• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you "dress up" for shopping?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by timeless
"butt-necked"?
Head ***********? Just a possibility...
smile.gif
(I think he means butt-nekkid)

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Odd Morsel
Not I. Although every other person does here at South Coast Plaza in the OC... I suppose it's one more place to show off your new gear, so it makes some sense.

That's funny, I am frequently in South Coast Plaza and the apparel of the overwhelming majority of male shoppers I see ranges from mediocre to egregious! I don't know how your observations can be so different from mine.

Anytime I go into a place where decent menswear is sold, I like to be reasonably well turned out--in one of my better sport coats or blazers, decent shirt and slacks and good shoes. Partly this is out of respect to the establishment but mostly for my own self respect. In a place where fine menswear is offered and the sales associates are customarily well dressed, why would I wish to look like a hobo or ragamuffin? As a general matter, I maintain certain minimum standards of dress whenever I go out in public--even for such mundane matters as walking the dog or running into the market, i.e., no T-shirts, shorts, sandals, sneakers or sweatshirts. I do not own any blue jeans.

That said, any salesperson who would ignore a potential customer because he was poorly dressed is a bloody idiot in this day and age. As others have pointed out, many very affluent men dress abysmally.

Syl

Reaction score
As others said, if I'm looking for something specific to match with an item, I'll make sure to wear that item.
Otherwise, I usually dress well when going out for whatever reason so it's a non-issue. However I have found that regardless of how you dress, the level of professionalism at stores vary no matter what.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I shop butt-necked in front of my computer at home, my only concern is not touching the mouse with the nuts hand. FTW

scared of a nutty mouse?

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
As for me, I tend to dress quite casually when I shop. If you want attention, definitely dress up. I kind of like the stealth shopping method. Give the guy who is genuinely nice to you the business. If a salesperson wants to pass you up just because you're wearing jeans and a t shirt, make him sorry for not helping you and spend your money with someone else.
+1 indeed. i try to dress down whenever i go shopping (rarely in a mall). people tend to ignore me because of my age and casual dress, but i'm more content exploring on my own. haven't really yet encountered any extremely/blatantly rude SA's, though. i think it's because SA's in/around seattle are used to rich guys dressed as bums
laugh.gif
Originally Posted by clarity
I wear jeans and a t. Makes trying stuff on easy.
+2. i could never figure out how women in the wintertime could stand to wear all that fanciness and have to remove it and replace them for every single store they visit. same for guys.

smithsj

Reaction score
I wouldn't say that I "dress up" as in something I would wear to work or out to dinner, but I certainly dress tidy when I go shopping in that my t shirt/button down/polo is free of wrinkles and my jeans are well fitting.

I'm a huge believer in the saying, "It's not what you wear but how you wear it" in this situation. I think that I can look much more presentable in jeans and a t shirt than the average joe in an ill fitting suit and tie.

Biscione

Reaction score
Never when shopping for clothing. I wear things that I can easily remove and put-on (e.g. chelsea boots, not ties, loafers, pants that are durable), which usually means being dressed down.

slipperywhenwet

Reaction score
The bare minimum that I wear is usually dark jeans and a blazer, but I regularly wear suit pants and a collared shirt, or a full suit when I go shopping. Actually, unless I'm working out, I "dress up" every time I go outside. I also never wear sneakers unless I'm going to a punk show.

My reason for this is simple: I'm single and I live in a city full of beautiful women. Any chance I get to turn their heads, I will use to my full advantage. Also, being a young man who looks even younger than he is, I rarely get respect when I go shopping in North America.

Some of my friends have said that I shouldn't try so hard, and I should dress more casually, relying on my good nature and kindness to attract women. I respond by telling them that they dress like **** and should be ashamed, thereby proving that I have a horrible horrible nature, and need all the help I can get.

Shraka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slipperywhenwet
Some of my friends have said that I shouldn't try so hard, and I should dress more casually, relying on my good nature and kindness to attract women. I respond by telling them that they dress like **** and should be ashamed, thereby proving that I have a horrible horrible nature, and need all the help I can get.

LOLOLOLOL!

That's going in my sig.

Spilotro

Reaction score
I went shopping tonight with a couple of girls I'm friends with, and one of them remarked "I feel like I'm on a date", referring to the fact that I looked nice. However, these two are used to me looking like an unwashed hick throughout high school, and they still haven't gotten used to me being aware of my appearance
tongue.gif

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by timeless
"butt-necked"?

Freek'n You (Mr. Dalvin's Freak Mix)
Sit back, kick up your feet upon my glass table
Grab the remote baby, check my ****** on cable
I got the hey love album, plus Jodeci
Roll this up, the Easyrider near the ash tray
Full moons, skunk weed up all up in the room
You got the munchies, baby, ice cold milk and Lorna Dunes
How you like it baby? I like it on the sink
You freak me, butt-naked in a long mink
Yo, I like my power-U warm, study Islam
Play it off, if my wife call, you're my cousin Dawn
Solomon had many wives I see many thighs
Stab meat like knives, I tranked by your chinky eyes
You're razor baby, this a stick up, throw your legs up
You fake freak in the morning cuz at midnight, you gave up
You had me harder than a roll of quarters
You felt the snake-head, you can't cook, you can't ****
Chick your act is dead
Hit the icebox wench, grab me a beer or
can't explain it no clearer, you be the one, lately starin in the mirror
Jodeci style, K-Ci
JoJo, Dalvin, DeVante
All day like Harry Belafonte, yo, yes y'all yes
Check it, it be the Wu, Tang, Wu, Tang
Jodeci joint, pullin ladies like a hamstring
Take the joint y'all, word up, ninety-six
The year two thousand going on like cousins
Take it out halfdozens, chickenheads I get to pluckin
Uhh, how you like me now baby?

sanrensho

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spilotro
I went shopping tonight with a couple of girls I'm friends with, and one of them remarked "I feel like I'm on a date", referring to the fact that I looked nice. However, these two are used to me looking like an unwashed hick throughout high school, and they still haven't gotten used to me being aware of my appearance
tongue.gif

That sounded like a cue.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members