• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2023 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DG123

Reaction score
I have been saving up for a while to purchase a pair of LHS Color 8 in shell cordovan. They will be my first "nice" shoe.

A few questions:
1) I plan to head into AoM to purchase a pair. Can I rely on them to size me correctly?

Try on shoes because nobody is going to know what is a proper fit better than you.

DG123

Reaction score
. I'm experiencing pain on instep and was curious if this would get better over time with shell cordovan. I've attached an illustration to show where exactly I feel the pain. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 1932513
I expect one width wider will provide you a better fit. In other words, if your pair is a D width sell that and buy a pair of E width.

closetoyou

Reaction score
I expect one width wider will provide you a better fit. In other words, if your pair is a D width sell that and buy a pair of E width.

Thanks. I have a lot of heel slippage with this one that I was hoping I would get used to. A little worried an E might make that worse, or would it make it better?

Also, I've had 6.5D in these and they were all around too small, for reference.

Last edited:

DG123

Reaction score
Thanks. I have a lot of heel slippage with this one that I was hoping I would get used to. A little worried an E might make that worse, or would it make it better?

If your current (tight instep) pair is 7D a 7E will relieve the instep pressure but also increase the amount of heel area volume. If you really like the shoe model, then try the 7E . As long as a loafer stays on the foot reasonably well, I don't mind heel slippage.

closetoyou

Reaction score
If your current (tight instep) pair is 7D a 7E will relieve the instep pressure but also increase the amount of heel area volume. If you really like the shoe model, then try the 7E . As long as a loafer stays on the foot reasonably well, I don't mind heel slippage.
Thank you!

Ancestral Star

Reaction score
AoM should be fine...but be very, very confident that you get the right size. Loafers are the toughest shoe to fit correctly, initial heel slippage will likely improve a bit but not completely if they aren't a perfect fit, and wearing thinner/thicker socks isn't really an optimal solution. Go into the fitting with the realization that not everyone can wear loafers comfortably. Good luck!

I second this opinion. I too bought a pair of color 8 LHS loafers from AoM after being sized by their guys, but unfortunately ended up selling them. I found that the Van last in particular does not work for my feet, even in a C width. Something of course I did not realize till weeks after making the purchase. I had more luck with the shape of the Aberdeen last. So to reiterate, not all lasts work on all feet, regardless of being properly sized on a Brannock device.

qtip.416

Reaction score
Colour 8 U Tip Chukka.

A34FFE4A-1D4C-4294-958B-8067B1CA7630.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy PTB Tuesday forum pals.

IMG_2710.jpg

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not every last fits every foot. I don't think I could live with a little heel slippage, especially if it came with pain on the top of the foot too.

closetoyou

Reaction score
Not every last fits every foot. I don't think I could live with a little heel slippage, especially if it came with pain on the top of the foot too.
I'm sadly learning the Van last might not for me. I really do like how these loafers look though.

Since everywhere else fits fine (minus that one boney part on top), would there be any ways make this pair work?

DJYello

Reaction score
I'm sadly learning the Van last might not for me. I really do like how these loafers look though.

Since everywhere else fits fine (minus that one boney part on top), would there be any ways make this pair work?
I usually wear 8.5E in Barrie last, and ended up getting a 9D for the loafers. Like you, I felt the a little pain at the top of the foot but it went away after an hour and also a little heel slip. Mine were suede though. Also check to see your sock is not bunching up in that area an causing a pressure point.
I'm looking to pick up the black shell loafers and will see how the 8.5E feel.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UPS just dropped off these Color 8 beauties from Ealdwine! Love the mahogany edges and flat 270 welt which really ties in the sleek Plaza last. The blind eyelets complete the look and make for a stunning boot! Some Renovateur and GG laces will be next, but I may opt to keep the round laces that @Misterg12 included.
PXL_20230404_193955888.jpg

PXL_20230404_194016097.jpg

PXL_20230404_194025168.jpg

PXL_20230404_194033639.jpg

PXL_20230404_194042044.jpg

PXL_20230404_194050327.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily