• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zara outerwear?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are Zara's wool coats? They're not too expensive, and they seemed to fit well, but I don't know how well they'll hold up. I only need one for about ten or fifteen days a year, mostly when traveling to NY or Chicago. However, that style coat for less than their $250 price tag, with that fit, isn't easy to find.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are okay. Euro sizes so they are a little slim. Bought a hbone car coat one one 2 years ago, got minimal wear out of it b/c I have so many other jackets. Im interested in getting rid of it b/c I have no room, message me if you are interested.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i got the cropped pea coat for this year, seems ok for now. Haven't worn it really yet...the look is killer though, minus the stupid gold stitching on the collar

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
i got the cropped pea coat for this year, seems ok for now. Haven't worn it really yet...the look is killer though, minus the stupid gold stitching on the collar

Yea, I liked the look on that one, though I will need to go with a slightly different style to accomodate a blazer under it. I may just go with one of their knee-length overcoats, though I'd rather find something that's mid-thigh length.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Yea, I liked the look on that one, though I will need to go with a slightly different style to accomodate a blazer under it. I may just go with one of their knee-length overcoats, though I'd rather find something that's mid-thigh length.

it really fit the bill of the jackets I was trying to get from japan....cropped peacoat. Actually a bit surprised zara had one. I always find myself surprised about the interesting stuff they have. They had a cheap pair of black coated jeans I was trying to get, but never found my size.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I actually really like Zara's stuff of all kinds. I have more Zara stuff in my closet than clothes of any other brand. They make very nice modern cuts with reasonably good (much better than H&M) quality.

BonVivant

Reaction score
Don't buy them, I bought one when I was living in France and they not only have a strange fit, but are of poor quality. Two weeks after I bought it, the front buttons started falling off, something I found to be persistent in everything I tried from there. Instead, check out selections from J. Crew and Banana Republic. Here are some good options with pictures and prices concluded: http://www.savoirvivreny.com/2007/10...r-topcoat.html

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BonVivant
Don't buy them, I bought one when I was living in France and they not only have a strange fit, but are of poor quality. Two weeks after I bought it, the front buttons started falling off, something I found to be persistent in everything I tried from there. Instead, check out selections from J. Crew and Banana Republic. Here are some good options with pictures and prices concluded:
http://www.savoirvivreny.com/2007/10...r-topcoat.html

J. Crew/BR are very far from the fits/cuts that Zara is known for. I'd also disagree with the assertion that they are of higher quality. I probably own 40 pieces from Zara and have had zero quality issues.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For all winter coats in general, is there a particular month where most coats hit the racks? I'd like a slim fitting wool one for the winter

prozach1576

Reaction score
Zara has always had a ton of great looking wool coats when I've been there. I picked up this 3/4 grey coat that has this funky black denim double collar insert. It's hard to describe. I think it looks pretty cool but it's removable so I can take it out if I want to be a little more subdued. It was $179...pretty solid for a great looking, slim coat that I have to option of spicing up if I want.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BonVivant
Don't buy them, I bought one when I was living in France and they not only have a strange fit, but are of poor quality. Two weeks after I bought it, the front buttons started falling off, something I found to be persistent in everything I tried from there. Instead, check out selections from J. Crew and Banana Republic. Here are some good options with pictures and prices concluded:
http://www.savoirvivreny.com/2007/10...r-topcoat.html

yeah, i don't know why someone would suggest jcrew/br over zara as it's completely different aestethic.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
yeah, i don't know why someone would suggest jcrew/br over zara as it's completely different aestethic.

I like J. Crew a lot, but I also really like Ralph Lauren. While these two are very similar, I think BR is really different and hate that it gets compared with my beloved J. Crew.
wink.gif
Suprisingly I only own a few J. Crew items.

Also, Zara (which we just got in Atlanta) IMO is most like H&M, but more Euro-Trashy. However, their prices are really good, and not everything is Euro-Trashy. I saw plenty of raw denim for po' folks. However, I also saw a short tie on one of the associates and almost immediately left the store to go over to NM to look at the John Lobbs (
inlove.gif
).

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
I like J. Crew a lot, but I also really like Ralph Lauren. While these two are very similar, I think BR is really different and hate that it gets compared with my beloved J. Crew.
wink.gif
Suprisingly I only own a few J. Crew items.

Also, Zara (which we just got in Atlanta) IMO is most like H&M, but more Euro-Trashy. However, their prices are really good, and not everything is Euro-Trashy. I saw plenty of raw denim for po' folks. However, I also saw a short tie on one of the associates and almost immediately left the store to go over to NM to look at the John Lobbs (
inlove.gif
).

Ralph Lauren lost their mind with their prices. I remember when I saw some coat for 1400 dollars. I laughed out loud

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karenroger