• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh wow, those must be the ultimate SF hiking boots.

Last edited:

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Purchased a pair of brown 1000 mile boots from Revolve with the first time customer discount. First pair went back due to a number of deep scratches that were never going to brush out. Received replacements today. While these have a number of scrapes, scratches and imperfections that I might be able to live with, there are also these more substantial imperfections pictured below. Pictures are poor quality but I think show what I am seeing. Is this common? Should I accept this as the nature of the chromexcel?

Yes and yes. What you're seeing is natural variations in the leather used for the boots. Each pair will have slightly different coloring. It's reasonable to expect that every pair will have slightly different markings. They will get banged up on the first few wears anyways.

Think of it like this: the cow started to break your boots in for you.

cthip

Reaction score
Purchased a pair of brown 1000 mile boots from Revolve with the first time customer discount. First pair went back due to a number of deep scratches that were never going to brush out. Received replacements today. While these have a number of scrapes, scratches and imperfections that I might be able to live with, there are also these more substantial imperfections pictured below. Pictures are poor quality but I think show what I am seeing. Is this common? Should I accept this as the nature of the chromexcel?

Yes and yes. What you're seeing is natural variations in the leather used for the boots. Each pair will have slightly different coloring. It's reasonable to expect that every pair will have slightly different markings. They will get banged up on the first few wears anyways.

Think of it like this: the cow started to break your boots in for you.

I'm no expert, but the leather on dbc's boots does NOT look normal to me.

Chromexcel definitely does have some minor variation in color and grain, but those repeated parallel lines/scratches/wrinkles should not be there.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Chromexcel definitely does have some minor variation in color and grain, but those repeated parallel lines/scratches/wrinkles should not be there.

Welcome to full grain leather. What you're seeing is scars, strechmarks or whatever that the animal picked up while alive. In some circles this is highly regarded and sought after and can bring a premium price. Some call it flaws, I call it character marks and makes whatever is made from it unique.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I was going to say the same thing but Crane beat me to it.

I have a pair of vintage red wings from the 70's that have several vertical striations on one of the boots. I think it looks amazing. The effect is really stunning and I'd never trade it for a more even or consistent leather. This is not a perfect comparison, but it's a similar idea to the way some people really covet mill flaws in loomed denim. It just looks great and adds to the story.

Whether you like the scars or not will be a matter of opinion, but in no way would I consider those marks on the brown wolves a flaw (in the manufacturing or leather selection sense) in the boot. More like beauty marks.

Last edited:

Dbc0919

Reaction score

Welcome to full grain leather. What you're seeing is scars, strechmarks or whatever that the animal picked up while alive. In some circles this is highly regarded and sought after and can bring a premium price. Some call it flaws, I call it character marks and makes whatever is made from it unique.

^I was going to say the same thing but Crane beat me to it.

I have a pair of vintage red wings from the 70's that have several vertical striations on one of the boots. I think it looks amazing. The effect is really stunning and I'd never trade it for a more even or consistent leather. This is not a perfect comparison, but it's a similar idea to the way some people really covet mill flaws in loomed denim. It just looks great and adds to the story.

Whether you like the scars or not will be a matter of opinion, but in no way would I consider those marks on the brown wolves a flaw (in the manufacturing or leather selection sense) in the boot. More like beauty marks.

Thank you all for the information and education. Unfortunately, the looks just not for me. I guess I prefer my chomexcel like my women. . . . sans stretch marks.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say stretch mark, I would more compare it to Marilyn Monroe's beauty mark.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you all for the information and education. Unfortunately, the looks just not for me. I guess I prefer my chomexcel like my women. . . . sans stretch marks.

You're taste in both may evolve and you get older :nodding:

Last edited:

SullyDC

Reaction score
I recently ordered the wolverine 1000 mile boot from Sherman Brothers. After receiving my shipment today from the wolverine I inspected the boot and found what I think are some imperfections. I wanted to see if these "imperfections" are normal and acceptable or should I send back the boots for a different pair. Just to let you know I love the look and feel of the boots. They are super comfortable and look great. I would appreciate any advice you have. Also should I contact Sherman Brothers or Wolverine directly. Thanks.

Rear boot scuff - (sorry I don't know why the pic is rotated.)

Excess sole material flap - looks like it just trimmed properly

It's tough to see from this picture but where the welt ends right above the
heel there excess splinter of wood (sole material). This is on both sides
of both shoes but particular worse looking on this side.

Finally just a little scuff on one of the toe boxes.

seer

Reaction score
Hey guys, first I use my 1000 mile boots and shoes mostly for dress, with light hiking - so I like keeping them looking good - any hints or tricks for keeping the sole edging looking new? Thanks.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I recently ordered the wolverine 1000 mile boot from Sherman Brothers.  After receiving my shipment today from the wolverine I inspected the boot and found what I think are some imperfections. I wanted to see if these "imperfections" are normal and acceptable or should I send back the boots for a different pair.  Just to let you know I love the look and feel of the boots.  They are super comfortable and look great.  I would appreciate any advice you have.  Also should I contact Sherman Brothers or Wolverine directly.  Thanks.

There shouldn't be a scuff like that on the heel. It almost looks like the pair you have were a display model.

Hey guys, first I use my 1000 mile boots and shoes mostly for dress, with light hiking - so I like keeping them looking good - any hints or tricks for keeping the sole edging looking new? Thanks.

Good luck on that. Conditioning the edge helps but short of painting it it'll be what it will be.

Dayman

Reaction score
I recently ordered the wolverine 1000 mile boot from Sherman Brothers. After receiving my shipment today from the wolverine I inspected the boot and found what I think are some imperfections. I wanted to see if these "imperfections" are normal and acceptable or should I send back the boots for a different pair. Just to let you know I love the look and feel of the boots. They are super comfortable and look great. I would appreciate any advice you have. Also should I contact Sherman Brothers or Wolverine directly. Thanks.

Rear boot scuff - (sorry I don't know why the pic is rotated.)
I use Fiebing's leather sole & heel edge dressing - Brown. Its not like a lot of edge dressings that are like a paint almost. Its like a stain, so it runs easy if not careful, but it works great and theres nothing to peal off i just sets in.

seer

Reaction score
I use Fiebing's leather sole & heel edge dressing - Brown. Its not like a lot of edge dressings that are like a paint almost. Its like a stain, so it runs easy if not careful, but it works great and theres nothing to peal off i just sets in.
Great, thanks - I have been using a light wood stain, it has been working but I want to try something else - it takes days to dry.

SullyDC

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice...I contacted Sherman Brothers about the scuff on the boot and they are going to send me out a new pair. I could have easily lived with the other minor imperfections but the scuff did not look normal.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My sole edges are nearly black and the heels are dark shades of brown. It's got to be due to the differences in how and where they're worn. I remember when mine were new the sole edge coloring wore off extremely fast. A little boot oil and they darkened back up and then just got darker from there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads