• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

shackletonian

Reaction score
Got two new ties - both Thai shot silk. Really stunning, a dark purple/pink one and then a blue-pink one. They're iridescent in a way that doesn't come across in photos. Very well made. Astounding service, too. I'm a huge (and late) convert!

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got two new ties - both Thai shot silk. Really stunning, a dark purple/pink one and then a blue-pink one. They're iridescent in a way that doesn't come across in photos. Very well made. Astounding service, too. I'm a huge (and late) convert!
I'd love to see photos of them being worn, if you ever get to it! Always wondered about these sangdao ties.

Moose22

Reaction score
Grabbed some grenadine, and they arrived this afternoon. Dark Navy prometeo to do the James Bond look (though wider because I'm too fat to pull off a 60s skinny tie.)

Prometeo is interesting. I've only had fina and grossa ties before so I thought I'd mix it up. The other tie is dark red Fina.

Ordered them 2" shorter than a previous order since I wanted a smaller knot and to wear them with a suit that has higher rise trousers. I wanted a different look as the previous tie has a ridiculously large knot and had to be long enough to wear with sport coats and a much lower belt line, but David emailed immediately to double check. Just wanted to make sure since my previous order was for a longer tie, and we talked about the sizing differences a bit. They're always looking out for you.
grenadineties1.jpg

Lucky_Farmer

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am buying my first and second “proper” ties. I have a plain grey suit and a plain navy blue suit. Can someone recommend two or three sam hober ones pls?

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to go wrong with a navy grenadine, a burgundy grenadine, and a macclesfield print of some ilk.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am buying my first and second “proper” ties. I have a plain grey suit and a plain navy blue suit. Can someone recommend two or three sam hober ones pls?

Solid navy and solid burgundy, in grenadine or oxford (one of each, your choice as to which) would be my reco.

bc78

Reaction score
Solid navy and solid burgundy, in grenadine or oxford (one of each, your choice as to which) would be my reco.

Good advice. If you only have a few ties I'd recommend grenadine fina over grossa since they snag less frequently

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good advice. If you only have a few ties I'd recommend grenadine fina over grossa since they snag less frequently
Is this a thing? I had never heard that fina's are less prone to snags, but kind of makes sense

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's a thing but I almost always snag my grossas and my finas look new. Maybe I'm just not very careful with my ties
I've snagged many ties over the years, mainly on my own fingernails. ?
And yes, I trim them.
I've even snagged many a satin silk ties, which are not a loose weave.
I've been buying shantung ties from David this year, in part because they come pre-snagged LOL

Moose22

Reaction score
Hi guys,

See my post above.

Grenadine, dark navy and burgundy or dark red. They go with everything blue and grey, and work in any social environment casual to business professional. Grossa or fina, it doesn't matter, choose what you like for formality. I'll defer to others on the durability of fina being greater, I haven't had a grossa or prometeo tie that wasn't shantung before.

I say grenadine over solid, but that's your choice. I hate solid plain silk ties. Totally a personal preference, but they make me look like a politician in a plain navy suit. And they seem out of place when I'm just wearing a coat to the office during the day or something, while grenadine works for me whenever/wherever. But for the colors, I think a dark blue and a dark red are pretty solid starting points.

As for a third, where are you going to wear these? You can have a little fun here. Maccelsfield prints are an obvious choice, and SamHober has scores to choose from. But don't just go there, look at the ones that are just under print pattern silk ties as well. The mogador (which wears like a silk tie though it's a silk cotton blend) I really like and it's not as flat as madder but not super shiny. so it makes a good more casual look. And pin dot ties are really nice and versatile if you're looking for something a little blander than a pattern tie, but with some flair. Colorwise, if you're looking for universally wearable stay conservative, but feel free to explore a bit in the pattern accent colors.

Totally get samples. Don't be shy about ordering twice as many as you thought you were going to order, they're cheap and holding the sample next to your suit will really give you an idea what you're looking at, but more to the point you can see how shiny they are and how the fabric feels, things that don't come across over the computer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads