• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1911 Appreciation Thread.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The song remains the same:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Some very impressive and beautiful pieces from Wayne Novak
coltcombatl07ud7.jpg
novakni2.jpg
novak2ba2.jpg
novak3na5.jpg
novak4qm2.jpg
And some of the finest looking (and performing) converted guns ever made IMO.
develly1.jpg
Plumbing tools INDEED!

Enjoy. Of course, I'm not technically allowed within 300 feet of a known firearm - but I still think they can be pretty.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm leaning toward a target-oriented 1911 for my 'I can't believe I just spent that on a gun' purchase. Plain Bomar-style sights, etc.. Les Baer makes a nice one for about $1600 that I can't remember the name of.

A nice 'tactical' 1911 is beautiful, but I'm so comfortable with my plastic 9mm pistols (M&P, Glock) or a CZ 75B (which, aside from being a brick, is damn near perfect IMO) I can't say that I'd prefer a 1911.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I kind of hate Novak sights. Don't understand the prevalence of three-dots - almost everyone I've shot with winds up preferring the Heinie Straight-8 pattern or good ol' black-on-black (or black rear, dot front).

Obviously I have no proof of this, but I think for most people the three dots makes it more difficult to focus the eyes on the front sight.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
<--- used to like Novak sights. Not as much as I liked the SureSight. But a close second.

Anything is better than the 1911 stock blade though, IMO.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I should add that, while I'm not a big fan of the 1911 for non-military use, I think a single action auto is great for military use. Hammer down and chamber empty really is most sensible for military sidearms, IMO.

I can take some credit for the East Timorese army adopting the 1911 as standard issue handgun in 2002.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I was mostly poking the nest with a stick. But I think most owners do choose it for a combination of looks and a bizair desire to have way too much gun than they need. But, of course, not all

Originally Posted by JLibourel
I would concur if you were saying that about a Colt Single Action Army, but what is "impractical" about a 1911 as a defensive sidearm? Many SWAT cops and some spec ops units (I believe) still rely on it. I would admit that the full-size, all-steel Government Model is a very ponderous gun for routine daily concealed carry, particularly if one is in no immediate apprehension of deadly peril. The 1911 used to be nicknamed "Old Ugly." It is only in this era of Glocks and Glock wannabe pistols that the 1911 has come to be regarded as "pretty."

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
I kind of hate Novak sights. Don't understand the prevalence of three-dots - almost everyone I've shot with winds up preferring the Heinie Straight-8 pattern or good ol' black-on-black (or black rear, dot front).

Obviously I have no proof of this, but I think for most people the three dots makes it more difficult to focus the eyes on the front sight.

My big objection to Novak sights and knockoffs thereof is that they make certain malfunction clearance drills impossible to perform.

I never had any problem with the three-dots, but I did specify the Heinie Straight-Eights on my new pistol from Nighthawk. The old von Stavenhagen sights used on the Walther PP series for many years and on some other pistols (my early SIG-Sauer P-226 has them) use a similar principle, and I think it's a good one--as good or better than the three-dots.

Good ol' black-on-black is great when you are shooting at a Milpark target or a bull's-eye at 6 o'clock and you are young. When you get to my age, it's not so good.

New Technique instructors tend to overrate focusing on the front sight, IMO. In a real-life combat encounter, it would take superhuman cool not to focus on your adversary. To my mind, as long as the gun is in some sort of visual alignment on the target, proper trigger control is far more important than focusing on the front sight. I can do pretty good shooting at realistic combat distances without my glasses, when the sights are just a blur.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
The Colt 1911, designed by Browning. I thought that was very clear, but I'm glad I provided you the opportunity to demonstrate your knowledge of firearm history.

As I mentioned, the Colt 1911 was not altogether Mormon John's design, although many sloppy gun writers will give him all the credit. His 1905 .45 (which was all his) was really rather primitive and might have been beaten by the Luger had Georg Luger opted to stay in the U.S. service competition.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
My big objection to Novak sights and knockoffs thereof is that they make certain malfunction clearance drills impossible to perform.

I never had any problem with the three-dots, but I did specify the Heinie Straight-Eights on my new pistol from Nighthawk. The old von Stavenhagen sights used on the Walther PP series for many years and on some other pistols (my early SIG-Sauer P-226 has them) use a similar principle, and I think it's a good one--as good or better than the three-dots.

Good ol' black-on-black is great when you are shooting at a Milpark target or a bull's-eye at 6 o'clock and you are young. When you get to my age, it's not so good.

New Technique instructors tend to overrate focusing on the front sight, IMO. In a real-life combat encounter, it would take superhuman cool not to focus on your adversary. To my mind, as long as the gun is in some sort of visual alignment on the target, proper trigger control is far more important than focusing on the front sight. I can do pretty good shooting at realistic combat distances without my glasses, when the sights are just a blur.

Have you tried the SureSight?

Seems ideal for an older, wiser, and possibly blinder gentleman such as yourself.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dad is eager to try the SureSight. Looked at it on a Steyr at a gun show some time back and it seemed to work for his aging eyes. Maybe I'll surprise him and replace the sights on one of his XDs when I get a chance.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
No it isn't. Don't listen to this guy. He's going to get you killed. Choose the 1911, choose life if your home is ever invaded. A 9mm is only going to wound somebody. It would very well mortally wound them, but they're only wounded and they can keep coming for you.

The .45 is better for home defense, since you don't have to carry the extra weight. The 9mm can make for a better carry gun.

Not trying to resurrect an old thread, but if you don't believe a 9mm +P or +P+ is a serviceable round, then I am more inclined to side with Millosz on this one.

Modern caliber rounds have definitely changed the platform for firearm self defense.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
Not trying to resurrect an old thread, but if you don't believe a 9mm +P or +P+ is a serviceable round, then I am more inclined to side with Millosz on this one.

Modern caliber rounds have definitely changed the platform for firearm self defense.

Thanks for resurrecting an old thread. Hey, what kind of hair grease do you use?

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a used Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special yesterday at the Dallas Arms gun show. Dealers were already getting desperate in the afternoon, the deal was too good to pass up.

It's a few years old I would guess (serial in the TR0140x range), but doesn't appear to have even been broken in. Going to make use this week of the stash of .45 I forgot I had.

It isn't what I would have had built by Brown/Wilson/Nighthawk (Novak-style sights, blued finish, front serrations), but it's such a nice pistol, and I'll take the Novaks+3k rounds of ammo vs. something new with my preferred sights (which are an easy change anyway, I'll probably have John Harrison install a 10-8 rear/tritium front and his solid long trigger, maybe a couple of other improvements).

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Thanks for resurrecting an old thread. Hey, what kind of hair grease do you use?
lol....I'm in the market for a 1911, so I thought I would stir the pot and get this thread going again.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
Picked up a used Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special yesterday at the Dallas Arms gun show. Dealers were already getting desperate in the afternoon, the deal was too good to pass up.

It's a few years old I would guess (serial in the TR0140x range), but doesn't appear to have even been broken in. Going to make use this week of the stash of .45 I forgot I had.

It isn't what I would have had built by Brown/Wilson/Nighthawk (Novak-style sights, blued finish, front serrations), but it's such a nice pistol, and I'll take the Novaks+3k rounds of ammo vs. something new with my preferred sights (which are an easy change anyway, I'll probably have John Harrison install a 10-8 rear/tritium front and his solid long trigger, maybe a couple of other improvements).

Good deal, a Les Baer is a little more than I can comfortably afford, but they seem to be amazing pieces.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads