• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you raise a price on B & S after an IC

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going to call this the connemara#2 poll.

If you had posted an IC post in the B & S forum with a price quoted, would you raise the price if you found out some things about the item that would definitely add to it's value. Things like a celebrity owner (though this is a new item), and a special and personal warranty/offer by the owner of the company that made the item.

I remember 2 pertinent instances similar to this. LabelKing did an interest check, IC, on a suit, I think that was by Cable Car Clothiers or something like that. He said something like it would be priced at around $125 or something close to that. He then got such a big response that he raised the price to about $175 and no one seemed to care.

If you are out there LK. please vote and comment.

And then there is the famous/infamous connemara "Pink Cashmere Tie" thread. Basically conne raised the price after it was sold and after he realized that he could get a higher price. The shitstorm that resulted was something like a 17 page thread. I think part of the problem was that conne had received the tie as a gift, had already accepted another offer, and some had thought he had done similar things previously.

If you are out there conne, please vote and comment.

I can say right now that my inclination is not to raise the price even though I realized that I probably priced it too low. "Do unto others!".

How would you guys handle something like this?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
I'm going to call this the connemara#2 poll. If you had posted an IC post in the B & S forum with a price quoted, would you raise the price if you found out some things about the item that would definitely add to it's value. Things like a celebrity owner (though this is a new item), and a special and personal warranty/offer by the owner of the company that made the item. I remember 2 pertinent instances similar to this. LabelKing did an interest check, IC, on a suit, I think that was by Cable Car Clothiers or something like that. He said something like it would be priced at around $125 or something close to that. He then got such a big response that he raised the price to about $175 and no one seemed to care. If you are out there LK. please vote and comment. And then there is the famous/infamous connemara "Pink Cashmere Tie" thread. Basically conne raised the price after it was sold and after he realized that he could get a higher price. The shitstorm that resulted was something like a 17 page thread. I think part of the problem was that conne had received the tie as a gift, had already accepted another offer, and some had thought he had done similar things previously. If you are out there conne, please vote and comment. I can say right now that my inclination is not to raise the price even though I realized that I probably priced it too low. "Do unto others!". How would you guys handle something like this?
That is incorrect. I did not accept the offer before I raised the price.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Happens all the time with houses. A listing is made, feelers are put out, and the owner pulls it from the market. Re-lists with a new, improved price. Or at least, that's how it used to be.

If your first price was way under market, there's only one person who has a right to be peeved, and that is the one who almost made the offer that would have been accepted. For everyone else, this falls under the category of $100 bills that lie on sidewalks for a long time. A pleasant fantasy.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Disclaimer: matt's opinion follows, not officially-sanctioned-moderator-position:

I think as long as there has been no offer at the lower price, it is fine...if you are screwing over some guy who had agreed to the earlier price before the seller knew what he now does, then I would say that is unfair.

I have no idea if we would allow a thread to be bumped for a price hike though.....

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Once someone sends a PM, the seller's offer is accepted, whether Conne likes it or not. At that point, the item should sell at the advertised price.

If that hasn't happened, I'd say it would be fair to simply remove the item from the sales forum and possibly relist it later, or on eBay.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is unfair unless the product is grossly undervalued in the asking price.

There was a court case I was reading where some guy's ex-wife sold his BMW for $5. She was part owner and the whole deal was technically legit, however the court overruled the sale later because the price lacked consideration.

Unless B&S is allowed to go auction style, at which point, the highest bidder is always acceptable.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
That is incorrect. I did not accept the offer before I raised the price.

Sorry about that. I thought someone had made you an offer that you accepted.

I never did post a firm price and I've certainly accepted no offers. It's so nice I just might keep it myself.

My feelings are very much like Concordia has posted.

"Happens all the time with houses. A listing is made, feelers are put out, and the owner pulls it from the market. Re-lists with a new, improved price. Or at least, that's how it used to be.

If your first price was way under market, there's only one person who has a right to be peeved, and that is the one who almost made the offer that would have been accepted. For everyone else, this falls under the category of $100 bills that lie on sidewalks for a long time. A pleasant fantasy."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads