the lined 6-fold.

Any thoughts/suggestions or anything I should be aware of before ordering?

Thanks

J/Magog,

I have that exact tie, along with Sam Hober grenadines in bright royal blue and a medium purple. David Hober recommends not tying half-windsor or full-windsor knots with grenadine ties - a four-in-hand will produce a sufficiently "beefy" knot. These are very, very nice ties.

Cheers,
LD

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
His ties are fantastic, I travel a lot so I stick with the Atkinson's and some of the English silk ties and
I would get a 3.75" tie since they do stretch after time slightly. He does a wonderful job all the way around so you are going to get addicted.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great ties. Be prepared for a long wait, though. You will probably receive it around Christmas. Seriously.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knittieguy
Great ties. Be prepared for a long wait, though. You will probably receive it around Christmas. Seriously.

He has a much faster turn around now, but the wait is worth it. I know that my Hober ties always knot perfectly and dimple perfectly on the first try.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmm. I don't think any height could make a 4" wide tie look right. That's clown territory.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would consider getting a Slate blue color grenadine for your first Hober instead of lavender - much more useful color for most outfits

the Hober slate blue is the one on the bottom with Hober Navy blue above it, (although the new picture on Hober's website makes it look gray for some reason):

IMG_6139_2.jpg

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Hmm. I don't think any height could make a 4" wide tie look right. That's clown territory.

absolutely not true

I'm 6'1 and have several 4" ties that look great and I'm a stickler for proportions

that's definitely the upper limit of what's wearable though

most of mine at 3.75

dsgNYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by knittieguy

I bought a tie back in June and got a call from David a few hours after my order asking for the specifics of my order. It took about 3 weeks until the tie was completed and shipped and another 3 weeks in shipping. It was a real pleasure buying from David.

braised

Reaction score
+1 on the Slate Blue, fantastic color.

I recently ordered some ties from David, timing is much faster. Reasonable to expect delivey in 60-90 days.

B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal_1
absolutely not true

I'm 6'1 and have several 4" ties that look great and I'm a stickler for proportions

that's definitely the upper limit of what's wearable though

most of mine at 3.75

Maybe I just have a hard time imagining from down here
frown.gif

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go for ties no narrower than 3 7/8 "
I like wider ties. Even during the narrow
tie era of the 80s, I wore wide ties.
By the way I'm 5'9" wear 44 R with a
35" waist

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Regarding the width, here are my thoughts.

I do have 6 4" width ties (5 Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece and 1 Stefano Ricci Luxury Collection). I just think they look better than a narrower tie.

It isn't just that I'm tall, but I also have very broad shoulders and chest (artificial -- from heavy weight lifting)

Maybe I'm approaching this the wrong way, but take the height and upper body width of the average guy (around 6 or so and a 40" chest). And for those dimensions that average guy probably wears a 3.5" width. Well, with my height of 6'4" and a 48" chest, I don't think a 1/4" adds enough. Not that 3.75" ties look bad, they don't. But, scaling up proportionally to my size seems to demand a 4" width in a tie.

Just my current thinking . . .

Also, anyone have both a three fold and a lined six fold from Hober? Any thoughts on the differences?

Thanks

p.s. that slate blue is beautiful.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
I know that my Hober ties always knot perfectly on the first try.
How are his pocket squares?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads