• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

camez_

Reaction score
This is a solid and comprehensive list. The only addition that I can think of is “superbio and beausoleil” from drapers/vbc. It’s essentially the updated 13oz 5 star bunch(discontinued).

Overall, once fully updated, the list should be bookmarked. Shoutout to @camez_

Funny enough, it's one of my favorite ones and I still forgot it. Thanks!

camez_

Reaction score
It’s just rebranded.

I was curious about five star, I’ve never seen the book. Is it a worsted? Or is it a worsted flannel? I have an old five star back when Carlo Barbara made it that is a worsted flannel (and awesome fabric). So I was curious about other’s experience with the fabric.

It was and still is VBC' Made in England range. Historically, many Italian merchants had their English ranges and this is one of the worsted wool ones. It got quite legendary as it was quite inexpensive, had very nice designs and a consistent high quality without any big issues.

Noirkw

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Loro Piana still offers their Pecora Nera cloth? Some of my local tailor shops stopped stocking this bunch since early this year.

I can still see it as available

pec.jpg

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was and still is VBC' Made in England range. Historically, many Italian merchants had their English ranges and this is one of the worsted wool ones. It got quite legendary as it was quite inexpensive, had very nice designs and a consistent high quality without any big issues.
Interesting, I wonder if I’m mistaken about the five star I have being a worsted flannel. The hand is so soft, I assumed it was a worsted flannel. At any rate, if you can find Carlo barbera for drapers (pre vbc / drapes merger), you’ve struck money. That fabric is outstanding. There’s a reason kiton sources all their fabric from barbera.

camez_

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Loro Piana still offers their Pecora Nera cloth? Some of my local tailor shops stopped stocking this bunch since early this year.

yes, they do. I just looked it up. I heard something about it being phased out or integrated into other bunches but that's no the case so far.

camez_

Reaction score
another interesting aspect is that Draper's/VBC still sells cloth under the Five Stars brand, but only in Asia. They also offer limited seasonal cloth

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anybody had a blazer made up in one of the two Bateman Ogden Apollo navy hopsacks? If so would you be willing to post a photo?

DaAlSh

Reaction score
let's make a list:

standeven - british classic
dugdale - royal classic vantage / english & town classics
Drapers - superbio and beausoleil (ex five stars)
holland & sherry - intercity / city of london
fox bros - worsted classics
hfw - classic
schofield & smith - westminster
bateman ogden - westminster II & york (both 14oz tho) as they don't have a 12/13oz range?!
smith woolens - botany
harrison's - oyster

I surely have forgotten some, but this is the essential list.

I'm a big fan of Standeven's, drapers' and H&S' cloth, so I'm a bit biased
dry hand, good drape, everything you could ask for

botany is a bit softer to the hand iirc
As I understood it, Fox were famous for making flannels, not worsteds. Furthermore, pretty sure they have shut their factory and now buy in, so have essentially become a distributor rather than producer. I don't understand the love for their current production - sure, it's nice, but priced probably twice what it's worth.

MRex

Reaction score
As I understood it, Fox were famous for making flannels, not worsteds. Furthermore, pretty sure they have shut their factory and now buy in, so have essentially become a distributor rather than producer. I don't understand the love for their current production - sure, it's nice, but priced probably twice what it's worth.
Interesting. What do you recommend instead of Fox for flannels?

DaAlSh

Reaction score
Interesting. What do you recommend instead of Fox for flannels?
There's nothing 'wrong' with Fox flannel (I have a suit in it) - it's just massivley expensive for what it is. Otherwise, I have flannels in both Minnis and Harrisons, that are equally good (if push came to shove, I slightly prefer the Harrisons to the other two).

MRex

Reaction score
There's nothing 'wrong' with Fox flannel (I have a suit in it) - it's just massivley expensive for what it is. Otherwise, I have flannels in both Minnis and Harrisons, that are equally good (if push came to shove, I slightly prefer the Harrisons to the other two).
Exactly. Most of Fox's cloth selection is very expensive... I think their covert cloth is over $300/m, and their coating isn't much cheaper...

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bossiniusa1