• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A new Dolce & Gabanna suit:

modsquad

Reaction score
I have the chance to buy a new Spring 2005 Dolce & Gabanna suit with a 50% discount which will lower the price from a scarifying $1900 to a merely outrageous $950. Should I do it? The suit has a nice pattern: it's a very dark navy (dark enough to look almost grey/black) with muted goldenrod stripes spaced about an inch apart. The thin cut is very flattering on me (I'm 6', 160 lbs.) and the fit is great and it's comfortable. The suit is obviously fused, however, and I can't shake the impression that I'm getting ready to spend $900 on what is basically a piece of junk. I expect to pay a premium for the name, for the season and for the trendy cut, but is any of the price at all attributable to quality of manufacture or is every exhorbitant dollar explained by the label?

More generally, what is the quality of suits made by high-fashion, up-to-the-second designers like Helmut Lang, Jil Sander, Dior Homme, Raf Simons, etc? Are any of these brands particularly known for good suit construction or is the high price merely a reflection of the designer's name and the style of the suit with no relationship to manufacture?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
Depends upon the designer, obviously. Going merely by what I've read here, Helmut Lang and Jil Sander are canvassed well constructed suits. So quality and style. Dolce and Gabanna (or is it D&G) in my experience is pretty crappily made. Prices are exhorbitant, and it is fairly easily found at discount (though not current season, of course). If you have the money and like the suit and think you'll get your wear out of it, I guess buy it. It can't be that poorly made. It's not like men's warehouse. Also, where are you buying it? If you buy something such as that through the designer's boutique, if something happens to it (do to shoddy quality) they will generally fix it for free. Not ideal, but better than a total loss.

Dan

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This would not be a 'sensible' purchase. No, not starting a flame war...

I mean to say it is a 'want' item - You like it, you expect to wear it for a few seasons and then retire it...

So the question, if I were you, is whether $950 is doable for a 'want' item that is not a need item.

If so, knock yourself out, enjoy it and have fun... you know you are paying for the label but you want a cool and trendy suit.

...It's okay to willingly and knowingly overpay for a designer item of average quality because you like the thing and it looks great on you. Style Forum law only dictates that you should KNOW that you are doing so... which you clearly do.

For the same money and a better construction job, Corneliani has been doing some trendier suits. Their youthful 'Trend' label is aptly named and though lesser in quality of construction than their business line the quality is a bit better than D&G.

Brian SD

Reaction score
If you have $900 and dont mind dropping it, and you LIKE the pattern (sounds a little weird to me, but probably great in person), buy it.

Dolce&Gabbana suits are very well made in my experience. It's not as good as Helmut Lang or Jil Sander (which both feature wonderful pick stitching and full canvas), but it's certainly better than Kenneth Cole, Hugo Boss, et al. I would not consider the quality or construction as a determining factor if you're looking for a designer suit because they're basically all going to be good enough to last you at least a few years, which is probably all you're going to be wearing it for. Of course I would argue that all suits, designer or Savile Row should only be worn for 5 years max anyway, so don't think I'm knocking the durability just because it's made by D&G.

I am a huge fan of the D&G cut, despite the fact that it's slim and modern, it's also very classic in its balance.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Chuck, the only thing I see wrong with your assessment is just the assumption that Trend Corneliani looks as good/better in person than D&G. It is certainly more youthful than their main line, but it's still in a different league from D&G in terms of purpose and fit. I'm not arguing any factual claims but I do think that you're paying for one-of-a-kind fit when you buy a Dolce suit and not just the name.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one dolce & gabbana suit. Though it's fused (albeit very, very soft fusing), it's the sharpest looking suit I own. I always receive compliments for it. The pants are great : flat front, slim and tappered but not too much. This is what you are paying for : outstanding cut, which is "business wearable" (I work in an investment bank, it can be pretty uptight). The other suits I own are Jil Sander tailor made, and they are not as body flattering as the dolce one.
The first ebay auction is a D&G suit, quite another league than a dolce & gabbana suit : I wouldn't buy it.
The fabrics used for dolce & gabbana, at least the one I own, is top notch and has little pick snitching all along the coat.

.luc

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between D&G and Dolce & Gabbana? I thought they were one and the same (seriously considering dolce & gabbana for my next suit, as I understand the cut is flattering on athletic/slim figures).

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
What's the difference between D&G and Dolce & Gabbana?  I thought they were one and the same (seriously considering dolce & gabbana for my next suit, as I understand the cut is flattering on athletic/slim figures).
D&G is Dolce and Gabanna's lower line. In the same way that Armani has Collezioni, Black Label, etc., Dolce and Gabanna had D&G. It's basically a diffusion line. Lesser quality, some slightly more outlandish designs, slightly lower price tag.

Dan

Brian SD

Reaction score
(thinman @ Feb. 11 2005,14:58) What's the difference between D&G and Dolce & Gabbana? I thought they were one and the same (seriously considering dolce & gabbana for my next suit, as I understand the cut is flattering on athletic/slim figures).
D&G is Dolce and Gabanna's lower line. In the same way that Armani has Collezioni, Black Label, etc., Dolce and Gabanna had D&G. It's basically a diffusion line. Lesser quality, some slightly more outlandish designs, slightly lower price tag. Dan
Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't quite sure myself.

bryce330

Reaction score
You can probably get a better deal than $900 on eBay or Yoox or at an NM Last Call sale. However, if it fits you well and you like the style, I say go for it. Sometimes people on this board are a little too preoccupied with fused v. canvas; to me, the most important aspect of a suit is how it fits. I would much rather wear a fused Dolce suit than a canvassed Oxxford merely because the Dolce will be much more flattering to my body.

I own two Dolce suits, wear them frequently, and get tons of compliments even though I realize they aren't constructed as well as my Kiton or Isaia suits, and I certainly don't expect to still be wearing them in ten years. The fusing is excellent, as fusing goes: I have had them for two years or so and have not noticed any bubbling or separation despite frequent wearings. This is in contrast to two Hugo Boss suits I had which fell apart within a year or so.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you could probably compare the quality of Dolce and Gabanna suits to those of Armani Collezioni... not the greatest, but not terrible, if you really like the suit and think you'd wear it enough to justify the $900, then go for it...

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in december, the nm last call store in troy (detroit) had a good two dozen dolce e gabbana suits marked down in the $350.00 range

the dolce e gabbana corporate outlet stores (although the one in mendrisio and the one outside of florence) had suits marked down to E250.00-E400.00 range last month

nothing much distinguished the suits i say from the current runway items, they're all pretty much the same

i think you can do better than that price

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(thinman @ Feb. 11 2005,14:58)
What's the difference between D&G and Dolce & Gabbana? I thought they were one and the same (seriously considering dolce & gabbana for my next suit, as I understand the cut is flattering on athletic/slim figures).

D&G is Dolce and Gabanna's lower line. In the same way that Armani has Collezioni, Black Label, etc., Dolce and Gabanna had D&G. It's basically a diffusion line. Lesser quality, some slightly more outlandish designs, slightly lower price tag.

Dan

Many thanks. Knowledge is money when shopping.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads