• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RLPL and Made in China

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is the meaning of adding Made in China items to a collection which is supposed to be a very expensive prestige line when they already have lower level lines?

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
What RLPL products are made in China?

Some knits and probably some other stuff too.

cgo

Reaction score
I agree.....just for some reason I still couldn't associate Made in China with high quality and exclusivity....although these days it might not necessarily be true.....but still

Sebastian

Reaction score
I think this is mainly the hand knitted stuff.

And to be fair, it is impossible to produce hand knitted sweaters anywhere else except the 3rd world in larger quantities. I think we can trust Ralph to keep the quality on top also when producing some stuff in China... At least the SF members that actually own that stuff say that the sweaters are top notch.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian
I think this is mainly the hand knitted stuff.

And to be fair, it is impossible to produce hand knitted sweaters anywhere else except the 3rd world in larger quantities. I think we can trust Ralph to keep the quality on top also when producing some stuff in China... At least the SF members that actually own that stuff say that the sweaters are top notch.

Then you have to question the prices... How much do they pay the worker doing the knitting per hour? $1?

And then they put a $600 price tag on that sweater.

centrix

Reaction score
all about the brand. you want it you pay for it

theoldadage

Reaction score
Originally Posted by centrix
all about the brand. you want it you pay for it
It's not that simple. RLPL is a top level brand that targets a discerning clientèle. By having clothes made in China, PocketCircle is asking whether it threatens to undermine the idea of its 'brand' identity that you appear to covet.

theoldadage

Reaction score
I also think that moving production to China is a bad move for them.

I can't speak for other people but part of the conscience factor of buying high end clothing for me is that I keep my money away from Chinese and other far eastern industry.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It pushes in both directions.

On one hand, the nation has a rep for low quality and cheap labor.

On the other hand, their rep for quality clothing manufacture is rising -- recall the Crittenden line by the ex-Oxxford guy, or Kilgour's "Shanghai bespoke" arm.

The Chinese will make as well as you want them to and train them to.

Of course, both of the above lines are priced lower than their counterparts.

So RLPL, if pricing is same as their previous 'made in italy' merch, is daring you to give them more profit.

B2C2V

Reaction score
Can one tell the difference in quality for the same brand between that with a label of Made in Italy and that in China, without looking at the label?

gbrown_nyc

Reaction score
If you get a chance see Gomorrah or read the book it is based on. A section deals with the sub-contractor workshops that produce high-end clothing for top brands like RLPL. The hands doing the sewing in the basement workshops in Italy are as likely to be Chinese or Asian as they are to be master Italian seamstresses. Potentially little tangible difference beyond the mystique of the brand.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PocketCircle
Then you have to question the prices... How much do they pay the worker doing the knitting per hour? $1?

And then they put a $600 price tag on that sweater.

That really is the question, isn't it?
If they're paying less for labour, and yet the pricing remains the same or similar, quite clearly the company in question is seeking to extract greater profit from the product. It's up to the consumer as to whether they play the game or not.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gbrown_nyc
If you get a chance see Gomorrah or read the book it is based on. A section deals with the sub-contractor workshops that produce high-end clothing for top brands like RLPL. The hands doing the sewing in the basement workshops in Italy are as likely to be Chinese or Asian as they are to be master Italian seamstresses. Potentially little tangible difference beyond the mystique of the brand.

They may be Chinese hands but at least they are paid according to the European standards and it's different from the slavery-level conditions in some Chinese sweatshops.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whats worse is womens clothing. everytime i look at the womens clothing at the outlet, its all made in china, like black label leather jackets and collection knits and pants. dont think women care at all though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads