• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Expensive (Francis) Bacon at $50,000,000

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since his Study of Innocent X stared out at us from the SF pages. Recently, Francis Bacon's Triptych 1974-77 of his (then) recently deceased lover, George Dyer, fetched a little better than $50,000,000 including all related fees.

Watch the auctioneer's hammer go down in the less than exciting bidding. http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/new...t=true&bbcws=2

The photo of Bacon is circa 1961. The photo of Triptych 1974-77 is a recent wire photo.

FrancisBaconandTriptych.jpg

__

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Bacon is one of my fave artists. his work is amazing seen IRL, with all the gritty texture he mixes into his paints

There is gonna be a big Bacon show in London starting in Sept iirc that we hope to catch around Xmas

$50mil wow. That guys is bringing home a lotta Bacon to bring home that Bacon

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This post caused me to look up the most expensive paintings, which I haven't done since the Klimt took it awhile ago. David Geffen has since been responsible for the list now being crowned by Pollock, then de Kooning.

For some reason, still, the only piece that seems at all worth, in the incredible way a painting can be worth, that money is Rubens and his Massacre. Maybe Klimt. I was about to say something about contemporary art appearing on there, but then realized Johns is still alive and up there, also courtesy of David Geffen.

What are they paying for?

jkennett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
That's an incredible amount of money.

I need to get to wooork.

Only after the artist has kicked the bucket does their art really skyrocket in value... You know that though.. Just wanted to point out the fact of you becoming rich through painting is gonna be a pain.
tounge.gif
good luck though!

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkennett
Only after the artist has kicked the bucket does their art really skyrocket in value... You know that though.. Just wanted to point out the fact of you becoming rich through painting is gonna be a pain.
tounge.gif
good luck though!

That used to be the case, but it isn't anymore. Anyway, I'm not really concerned about that right now. I do commissions here and there (and they pay pretty well), but right now I'm just focusing on the series I'm working on. And transfer apps.
confused.gif

jkennett

Reaction score
That used to be the case, but it isn't anymore. Anyway, I'm not really concerned about that right now. I do commissions here and there (and they pay pretty well), but right now I'm just focusing on the series I'm working on. And transfer apps.
confused.gif

yeah... true. forgot about damien hirst and his ilk. was just a bad joke in any case; i'm actually really into modern art. good luck with the transfer. are you currently at corcoran college in d.c.?

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkennett
yeah... true. forgot about damien hirst and his ilk. was just a bad joke in any case; i'm actually really into modern art. good luck with the transfer. are you currently at corcoran college in d.c.?
Actually, I was at GWU. Psych and Prelaw. I know. Not to sound long-winded, but I think the whole time while I was there I was in this transitory phase; I just needed a kick ********** to realize what I was really meant to do. That kick ********** was having dinner with Evelyn Rosenberg (inventor of detonography). I had seen a special about her on Disovery Channel years ago, and last year, by some random stroke of luck, she showed up at a friends passover dinner. And everything just fell into place.
smile.gif
PS. I'll keep pursuing it until I kick the bucket.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Actually, I was at GWU. Psych and Prelaw. I know. Not to sound long-winded, but I think the whole time while I was there I was in this transitory phase; I just needed a kick ********** to realize what I was really meant to do. That kick ********** was having dinner with Evelyn Rosenberg (inventor of detonography). I had seen a special about her on Disovery Channel years ago, and last year, by some random stroke of luck, she showed up at a friends passover dinner. And everything just fell into place.
smile.gif
PS. I'll keep pursuing it until I kick the bucket.

Dentonography is amazing.

jkennett

Reaction score
I hadn't heard of detonography, but it does look to be a very interesting method. Quite cool that Watkins Mill HS in Gaithersburg has those pillars of hers.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Actually, I was at GWU. Psych and Prelaw. I know. Not to sound long-winded, but I think the whole time while I was there I was in this transitory phase; I just needed a kick ********** to realize what I was really meant to do.

So you were in the most expensive college in America just as a "transitory phase", I'm sure your parents were happy to hear that
smile.gif

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
So you were in the most expensive college in America just as a "transitory phase", I'm sure your parents were happy to hear that
smile.gif

hahaha.
frown.gif
At least I'm not there anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads