• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Swaine Adeney Brigg the only makers of Peal & Co. Brooks Brothers briefcases/bags?

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought the below bag from Ed Morel a month or so ago. A few people here suggested it was made by Swaine Adeney Brigg (or Papworth). The bag has no indicators of this, though. It was made in 1995 and sold for (I think) $400 or so in Atlanta. I don't know if this was a discounted price, although I imagine it was.

I shot an email to BB with pictures and the receipt asking if they could verify the maker; haven't heard back yet.

Anyone know if Swaine is the exclusive maker of Peal bags, or otherwise know what sort of distinguishing marks/features I can look for to determine maker (note that I haven't found any tags or imprints that suggest SAB as the maker)?

Thanks.

2306931343_c35f6e9c25_b_d.jpg

2306935203_4d946e3f29_b_d.jpg

2306928203_67902cd12e_b_d.jpg

2307730388_8f4ac76282_b_d.jpg

2307726950_040ba3e4a7_b_d.jpg

fkl118

Reaction score
So you're the one selling this on ebay?

Try emailing SAB about this; they're usually quick to answer questions.

Very nice bag, BTW.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fkl118
So you're the one selling this on ebay?

Try emailing SAB about this; they're usually quick to answer questions.

Very nice bag, BTW.

Yup. It was a gift for my father, but he finds it too big/bulky. I put it up there w/o questioning the fact that it was made by SAB. I've received a few inquiries from bidders, though, as to proof of authenticity. If it turns out that I can't prove it's made by SAB, I'll pull the listing.

PittDoc

Reaction score
BB has more than one Peal leather piece that appears to be made by Mulholland Bros, but for a lot more $$. I've got a Mulholland duffle; nice bag but not in the same class as SAB. Not even close. I see your case is made in England (Mulholland is US), but I can't imagine they source Peal products from ultra-high-end like SAB and middle of the road Mulholland.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That particular bag says it was made in England, so I doubt Mulholland Bros had anything to do with it.

PittDoc

Reaction score
Alright - after a little research on the SAB site, the OP may indeed have a SAB. Compare these two "made in England" cases...

BB Peal flap-over case

SAB Westminster

And about the same price. I might have to take advantage of this correlation at the next F&F sale. SAB at 50% off would be a steal.

(PS, Lee - you'll see in my previous post that I do note the OP's case is made in England and Mulholland is US)

Ed355

Reaction score
I have a 1995 Papworth case that is quite similar to this, except that it has a curved top. The interior layout looks identical and the metal bits that attach the handle look similar. The key also looks about the same. However, I can't be sure that yours is a Papworth. In any case, SAB did not take over Papworth til the late 90s, so if your case was made by Papworth in 1995, it would be wrong to call it a SAB.

scord1981

Reaction score
I just bought a black bag exactly like the one, in this thread, on e-Bay and I want to verify that it is authentic. How do I do that? Was the above bag found to be authentic or is it a fake? Any advice would help.
Thanks-

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just bought a black bag exactly like the one, in this thread, on e-Bay and I want to verify that it is authentic.  How do I do that?  Was the above bag found to be authentic or is it a fake?  Any advice would help.
Thanks-

Fake is hardly the right word. It's either made by SAB for Brooks Brothers or it's made by someone else for Brooks Brothers.

I have the SAB for BB case in this style. It looks nothing like the pictures shown here. I'd be surprised if SAB was the maker of the pictured case.

UNOAIMX

Reaction score
Resurrecting an old thread, just finished bidding on Ebay and got the exact same vintage bag, except mine has gold monograms from previous owner BKL. think its a vintage Papsworth bag? similar to this one in the link - under SAB's current Papsworth collection... - though pretty sure NOT made by SAB at the time, as many in the thread have already said. But dang..didn't know bags were this expensive these days at MSRP.
https://www.swaineadeneybrigg.com/collections/papworth/products/document-case-86

poetman

Reaction score
I am resurrecting this old thread to see what users of this Brooks/ SAB bag use to condition it--the pricey SAB feed or a more affordable alternative?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads