• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
^^^ embrace the geometries :)

this suit has massive shoulders creating a block silhouette , which i think works fine

Last edited:

TroubIe

Reaction score
@shah that looks great on you, unfortunately my jacket made me look like something out of the Thom Browne FW12 collection lol

Received 2 jackets and 2 pants recently, and I think I finally understand sizing for tops. As for bottoms... I'm still on my quest as every single Yohji bottom I have handled (4) fits very awkwardly...

+ Y's For Men Cotton Jacket, Size 2 with fitted shoulders
+ Y's (Women's, thought it was Men's but I was wrong) Cotton Pants I posted earlier

+ Y's Red Label Wool Gabardine Setup, Size 3

And another pair of Cotton sweats in size 3 that I didn't get a photo of.
The Jackets really fit me well, but the bottoms just simply do not give enough of a wide silhouette to support the top. When I am standing at ease / comfortably, the pants "bunch" forwards and create a really ugly curved silhouette (You can kind of see it in the right leg of the last picture) that looks like there is a loose, "invisible" pleat running down the centre, if that makes sense - kind of like this :

It looks fine when I have my hands in my pockets to hold the shape, but obviously I'd like it to look the same way when I'm just standing with my hands at my sides. Cuffing them helps a bit too but in the case of thicker fabrics it can create a really heavy looking "block" like in the 2nd pic which doesn't look too great. I haven't really seen this with anyone else's fits and I'm just wondering if that happens with anyone else?

Last edited:

StevenE

Reaction score
I'm browsing the new season Y-3 on their website - and I'm somewhat stunned at the amount trainers seem to have gone up. The boxing trainers are coming in at £399 now, up from about £200 last season. I got sala hi-tops last season on sale at Hervia, marked down from £195 - this season's model is listed at £427. I'm a little amazed. I recall reading that Peter Saville was involved in the new collection. I'm assuming that could be a reason for the increase?

I'll make a point of checking out the store next time in London to see if there's an obvious leap in quality in the handling. They must think they're on to something.

The full collection isn't up yet, but from the looks of things they've made a particular push towards futuristic fabrics across the whole line. There's a £1,500 hoody up for grabs. £900 t-shirt. It's boring to complain about the price but this season is shaping up to be something else. There's surely, surely, surely a risk of pricing themselves out the market? I'm leaning towards saying that there's been a mistake and they've put up the wrong prices.

EDIT - I'm thinking the prices must be wrong. I switched over to the US site and the same items are listed far, far lower in dollars. Cuffed pants for £300 are listed $220 in the US, etc, etc. I'm not quite sure how they appear to have bungled the listing quite so badly - either that or their EU pricing strategy is mad.

EDIT: Y-3's twitter feed suggests it's being looked at and fixed. I'm genuinely at a loss as to how they could have made a mistake with the pricing of almost every item.

Last edited:

Zephos

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've read most of the thread, but I just want to be clear about a specific sizing concern: as a 29Wx30L, how much of a classic Yohji silhouette should I expect from a pair of Y's wool blend trousers, size 2, 33" waist, 35" inseam, 7.25" hem?

StevenE

Reaction score
Suit came. I like it, definitely was worth the punt.

It is big for a M, both the suit and the trousers are wearable separately but together is a no. I assumed before they got here that the jacket would be fine and was less bothered about the trousers. As it is, the trousers seem quite easy to wear (especially thanks to the adjustable waist buttons, taking a 34" down to a 32"-ih waist), the jacket I like, but Dantebykiko was right in suggesting that, compared to later Yohji lines, it's potentially unforgiving on people who aren't big and tall, and I'm neither. It's certainly much, much larger than most of my other M and size 3 jackets, but it's more a matter of getting proportions right.

I think I'm going to let it sit for a while and see if it works its way into my wardrobe, might work best thrown over things, a bit like a coat. If not I can always pass it on.

If I find a way I like to wear it I'll post a fit.

Last edited:

davidlee388

Reaction score
@Steven just wear the jacket as a short coat as a layering piece. As regarding taking shoulder pads out, I've done it 4 times ( 3 YYPH and 1 80s Byblos blazers ) and all turned out fine. Didn't completely solve the problems ( 3 pieces to make cuffs finish longer on hands & 1 to release armhole space ) but make them wearable. One YYPH SS09 runway lace insert blazer I have even has in-situ removable shoulder pads so the pads can ( not always ) change the silhouette.

goatamous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All

I know next to nothing about Yohji, and I'm wondering if somebody can help me identify this Blazer.
I warn you in advance, the pictures are terrible

It's a long blazer, wool / silk, and seems to have this built in aesthetic that resembles an untied bowtie

these are the pics that were sent to me. I hope that somebody is able to ID a long black blazer based on the tie in front

thanks

surver

Reaction score
haha, just came across this pic taken in Hong Kong, 1941 by Harrison Forman... seems very in line with the AW14 collection ;P

dantebykiko

Reaction score
All

I know next to nothing about Yohji, and I'm wondering if somebody can help me identify this Blazer.
I warn you in advance, the pictures are terrible

It's a long blazer, wool / silk, and seems to have this built in aesthetic that resembles an untied bowtie

these are the pics that were sent to me. I hope that somebody is able to ID a long black blazer based on the tie in front

thanks
no

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members