• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A revelation: I can't stand English suits

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What a detective you are l-superb?
Made the jacket and vest for him. He had the kilt made by Kinloch Anderson in Edinburgh. The vintage sporran is mink. He had a Sgian Dubh custom made.

My comment of not knowing how it was accessorized is about the western jacket

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you for that Texas! Never know when or what a client will ask to find. Looks like a good resource.
Pinto Ranch website says they have the real deal bolos. First thought I had was the tie Colonel Sanders wears.

Side note; my father was a tailor and made a white suit for the Colonel. One of the first Sanders restaurants was in my hometown Ft Wayne, IN. It was a huge place. Not anything like the stores you may be familiar with. The colonel would stroll thru the place and chat with diners. Have vague memories of it as I was pretty young.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Spier & Mackay otr colorful jackets fit better than most boring Italian (sloppy Formosa comes to mind) and British ones I've owned including mtm ones. So it's obvious Chinese tailoring is superior to the Europeans, only to be beaten by the Indian as only those 100Hands owners would understand. Of course it's beyond doubt that the Texan western style would prevail in the end.

Galix

Reaction score
German suits are way better than English or Italian ones.
Their engineering is top-notch.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
German suits are way better than English or Italian ones.
Their engineering is top-notch.
Wait until you need to perform maintenance. You're going to be paying way more because the ridiculous German over engineering. The jacket pocket for my phone makes Porsche's cup holders look pedestrian.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Between reading the contents of this thread and The Official-ish DC thread, I believe I can increase my street smarts and conversation-making ability tenfold each!

Subscribed.

P.s. I'm a proud wearer and enjoyer of both English and Italian suits :)

BXpress

Reaction score
I have fond memories of Vienna in that regard. City with plenty of good coffee bars. You can count the hours away in the right atmosphere. I found Prague a bit to crowded, although I was there at peak-season...

I visited Prague 3 times in the past 5 years. It was crowded but it didn't kill the atmosphere. Somehow i didn't mind at all.

Vienna is in my to do list. I wonder why i haven't visited it already. A Kaffeehaus, a piece of Sacher cake and the definitely the Philharmonics. But i think i won't go there before i have assembled a complete Black tie attire.

Amsterdam has turned into a far too crowded cheap theme-park

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Think I understand the need for Black tie attire for visiting Vienna. Had a client who spent 4-6 weeks in Vienna each year during the time he referred to as "High Season", where proper black tie is a requirement. It was an annual event to come up with a new piece to add to his wardrobe

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Certainly not. All Canali/Ermenegildo Zegna/Brioni "RTW" are handmade in Italy. Where did you get the notion that all "RTW" suits are Chinese?
Not so sure about the "handmade" part. I think they are mostly machine made with some hand-finishing depending on the company and the suit grade.

lowlander

Reaction score
Not so sure about the "handmade" part. I think they are mostly machine made with some hand-finishing depending on the company and the suit grade.

Very well.

However, whether a machine cuts the fabric (in Italy) or whether it's done by the hands of naked Sicilian nubiles (in Italy) is irrelevant to the claim that all RTW are Chinese.

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very well.

However, whether a machine cuts the fabric (in Italy) or whether it's done by the hands of naked Sicilian nubiles (in Italy) is irrelevant to the claim that all RTW are Chinese.
We’ve had this argument regularly here on SF. Chinese suits are actually quite good when from a competent maker (like everything else in the world).

Somehow I doubt my Canali and Zegna suits were put together by 70 year old Italians who apprenticed since they were 12. I’m sure there is excellent supervision and quality control, though, regardless of the nationality of the employee.

I love my Italian stuff but I am hoping a Chinese suit maker stands up like Ring Jacket did and establishes themselves. Quality is quality. I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened yet with some well-known Hong tailor.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads