• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

alpaca

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
anybody ever had, seen, alpaca pants? I was thinking of getting a sport coat made in Alpaca, and then I was thinking "why not a suit?" but I don't know how it would stand up as pants. anybody know?

donCarlos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Alpaca suits were reasonably common tropical wear once. And the stuff was used as linings as well. I've been looking for it unsuccessfully for a couple of years - if you find some let me know.
Tropical wear? Is it even possible to make lightweight material from alpaca?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alpaca suits were reasonably common tropical wear once. And the stuff was used as linings as well. I've been looking for it unsuccessfully for a couple of years - if you find some let me know.

I have a source for some very nice royal baby alpaca. I might be in position for a trade.......

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Alpaca is hoooooot.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Alpaca is hoooooot.

I had intended it for an overcoat, myself. but I was thinking that it would be cool for a cold weather suit.

like I said - the big question that I had would be if it would hold out in the pants. any input oh wise one?

asdf

Reaction score
Alpaca is hoooooot.

+1

This is why will's comment threw me off.

IIRC, Alpaca is the warmest natural fibre.

eh.gif

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Alpaca suit?

Alpaca is sort of like camel's hair? Long fibers? If you had a whole suit made from it, would you look like a bunny rabbit? I'm getting a Donnie Darko vibe here.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alpaca is finer than mohair but not as fine as a camel's hair. It's warm without a lot of weight and it repels water. Available only in natural colors or dyed a darker shade...

I have a friend that has an alpaca farm. They make lots of sweaters and socks from the alpaca's fur.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have not seen any worsted alpaca that was not a jacketing. I can't imagine it holding out as pants. You read about things like this from the '30s but it must have been for people who could treat certain items as disposable. Old magazines talk about Sheltand suits, which I also can't imagine.

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
I went to a fair last fall and saw a real, live alpaca. Nearby was a real, live llama. They looked similar except one was a lot taller. Are fabrics made from llama wool too?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have not seen any worsted alpaca that was not a jacketing. I can't imagine it holding out as pants. You read about things like this from the '30s but it must have been for people who could treat certain items as disposable. Old magazines talk about Sheltand suits, which I also can't imagine.

yeah, that is what I thought. oh, well

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 According to a fabric reference that I have, it's mainly used to make lightweight coats, suits, dresses and sportswear. I've only ever seen it as sportswear - sweaters and socks and never as a suit or pants. That would be like having a camel's hair or cashmere suit. Legally, however, it can be labeled as wool. It's probably mixed with wool sometimes (just a guess).
Originally Posted by Peak and Pine
I went to a fair last fall and saw a real, live alpaca. Nearby was a real, live llama. They looked similar except one was a lot taller. Are fabrics made from llama wool too?
Llama wool isn't as strong as alpaca and it has some very coarse, brittle hairs called kemp which makes it less valuable. Alpacas are technically camels - or, they come from the camel family called lamoid. There are several similar animals from the lamoid family that live in the Andes of South America: vicuna - extremely expensive wool, twice as fine as finest merino. vicuna - paco - vicuna father and alpaca mother. Very rare. guanoquito - young guanaco - llama and alpaca are believed to be direct descendants of the guanaco. huacaya - also called bacaya huahua - a young llama huarizo - has a llama father and alpaca mother paco-llama or misti - alpaca father and llama mother suri - type of alpaca - has finer, lustrous, thicker fleece which is about 2' long and hangs to the ground reference for info about wool fabrics

sm31

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peak and Pine
No; I think it's too course or something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads