• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NFL 2020-2021

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they should make one massive rule chage before every super bowl that only applies to this one game. For example, this year they could make it legal to make as many forward passes as you want, or penalties will only be called in the 2 and 4 quarters. Giving teams only 2 weeks to prepare for the unknown change would make the entire run up for more fascinating.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they should make one massive rule chage before every super bowl that only applies to this one game. For example, this year they could make it legal to make as many forward passes as you want, or penalties will only be called in the 2 and 4 quarters. Giving teams only 2 weeks to prepare for the unknown change would make the entire run up for more fascinating.

Rule #6,312, all active players must have been drafted in the first two rounds of the draft.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot remember a time I was as excited to watch a football game as I was last night. Not the outcome I was hoping for but, man, what a great season! I'm looking forward to what the Lions can do next year!

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cannot remember a time I was as excited to watch a football game as I was last night. Not the outcome I was hoping for but, man, what a great season! I'm looking forward to what the Lions can do next year!
Same...
I'm not going to fault Campbell for being the aggressive guy that got them there in the first place.
If Josh Reynolds catches the 4th down pass that hit both of his hands, the game is in all likelihood over.

Go Wings

brokencycle

Reaction score
Same...
I'm not going to fault Campbell for being the aggressive guy that got them there in the first place.
If Josh Reynolds catches the 4th down pass that hit both of his hands, the game is in all likelihood over.

Go Wings

I liked his aggressive play calling during the season. I just don't think it is appropriate in the situation last night. In a playoff game on the road, they had the chance to go up 3 scores at the half, take it. Then they had the chance to tie it, take it.

I'm not a big believer in momentum in sports because the data doesn't really support it, but when you drive down to inside the 10 and get stopped, it gets the crowd back in the game and is a blow to morale.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I liked his aggressive play calling during the season. I just don't think it is appropriate in the situation last night. In a playoff game on the road, they had the chance to go up 3 scores at the half, take it. Then they had the chance to tie it, take it.

I'm not a big believer in momentum in sports because the data doesn't really support it, but when you drive down to inside the 10 and get stopped, it gets the crowd back in the game and is a blow to morale.
On the ross tucker nfl podcast he was talking about momentum today. He said you can't find a player or coach who doesn't believe in it. I think there's something to that of the whole reason sports is great is the unpredictability. And while i think analytics are horrifically underused in football i think there is the human element that ultimately overrides everything. Otherwise coaches would be robots or AI or whatever. There has to be some recognition of our left tackle is getting smoked all week in practice even though xyz is the right thing to do he wont help us execute or that we have to maintain morale now etc.

Does that make sense?

brokencycle

Reaction score
On the ross tucker nfl podcast he was talking about momentum today. He said you can't find a player or coach who doesn't believe in it. I think there's something to that of the whole reason sports is great is the unpredictability. And while i think analytics are horrifically underused in football i think there is the human element that ultimately overrides everything. Otherwise coaches would be robots or AI or whatever. There has to be some recognition of our left tackle is getting smoked all week in practice even though xyz is the right thing to do he wont help us execute or that we have to maintain morale now etc.

Does that make sense?

It does; however, we, as people, don't like the idea that algorithms are better at decision making than humans. Simple algorithms are better than humans (marginally, but statistically significantly) in all kinds of fields, but because they aren't near certain, we don't feel comfortable trusting them because our minds don't get the comfort of certainty. So in something as uncertain as a sports event, going with a coach's gut feels better. You don't get to run the drive 100 times to take advantage of the 5% probability improvement.

Plus, we're very good at ex post facto rationalization, so we can always tell a great story on why it didn't or didn't work after the fact.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If a gsu player scores your team wins automatically

God thats stupid. Why would they do something stupid like that when they can do something like putting a circle in the corner of the endzone that if you catch a touchdown in you get 20 points?

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dan knows, as I do, that the Lions don't score any points in 3rd quarters. It's the last gasp of the Bobby Layne curse.
Getting the 7 points there was crucial.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It does; however, we, as people, don't like the idea that algorithms are better at decision making than humans. Simple algorithms are better than humans (marginally, but statistically significantly) in all kinds of fields, but because they aren't near certain, we don't feel comfortable trusting them because our minds don't get the comfort of certainty. So in something as uncertain as a sports event, going with a coach's gut feels better. You don't get to run the drive 100 times to take advantage of the 5% probability improvement.

Plus, we're very good at ex post facto rationalization, so we can always tell a great story on why it didn't or didn't work after the fact.
I dont think a coach knows better than algorithms i just think we cant take out the human factor. I mean we forget these are people doing a job. Think about what happens your coworkers perform when something inconsequential like a perceived tone in an email sets them off. People aren't inputs and outputs. There's an art to getting us to do what others want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads