• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Arche

Reaction score
Thanks for that info asobu. I didn't realise it was that old. In response to Ivwri's comments about Yohji's philosophy, I actually really like the idea of picking up items that have some history to them. I'm actually thinking about maybe getting a couple of other pieces. One is the jacket below. Does anyone recognise it? I don't have an image of the tag, so I can't check the season code. I'm interested because I would like to see if I can track down an image of someone wearing this. I like the overall look of this, but in this image it seems to bulge out rather a lot in the middle, rather than being uniformly boxy, giving a kind of pear-shaped silhouette. But maybe it looks quite different on.

davidlee388

Reaction score
Well, as most of you guys know, Yohji's SS13 showing for men is today. You can live stream the photos on here - http://nowfashion.com/28-06-2012-yohji-yamamoto-menswear-spring-summer-2013-paris-show-2074.html
Arche that's a really nice looking first pick up! I think sourcing Yohji from eBay/Y!/Rakuten/Classifieds etc. is probably the best way to go as you have the whole range of collections he has done as options that can become available hehe. You can also get soem very sweet deals. In a way, I think this is probably more in line with Yohji's philosophy as a designer. He famously said he wanted to "design time" after all, infusing his clothing with about 10 years of age and wear already before they were ever put on the rack for purchase. Picking stuff up used infuses his clothing with this character already and at way more reasonable prices than at retail which again helps with his philosophy of trying to design clothes for everybody as opposed to just a select few.
Well said Ivwri. Also a lot of the stuff on Y! auctions are really superb in quality, some 00s stuff ( even 90s ) sold there are kept in superb condition. Something to do with Japanese consumer culture I guess. I was reliably informed that the Japanese buy YY brand new from the stores, lightly use them ( some even unused ), stash them away and conveniently forget about them. A while later they will sell them to recycle shops for about 10/15% of the retail price without even feeling a bit of guilt. I also find in my own experience the Y! sellers are pretty honest and accurate about description and measurements of the items. The only downside is you need to proxy to buy from Japan unless you are based there. The proxies we use are pretty efficient and reliable as well.

eBay on the other hand is a bit of a minefield. Some eBay sellers put in runway pictures that are completely un-related to the items and some grossly mis-describe them ( Y's claimed to be YYPH etc ). Ought to be more careful.

Go to the YY retail outlets to check out current stuff if possible. You will find some current season stuff already look and feel vintage which are deliberately constructed that way so if we cannot afford to pay full retail or sale price in the shops ( still dear! ), buying from auctions/Classified makes sense, further echoing what Ivwri said.

dantebykiko

Reaction score

Thanks for that info asobu. I didn't realise it was that old. In response to Ivwri's comments about Yohji's philosophy, I actually really like the idea of picking up items that have some history to them. I'm actually thinking about maybe getting a couple of other pieces. One is the jacket below. Does anyone recognise it? I don't have an image of the tag, so I can't check the season code. I'm interested because I would like to see if I can track down an image of someone wearing this. I like the overall look of this, but in this image it seems to bulge out rather a lot in the middle, rather than being uniformly boxy, giving a kind of pear-shaped silhouette. But maybe it looks quite different on. 

I was thinking to buy this jacket. Very nice and simple. Great item if you want to start building Yohji wardrobe.

davidlee388

Reaction score
Damn! So envious right now. Very happy for you. Definitely take pics!! If possible one with Yohji himself, hehe.
Wearing SS08 jacket with SS08 zipper pants today. Tshirt is from SS12 and is very nice! The french seam detail is cool and makes for a very interesting standalone tshirt in my opinion. Very nice cotton too. Pants (HM - P01 - 007) are a 75Cotton/17Nylon/6Linen/2Polyurethane blend with cupro lining in some parts and look almost like a ramie blend of some sort. Very dry and soft. Wearing with Ann high tops.
Great fit! Need to find more SS08 pants for myself
worship.gif

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ivwri, are those the new season ann's with the jagged sole? or current s/s?

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments guys. I really wish I got my suspender pants with this same fabric. It is so nice and soft :drool:. Got those in a 100% cotton so they are crisper.

Arche, I think that jacket would look way nicer once worn. The way it drapes forward looks like it would add some incredible motion if worn open and your shoulders should take care of the rest if one with one button closed. Good buy in my opinion.

snow, they are the new season ann's. The jagged sole is what finally sold me on them (guess I will have to vibram them once they wear down). All the other iterations always looked too...flat..? Anyway, they are great shoes with a nice shape.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, i agree with you on that one(too flat). glad i held out on buying the ss version.

Arche

Reaction score
Well, I'd really like to buy that jacket I just posted, but I have no experience with proxies. Can anyone here suggest a good one. So far, I've only found a site called "import monster," that helps people to purchase things from Japanese auction sites, but they want to charge me more than the jacket itself will cost for postage and associated costs, which seems a bit ridiculous.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like that long jacket, Arche. Looks like a nice year-round item you could wear a lot.

Damn, valter! That's very cool. Have fun. I have to run to a meeting now, so I'm going to miss the live stream. Will catch up later today. Looking forward to see what Yohji brings this time.

:marchal:

dantebykiko

Reaction score
Sharpservice are the best! But yes I think you will pay quite a lot for the shipping, fees etc. The jacket cost around 5-6k if I can remember and ems shipping will be 2k-3k.

sshum

Reaction score
SS13 is live now. It looks like a version of the hakamas are back but what's the story with the cut & bruised looks?

elephantstone

Reaction score
Second that feeling.... Yohji is killing it.... The flow of the garments leave me in awe as usual. I especially like the color combination, it's just brilliant

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads