• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

40% off at BR; should i use it on their shirts?

a-rock

Reaction score
Monogram line is very unimpressive, especially for the price. The big selling point of the line is higher end fabrics and slimmer cuts - even slimmer than their Slim Fit shirts and Tailored Fit outerwear. The sweaters have a higher % of cashmere. Shirts are in Thomas Mason fabric and still have plastic buttons, but slightly nicer ones than the regular. The line is only a year or two old so previously finding stuff on sale was rare but in the last two seasons, I've found plenty of Mongram items on huge markdown. The only hard part is finding pieces that aren't completely douchey. Think of BR trying to go Zara but in slightly better fabrics. Perfect if you live your life in nightclubs and love dark colors with lots of sheen. These are the Monogram shirts currently avail online. I know I've seen more basics in the store but come on... only the solid white is passable for daily wear. All the other ones are overly amjack and regularly priced at $127!
13857452.jpg
The BR line I actually like the best is the Heritage Collection, which harkens back to the label's safari and adventure oriented days. More muted colors and richer textures like moleskin and tweeds, similar to what JCrew has done in recent years. Unfortunately, most recently they have been using Heritage to promote an eco-friendly of fabrics like organic cotton and hemp. Bleh...

Omega Man

Reaction score
Mind you, the OP is in Canada. There are only 2 BB stores in Canada (and more to come) and Toronto has one of them. It remains to be seen whether their prices / sales will match their US counterparts.

RyanAnderson

Reaction score
Above posters are right, you should probably avoid the shirts there.

I would take issue with the characterization of the monogram line. The shirts are fairly ridiculous, but there are occasional good items and the fit is very good IMO. I bought the grey suit they offered last year and was very impressed. With approx 40% off I paid about 360 for the suit. Best OTR fit I could find in that price range and the quality or the fabrics/construction is far better than the H&M/Zara suits often recommended here.

I have gotten more compliments on that suit than anything.

nohomo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DeLaGhetto
What about the shoes and coats?

Absolutely no on the shoes unless it's for something small like sandals or boat shoes.

Coats are inconsistent. They use a fairly large amount of nylon w/ their wool, but it does soften it up vs. using just 100% cheap wool like H&M or JCrew. Their peacoat looked ok, fairly plain but w/ a ticket pocket. I didn't see anything else worthwhile though based on the design.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a-rock
Monogram line is very unimpressive, especially for the price. The big selling point of the line is higher end fabrics and slimmer cuts - even slimmer than their Slim Fit shirts and Tailored Fit outerwear. The sweaters have a higher % of cashmere. Shirts are in Thomas Mason fabric and still have plastic buttons, but slightly nicer ones than the regular. The line is only a year or two old so previously finding stuff on sale was rare but in the last two seasons, I've found plenty of Mongram items on huge markdown. The only hard part is finding pieces that aren't completely douchey. Think of BR trying to go Zara but in slightly better fabrics. Perfect if you live your life in nightclubs and love dark colors with lots of sheen.

These are the Monogram shirts currently avail online. I know I've seen more basics in the store but come on... only the solid white is passable for daily wear. All the other ones are overly amjack and regularly priced at $127!

13857452.jpg

The BR line I actually like the best is the Heritage Collection, which harkens back to the label's safari and adventure oriented days. More muted colors and richer textures like moleskin and tweeds, similar to what JCrew has done in recent years. Unfortunately, most recently they have been using Heritage to promote an eco-friendly of fabrics like organic cotton and hemp. Bleh...

+1 My sentiments exactly. However, consider this: The Thomas Mason shirts for the Monogram collection do go on sale frequently. I've been able to get a few at <$50 price range and couldn't be happier (solid colors and gingham only) They are indeed slim-fitting, and a cut above than the mainline BR crap. But, as you mentioned, the Heritage line is very impressive. The jacket's especially are usually high-quality and just look/feel great.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EdenResident
BR shirts are ****. So are there jackets and coats. Their knitwear and socks are decent.

fair enough

phillyesq

Reaction score
When I was young and naive (aka the pre-SF days) I purchased a few BR shirts. I never considered them something I would wear to work or with a suit -- they were more &quot;bar shirts&quot; than anything. I wasn't happy with them even in that very limited role. The fabrics are crappy and the shirts are overpriced and poorly constructed. I'd avoid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads