• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kid1002

Reaction score
You should really try the 11oz explorer! I’ve been so happy with mine, and it wears very cool for the weight. The 8 oz felt kinda flimsy
I would tend to agree in most scenarios. I’ve seen some puckered 8oz Explorer suits in the past. However I was really into this particular pattern of which is not available in an 11oz variant.

CLH03

Reaction score
There were some nice patterns in the 11 ounce and it looked quite open. Does it feel scratchy when wearing it? That was what put me off of some of the options in that weight when going through the book.
It’s definitely slightly scratchy, like many of the fresco type cloths out there, but it’s definitely bearable. It feels better to me than the Minnis Fresco, if you’re familiar with that. I honestly have grown to like the dryer coarser feeling stuff

I’m actually wearing it today, and it’s perfect for this kind of 60s-70s weather we’ve been having.

Attachments

• 6D03A50C-9ED6-4119-A7F1-F8B7C215C0E6.jpeg
    6D03A50C-9ED6-4119-A7F1-F8B7C215C0E6.jpeg
    367.5 KB · Views: 68

WhereNext

Reaction score
It’s definitely slightly scratchy, like many of the fresco type cloths out there, but it’s definitely bearable. It feels better to me than the Minnis Fresco, if you’re familiar with that. I honestly have grown to like the dryer coarser feeling stuff

I’m actually wearing it today, and it’s perfect for this kind of 60s-70s weather we’ve been having.
Thanks, that’s helpful. I wasn’t clear in my first question (apologies to @camez_ ): I was trying to get a sense of the relative scratch factor compared to other similar fabrics. I have a few things in Minnis Fresco 10-11 and am on the hunt for the unicorn of similar open weave performance but softer hand. I know this is a long running discussion on the board (Frontier, Fox Air, Crispaire, etc.), but hadn’t seen as much about the Explorer other than it being recommended. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

CLH03

Reaction score
Thanks, that’s helpful. I wasn’t clear in my first question (apologies to @camez_ ): I was trying to get a sense of the relative scratch factor compared to other similar fabrics. I have a few things in Minnis Fresco 10-11 and am on the hunt for the unicorn of similar open weave performance but softer hand. I know this is a long running discussion on the board (Frontier, Fox Air, Crispaire, etc.), but hadn’t seen as much about the Explorer other than it being recommended. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
For sure! I have heard lots of good things about Ascot 4 ply for a bit softer hand, but haven’t handled it myself. I’m sure others here could speak to it

WhereNext

Reaction score
For sure! I have heard lots of good things about Ascot 4 ply for a bit softer hand, but haven’t handled it myself. I’m sure others here could speak to it
Yeah, the Ascot book (in all of the plys) was quite nice. Definitely a contender for down the road, especially as it has some great patterns.

camez_

Reaction score

no worries
I have two pairs of explorer trousers (but no suit made up yet, it's in the making finally) and I think the scratchiness is not the worst, but it could be less imo

the issue with the 4ply is that the weight is not suitable for summer - at 370g it's just too much. yes, the cloth is softer and doesn't have the scratchiness of the other open weaves/frescos, however, it is just not suitable for warmer weathers. if you're running cold and the warmth doesnt bother you, this would be an option, for sure. it's ideal for spring/autumn types of weather, imo

the 2ply on the other hand, I only handled it in the bunch, haven't had a proper length of it in my hands yet. I suspect that the drape isn't the best compared to the 310g frescos, so I never bothered trying it out

other, heavier options would be Loro Piana Sopra Visso and Lovat's Bard - both at around 350g

WhereNext

Reaction score
no worries
I have two pairs of explorer trousers (but no suit made up yet, it's in the making finally) and I think the scratchiness is not the worst, but it could be less imo

the issue with the 4ply is that the weight is not suitable for summer - at 370g it's just too much. yes, the cloth is softer and doesn't have the scratchiness of the other open weaves/frescos, however, it is just not suitable for warmer weathers. if you're running cold and the warmth doesnt bother you, this would be an option, for sure. it's ideal for spring/autumn types of weather, imo

the 2ply on the other hand, I only handled it in the bunch, haven't had a proper length of it in my hands yet. I suspect that the drape isn't the best compared to the 310g frescos, so I never bothered trying it out

other, heavier options would be Loro Piana Sopra Visso and Lovat's Bard - both at around 350g
Much appreciated. It’s always good to hear how things wear in practice to go along with handling them in the book. I may try the 11 ounce Explorer for a pair of trousers first to see how I like it before trying a suit. It has some nice colors and patterns. I didn’t remember the Ascot 4-ply being quite so heavy, so that might be a deal breaker for me as I tend to run hot anyway.

twuthetiger

Reaction score
I had an ulster coat made with the same Harris tweed. Loved it so much I am making a jacket out of the same fabric. Super spongy and Pirozzi definitely knows how to make it comfortable and yet slimming! First fitting photos.

Attachments

• IMG_3658.jpeg
    IMG_3658.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3659.jpeg
    IMG_3659.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 92

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had an ulster coat made with the same Harris tweed. Loved it so much I am making a jacket out of the same fabric. Super spongy and Pirozzi definitely knows how to make it comfortable and yet slimming! First fitting photos.
Coat looks extremely comfy with good proportions already. Sleeves look roomy as well.

So far so really really good.

Not sure if I would request any changes other than what the tailor suggests.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics