• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steam suits in Bathroom?

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
So the overall consensus is that the steamer will do more good than bad for the suit? How often do you steam your suits then? I may purchase this somewhere down the line...

I honestly don't think steaming can possibly do anything bad to your clothes. It is certainly WAY easier on them than dry cleaning, Febreeze, or moths.

I steam my stuff pretty often. Turn the steamer on when you get in the shower, then when you get out just give your suit a quick steam.

iand

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
It can mess up any ironwork that was done to tailored clothing.
This post explains it articulately:
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=88504

A taster:
Originally Posted by jefferyd
First of all, NEVER use a steamer on a suit, and never hang your suit in a steamy bathroom. This bears repeating. NEVER use a steamer on a suit, and never hang your suit in a steamy bathroom.
Whether the opinion is a little exaggerated or not I do not know.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a forum. Buy expensive clothes, then balk at the price of steamers, irons, ironing boards, and shoe trees needed to take care of said clothes.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will hang a suit in the bathroom while I take a shower when I travel to steam out any wrinkles. But if you want to get rid of food, smoke or other odors, steam won't do it. You need to hang it up in fresh, circulating air for a day or two after wearing.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I will hang a suit in the bathroom while I take a shower when I travel to steam out any wrinkles. But if you want to get rid of food, smoke or other odors, steam won't do it. You need to hang it up in fresh, circulating air for a day or two after wearing.

Really? This works? Are you not scared of moths or something eating at your woolens or suit

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find the best thing to do is just incinerate the damn thing completely.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Well I wonder if the steamer is worth while. I am investigating as we speak. I have spoken to several people who also say when they travel with suits they will do the same to get some wrinkles out.
Originally Posted by SirGrotius
I find the best thing to do is just incinerate the damn thing completely.
suuuuure! lol

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iand

Whether the opinion is a little exaggerated or not I do not know.

No exaggeration. Pressing a garment is complex and steam is only one element of the process. Steam is like rain. A little keeps the grass green and too much causes damage.

If you live in a humid climate you will see excessive puckering on suits in high humidity. That is the number one cause of puckering and wrinkles. Steaming alone infuses cloth with moisture and when you are steaming the entire garment and not using it on a specific area you can cause problems. If you are warm blooded and perspire a lot your clothes will wrinkle more. Ironically, better quality clothes are more prone to damage when there are areas where fullness has been added like sleeves, shoulders, or collars but it can also cause puckering on lapels and along seams.

Tailors use steam when pressing but it is very controlled and followed by heat, pressure and drying. Vacuum boards remove the moisture and "finish" the process. Steam gets out wrinkles but just letting the garment hang out will do some good too without risking damage to your clothes.

stubloom

Reaction score
I agree with Despos on this one. Jeffery Diduch's comment on another SF thread (and linked to by iand above) is, in my estimation, the definitive word on this subject. Back in May 2010, I got so sick of hearing clients tell me that they steam their bespoke, made to measure garments and other high quality garments with a steamer or hang them in the bathroom that I wrote a blog post entitled "The myth of pressing a garment with steam". While that is solid advise for those that wear bespoke, made to measure or other high quality garments, I'm not sure that advice will resonate with dieselman89 who is required to wear a suit and tie on a daily basis while working in a restaurant. We know 2 things: 1. Steaming is NOT going to remove that acrid, greasy odor that permeates the clothing of folks who work in restaurants. 2. Steaming is NOT going to result in a "pressed" garment. As a purist, I don't have the solution to dieselman89's dilemma. Blog post: The myth of pressing a garment with steam http://ravefabricare.com/true-qualit...ith-steam.aspx

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
[/b]

Really? This works? Are you not scared of moths or something eating at your woolens or suit

Airing will kill the moth larvae. I air a suit for 12 hrs at least after wear (I smoke alot, including pipe) then I put it back in the closet which has small sacks of lavender. I try to minimize the dry cleaning - once a year - and if a suit is totally wrinkled, it gets to my tailor for a new press.
If you are in a job that puts a lot of stress on your suits, just buy less expensive ones for the work (consider them "overalls") and have the better garment for your self.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stubloom
I agree with Despos on this one. Jeffery Diduch's comment on another SF thread (and linked to by iand above) is, in my estimation, the definitive word on this subject.

Back in May 2010, I got so sick of hearing clients tell me that they steam their bespoke, made to measure garments and other high quality garments with a steamer or hang them in the bathroom that I wrote a blog post entitled "The myth of pressing a garment with steam".

While that is solid advise for those that wear bespoke, made to measure or other high quality garments, I'm not sure that advice will resonate with dieselman89 who is required to wear a suit and tie on a daily basis while working in a restaurant.

We know 2 things:

1. Steaming is NOT going to remove that acrid, greasy odor that permeates the clothing of folks who work in restaurants.

2. Steaming is not going to result in a "pressed" garment.

As a purist, I don't have the solution to dieselman89's dilemma.

Blog post: The myth of pressing a garment with steam
http://ravefabricare.com/true-qualit...ith-steam.aspx

Although, there is no solution this is a great post. Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads