• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A question regarding a house label

St. John

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a new dark/charcoal gray suit. I've picked out a Canali and a Zegna that I can get for a small discount. They both fit well and will need only minor alterations. I've also been looking at a suit that I think is a house label for a small store in Toronto. The label is "Piero Gabrieli" and the suit is made with Zignone Super 140s fabric. I'm still pretty new to finer wear and am uncertain as to the quality of something like this.

I suppose my question is:

1. Would this Gabrieli suit, purchased for about 500-600$ less than either the Canali or Zegna be a wise move? Would I be getting better value for dollar?

Thanks in advance for all responses

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by St. John
I'm looking to buy a new dark/charcoal gray suit. I've picked out a Canali and a Zegna that I can get for a small discount. They both fit well and will need only minor alterations. I've also been looking at a suit that I think is a house label for a small store in Toronto. The label is "Piero Gabrieli" and the suit is made with Zignone Super 140s fabric. I'm still pretty new to finer wear and am uncertain as to the quality of something like this.

I suppose my question is:

1. Would this Gabrieli suit, purchased for about 500-600$ less than either the Canali or Zegna be a wise move? Would I be getting better value for dollar?

Thanks in advance for all responses

Normally I would definitely think not - but their website claims design & manufacture in Italy.

http://www.pierogabrieli.com/

So it doesn't appear to be a house brand per se to me.

My hunch is these would be a good deal in the $500ish range but hopefully someone knowledgeable about this brand will turn up.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
House labels in the past used to be a great deal. They were often made by well-known brands to the same specifications as main lines, but for much cheaper without the well-known-brand-name. Sadly, most small clothing stores have shut down and this is rarely the case anymore.

Your best bet is a careful inspection of the house suit and value it based on its own merits, not comparing it to another brand. Is it fully canvassed? How is the stitching? Does the material feel right? Is it an item that is obviously a sense of pride for the manufacturer or is it something cheap and quick that they threw together?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
sounds like you're pretty new to all this. If you're not in a position to evaluate the quality yourself, and budget isn't an issue, then I say go with what fits you the best and what you think you'll get hte most use out of. If having the designer label on there is also going to make you feel better/happier about the purchase then that's a consideration too. People around here pick up all sorts of random stuff but they know what they're looking at. Inherently the brand name implies a quality that the buyer may not be able to recognize themselves and both those houses are good.

PS - what store?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the shop is selling it for X it's worth X. Or less. Nobody is going to give you a great deal at their expense.

The real question is it good enough for the price. But considering how expensive both Canali and Zegna are at normal retail getting a no name for slightly less doesn't sound like a great deal.

St. John

Reaction score
Thanks for all of your responses.

The store is called 7 Camicie and is in the Yonge and Lawrence area.

The Gabrieli suit is half canvassed. It has a very slim line to it that I like, but has some details that I'm not sure about, and think perhaps these details make the suit look a little cheap (the pockets are cut on a very severe angle, for instance).

It will me about C$ 850 with alterations included. The Canali that I like quite a bit will run me about C$ 1450 with alterations included.

I can afford either one with my current budget, and have been leaning towards the Canali. I think that taking all the comments together, I will go that route.

Thanks again for the input.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads